ODBii Scanners - Which one?

inthefrey

4 hours ago, inthefrey said:

Looking for recommendations for a new ODBII scanner. We own Subaru vehicles. (04 and 08)

Looking for one that will give me a live data stream that doesn't cost  over $100.

Thanks in advance!

inthefey

Not sure what you mean by "Live data stream".  Most devices are just code readers.   they read and you  reset. 

The only "live stream" i've ever used was a dongle that went to my computer and you could actually read the data as the car ran.  This did not fit into a $100 budget though.

On 4/11/2022 at 6:17 PM, GT4494 said:

Not sure what you mean by "Live data stream".  Most devices are just code readers.   they read and you  reset. 

The only "live stream" i've ever used was a dongle that went to my computer and you could actually read the data as the car ran.  This did not fit into a $100 budget though.

I have seen them able to view/graph  your O2 sensor(s), engine temp, etc. output LIVE.  This is basically what I'm looking for.

This may be the one....
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/innova-carscan-advisor-5210/12071147-p?

28 minutes ago, inthefrey said:

I have seen them able to view/graph  your O2 sensor(s), engine temp, etc. output LIVE.  This is basically what I'm looking for.

This may be the one....
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/innova-carscan-advisor-5210/12071147-p?

I can't argue against that, it appears to fill your needs, so go ahead and buy it if you wish.

I have achieved similar results with a Bluetooth to Smart Phone adapter, using an app, at a far far lower price point. 

Your experience may vary, no offense.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

I can't argue against that, it appears to fill your needs, so go ahead and buy it if you wish.

I have achieved similar results with a Bluetooth to Smart Phone adapter, using an app, at a far far lower price point. 

Your experience may vary, no offense.

NO! Please Tell me! I have not purchased anything yet? STill looking for recommendations. If the one you mentioned will show me live data. Got a link to share?

(*trying to diagnose failing catalytic converter or 02  sensors)

I will say it is much better then the $40 one that just gives codes and resets...  BUT, the 5610 model is what I was thinking you were describing.  It gives you the data but also charts the data to the screen.  plus it gives you the info needed to reset the ABS system lights.  

It boils down to what you will be using the reader for.  I have a "simple" code reader to see why the "check engine" light is on and this works great for most uses.  The system I have for VWs will check out every controller (computer there are 30+) in the car including the stereo etc.. 

I have yet to figure out where the OBDII port is on the Model A tough.  :)