I'm finally getting my SWORD!

Borg warner

Not exactly a Sword, actually.  it's a Cold Steel Gladius "Machete" that is much more like a Roman short sword than it is a machete. I had one years ago but gave it to my nephew and tehn later decided I liked it so much I wanted to get another one for my self. I have one other sword, a Samurai sword and I used to take lessons that were a combination of Kendo (sword fighting) and Bojitsu (staff fighting) and we learned the moves to use with the short staff to counter the sword.

I have a nice modern Katana with a sturdy but plain handle but with an excellent steel blade that takes a razor sharp edge. It cost about 200 dollars.

I ordered the Cold steel Gladius almost a year ago in August 2021 and unfortunately Cold steel was back ordered on a lot of their machetes which I was told by a friend at a local gun shop who I bought my original one from, came from South Africa. I ordered my newest one from a place called KnifeCenter, and it was less that what Cold steel charged but with shipping about the same, and after I placed my order they sent me an email and said that it was back-ordered from Cold steel and I could either get a refund or wait until cold steel had them again and that they would send me an email every two weeks updating me as to the status and would notify me when my order was shipped. Recently I was tired of waiting and almost canceled teh order but just this morning got an email that my order had shipped USPS and provided me with a tracking number.

Cold steel_1.JPG

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

Not exactly a Sword, actually.  it's a Cold Steel Gladius "Machete" that is much more like a Roman short sword than it is a machete. I had one years ago but gave it to my nephew and tehn later decided I liked it so much I wanted to get on for my self. I have one other sword, a Samurai sword and I used to take lessons that were a combination of Kendo (sword fighting) and Bojitsu (staff fighting) and we learned the moves to use with the short staff to counter the sword.

I have a nice modern Katana with a sturdy but plain handle but with an excellent steel blade that takes a razor sharp edge. It cost about 200 dollars.

I ordered the Cold steel Gladius almost a year ago in August 2021 and unfortunately Cold steel was back ordered on a lot of their machetes which I was told by a friend at a local gun shop who I bought my original one from, came from South Africa. I ordered my newest one from a place called KnifeCenter, and it was less that what Cold steel charged but with shipping about the same, and after I placed my order they sent me an email and said that it was back-ordered from Cold steel and I could either get a refund or wait until cold steel had them again and that they would send me an email every two weeks updating me as to the status and would notify me when my order was shipped. Recently I was tired of waiting and almost canceled teh order but just this morning got an email that my order had shipped USPS and provided me with a tracking number.

Cold steel_1.JPG

Congrats man!  That is a really nice lookin  Short Sword!  What is it, a 16" Blade?  I've always wanted a Spartan Sword, but just never pulled the trigger.  I've got a Gil Hibbon Rambo III knife I've had for YEARS that I truly love.  It's one hell of a work horse and damn near could be a short sword!

image.png.b5fea303304174df28e08204f39c7252.png

These are the 2 Spartans I'd love to have...

Check out this website and tell em to send ya a catalog  Lots of really cool stuff...

https://www.budk.com/

Amazon.com: RealFireNSteel - King Leonidas' Spartan Sword : Sports &  Outdoors

Spartan Lakonia Sword, 5th Century BC | Outfit4Events

• Like 1

I've got a 3 1/2' "hand-and-a-half" sword (Cold Steel).  It's pretty solid,  at  couple $hundred.

When I'm too bored,  I'll wing it around in the back yard.  (more like nunchuck,  than a gladiator)

It'll give you a great arm workout,  and really loosen up your chest / shoulder / neck area.

But, like the nunchuck (which I used to be very good with,  and am still fully capable of hurting myself with), it'll bite you, occasionally.

I've never measured off 21',  or whacked a watermelon.

I learned of the nunchaku from some guy in college.  He was a Bruce Lee fan.  A BL encyclopedia.

He always had some at arms reach, even in his truck.  But he didn't spin/wing them. He only practiced "one hit" -- a fight-ending one shot into the middle of the nose.  He could flatten a basketball.  He would line up twenty blue-tip matches along the door jamb and light them all off, without budging a singe one, before you even saw what happened.

• Like 1

All of the very-rural Texas kids winged nunchuks.  It was a redneck thing.  I had taekwondo instruction for several years,  but we weren't allowed weapons until we were black-belt,  which I never reached,  because I'm a really bad fighter.

So I had to learn from books I bought, from the back of magazines.

One of my regrets is not buying a sword at the Texas Renaissance Faire.

The hippy guy hammered them out of pieces of railroad track.  They had little cannon-balls on the end,  for perfect balance.

They were all on the table,  perfectly balancing on a spike, at the hilt...

Waaay too heavy for my girly arms.

But whatever the $100?  $200? price was,  I decided I couldn't afford it.

Lose.

Dad had several Wilkinson swords, bought in England,  hanging over the fireplace (Dad was rich) (which got me beat-up a lot in the streets often,  because no one else was)

Moving back to the states, they "said" a crate fell off of the boat,  and a lot of stuff was lost.

Yeah,  Right.

I've got several Kukri knives.  Some ceremonial,  some,  I don't know,  for whacking zombies with.

The biggest ones are 24" and weigh, 5 / 7 pounds.

Too clumsy for winging around the backyard.

Whacking zombies.  Right down the middle of their heads.  Or fighting in the desert.

But, they all come with a Chamak and a Karda.

I keep them both in a crooked slot over my desk.  One is very dull (on purpose, I think, a religious thing) for cleaning my fingernails, and one is smaller and very sharp, for opening letters.

Orrence approves.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, ChuteTheMall said:

Is it sharpened all the way to the tip?

I've heard some recent horror tales that they didn't bother sharpening the last couple of inches at the point.

They used to be sharpened to the tip and they used to come really sharp from Cold Steel and you could make them even sharper. I had one about 5 years ago but I gave it to my nephew and now I want it back!

But now theyre made made so they can't easily be sharpened to the tip.  Now the tip is squared off for a inch back and the edge of the blade is not as sharp as it used to come from the factory because there used to be a one month delay when you ordered any machete from cold steel because they would hand sharpen them.  but because Cold steel was back ordered on these things I ordered mine from another company so they din't get the sharpening treatment so I've had to shrpen it myself but the tip will take a lot  more work. I tried taking a picture but it's hard to tell so I made an exaggerated drawing that gives you a better idea of how they made the tip so it can't be sharpened all the way to the end. It will take some file work but eventually I'll get the tip as sharp as the rest of the blade.

blade tip.JPG