Ruger sp-101 trigger job

miketx

sp101-jpg.244604

I find that the 14-pound pull or thereabouts on my Ruger was a bit much and affected accuracy so I wanted to lighten it up. I know it is by no means a target gun but it couldn't hurt so I ordered the SP-101 spring kit from Wolff Gun Springs at www.gunsprings.com.

spring-kit-jpg.244601

It was 10 bucks plus the shipping, so around 14 dollars. It comes with four springs, three different weight hammer springs, and one trigger spring. They say if you go with the lightest hammer spring you should replace the trigger spring with the one in the kit.

This pak contains 1 each 9, 10, and 12 pound reduced power hammer springs for Ruger SP-101 series revolvers and 1 each 8 pound trigger return spring allowing adjustment for lighter and smoother trigger and hammer action. Note: Factory trigger return spring is 10 pounds, factory hammer spring is 14 pounds.

Here is a video that shows how to do it. Follow all the precautions they say about not pulling the trigger when it's apart. I found out the hard way because somehow I pulled it.

I don't know how but I moved the trigger pawl, and a teeny tiny spring and plunger went flying! I looked and looked but never could find the parts. No touch trigger if you can help it!  All I did was replace the trigger return spring which was fairly easy, after getting the new plunger and spring.

trigger-assy-jpg.244607

ruger_sp101_schem-1-jpg.244605

I ordered the parts from Sturm-Ruger and they sent them at no charge and no shipping! Can't beat that!

I just got it all put back together and the trigger pull feels like it's a little more than half of what it was! When I get to the range, I'll post a range report next week sometime. It wasn't that hard once I got it apart and after decades of working on tiny parts and stuff in transmissions, it was fairly easy except for the lost parts. So if you think you wanna give it a try, go for it!

Went to the range  and shot a hundred rounds of 38/357. The 357 was some off-brand imported stuff, and I threw the box away so I can't recall the name. The 38 was American Eagle. All the 38 went bang but I had two light strikes with the magnum stuff. I don't know if it's the ammo or the gun seeing how it was no name import, but I'm just assuming. So, given my paranoia, I researched the trigger job and people that have had that happen say they took the 9 pound hammer spring out and replaced it with the ten-pound spring and all was good, so I put the 10 pound in. I can't tell much difference in the pull so that's good. 

Now for accuracy improvement. I'd say it was all good. This is one of the Shoot n See targets I used.

sp101-target-jpg.244646

This was from about 7-8 yards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...