Anyone remember these?

gwalchmai

When my kids start telling me how good they have it and how old I am along with how tough life was "in the olden days", I tell them that I could drive my father's car by myself at 12 years old, I could go on a date with one Dollar, I could get  gasoline for 25 cents a gallon, I could get a Hamburger and a malt for 50 cents, I could go to drive-ins and see movies with my date without having to get out of the car, I could carry a rifle and ammunition around in my early grade school days, I could go to a movie for 12 cents, I could walk across town at midnight or later and have no worries, I could leave home in the morning after breakfast and not be seen again till Supper time.  I could work for money as a grade schooler, our front door was never locked, our cars were never locked.  I had independence.  I learned about how to find information for myself and was never taught what to think.  I could walk up to strangers on the street knowing that they would help me without payment of any kind!

I tell them they missed the most wonderful time in human history for a child to grow up and I feel so sorry for them not being able to experience this!  I had a wonderful life and learned independence, self determination, self reliance, how to get what I wanted out of life without harming others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2