Just venting because People So Stupid...

Mrs.Cicero

20 hours ago, railfancwb said:

The more I learn the less I know. I grew up in a congregation which had communion and took offerings every Sunday. I’ve been noticing that more and more congregations are reducing the frequency of communion to monthly, quarterly, even annually. But all seem to still want offerings every week. 

My soon-to-be-former church has had communion once a month for as long as I can remember.  Even the church I grew up in was only having communion once a month and that was 50 years ago.  Anyway, the church didn't take offerings during covidiocy (no passing those plates with germs, you know) - but since they had an online app that let you donate that way, some people just did that.  It  wasn't mentioned in regular services beyond  the usual "You can get the church app at the App Store, it has the calendar, weekly messages and announcements and prayer requests, the sermon video will be up there, and you can give online if you prefer," that was usually included somewhere in all those morning announcements.  One of the churches I visited recently did have communion while I was there, but it was like a slapdash quickie addition to the end of the service - if it took them 5 minutes to get through it (with at least 300 people present), I'd be surprised.  There was no explanation for anyone new to the experience, no time to think or pray during it, to admonition to consider anything.  It was just... weird.  I have mixed feelings about it anyway, because... fog machine.  Okay, it's a whole 'nother topic, but I have serious questions about how donations and tithes are being spend when the stage has a fog machine.  I understand the need for a good sound system, but fog?  really?  

• Thanks 1