Cleaning "crusty" BBQ grills

DAKA

Depends on how bad it is, and what material it is.

If you're talking one of those thin wire rack type, toss and get new.

If it's a ceramic type, then you can do the self cleaning oven cycle, or just put the grill up to max heat and leave it for a while.  You can also put a container of water in there to add some steam to loosen things up a little.

If it's a heavy cast iron type, then again, cleaning cycle or get just turn the grill on to high.  You can also take an angle grinder with a wire wheel on it, or a bench grinder with wire wheel, and run along the rack parallel to the grating and just go up and down.  Make sure to wear appropriate safety gear like eye protection and a dust mask.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

Depends on how bad it is, and what material it is.

If you're talking one of those thin wire rack type, toss and get new.

If it's a ceramic type, then you can do the self cleaning oven cycle, or just put the grill up to max heat and leave it for a while.  You can also put a container of water in there to add some steam to loosen things up a little.

If it's a heavy cast iron type, then again, cleaning cycle or get just turn the grill on to high.  You can also take an angle grinder with a wire wheel on it, or a bench grinder with wire wheel, and run along the rack parallel to the grating and just go up and down.  Make sure to wear appropriate safety gear like eye protection and a dust mask.

UGH, I'm lazy, they are cast iron   maybe just "Burn em off" ...its steak and chicken crust

• Like 2

Don't know why but this thread reminded me of a story. In 89 we moved back to Atlanta from Flarda, and my wife's aunt, who was a realtor, helped us find a house. We invited her over for steaks on the grill and she brought her new boyfriend, Wolf. He was a skinny, hairy, ex-con lookin' guy, couldn't have weighed more than 120 lbs soaking wet. We picked up a big family pack of steaks at the Winn-Dixie and I grilled 'em up and served 'em on a platter in the table. We each had a big steak and baked potato and there were three left. I saw Wolf eyeing that platter and "Still hungry, Wolf? Have another." That little worm sat there and ate three more steaks! I guess he had a hollow leg. 

Couple weeks later Aunt Cindy came over and mentioned that yes, Wolf was an ex-con, but he was real nice and handy around the house. In fact he was doing chores and repairs in exchange for her letting him sleep on a lounge chair in her basement. Then it gets good. Seems one evening Wolf walks out onto the porch for a smoke and there was a big possum on their grill. Wolf pulls out his EDC and stabs the possum. He then field dresses it and cooks it on the grill. Cindy declined possum for dinner so Wolf got all that, too. 

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Don't know why but this thread reminded me of a story. In 89 we moved back to Atlanta from Flarda, and my wife's aunt, who was a realtor, helped us find a house. We invited her over for steaks on the grill and she brought her new boyfriend, Wolf. He was a skinny, hairy, ex-con lookin' guy, couldn't have weighed more than 120 lbs soaking wet. We picked up a big family pack of steaks at the Winn-Dixie and I grilled 'em up and served 'em on a platter in the table. We each had a big steak and baked potato and there were three left. I saw Wolf eyeing that platter and "Still hungry, Wolf? Have another." That little worm sat there and ate three more steaks! I guess he had a hollow leg. 

Couple weeks later Aunt Cindy came over and mentioned that yes, Wolf was an ex-con, but he was real nice and handy around the house. In fact he was doing chores and repairs in exchange for her letting him sleep on a lounge chair in her basement. Then it gets good. Seems one evening Wolf walks out onto the porch for a smoke and there was a big possum on their grill. Wolf pulls out his EDC and stabs the possum. He then field dresses it and cooks it on the grill. Cindy declined possum for dinner so Wolf got all that, too. 

Coulda' been worse.....Roadkill

• Like 1

I ran over a squirrel on my way to a campsite once and killed him. Upon examination I found it was a clean head smush so I skinned and dressed him and roasted him on a spit. He was OK but he was a pine squirrel, and I prefer oak/hickory. Haven't had squirrel in a long time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

I ran over a squirrel on my way to a campsite once and killed him. Upon examination I found it was a clean head smush so I skinned and dressed him and roasted him on a spit. He was OK but he was a pine squirrel, and I prefer oak/hickory. Haven't had squirrel in a long time.

Don't go driving around truck stops. Hate to see what you do to lizards!