Firefighter technology kicks ass

kerbie18

I recently responded to a major fire. I serve in a support role. I mostly control traffic, and I control the crowd, while the fire fighters deal with the actual fire. I can also provide first aid support if needed.

First of all, I noticed several younger firefighters smiling like it was christmas morning. They were in a state of absolute glee that they got a chance to handle a major fire. They truly love their job, and the thrill of getting to run into a burning building. 

Our fire department has a fleet of new drones. These are almost pocket sized drones, measured in inches. They are capable of flying hundreds of feet above the fire, and transmitting high definition video including infra-red. They can transmit high definition video in infra-red that shows hot spots that firefighters must fight. This video not only gets transmitted to command staff, but it can be transmitted to any first responder with a smart phone app. Any first responder on scene, either a fire fighter or other first responder, can see live drone data of the situation. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Firemen are going to get killed. When they join the department they face that fact. When a man becomes a fireman his greatest act of bravery has been accomplished. What he does after that is all in the line of work. They were not thinking of getting killed when they went where death lurked. They went there to put the fire out, and got killed. Firefighters do not regard themselves as heroes because they do what the business requires.

Chief Edward F. Croker quotes

• Like 1