CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY

DAKA

Imagine the outrage and apoplectic fury today if  someone suggested that we give ten-year-olds a rifle and ammunition, have them walk or bicycle through town and shoot rats or hunt rabbits  at a city dump.

Yet, for much of this country's history, that was so common as to not even be worth mentioning.

From my own experience, no lads were shot, no dogs or cats were shot, no adults were shot, the male youth of the country did not become savage murderers as adults.

And when called to war, we already knew how to shoot.

Many a refrigerator in the dump was, however, assailed and given its just do.

The occasional ricochet stung some, but that was just the price to be paid for dealing with malevolent, discarded appliances.

Discarded televisions were even better.

:biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We didn't have many rats growing up. 

Actually, we had lots of rats, but we kept them more or less in check with the application of high velocity refined elements, and some devices known to snap shut on unsuspecting vermin thus rendering them lifeless.

Today I read about farms being overrun by vermin and I can't understand it. We wouldn't have come back for dinner till we'd put a dent in the popluation. It was a matter of principle.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fog said:

We didn't have many rats growing up. 

Actually, we had lots of rats, but we kept them more or less in check with the application of high velocity refined elements, and some devices known to snap shut on unsuspecting vermin thus rendering them lifeless.

Today I read about farms being overrun by vermin and I can't understand it. We wouldn't have come back for dinner till we'd put a dent in the popluation. It was a matter of principle.

To the extent “survival of the fittest” is true, today’s rats should be more wary. 

10 hours ago, tous said:

YES! Once in a while we'd find an abandoned porcelain throne and reduce it to nanobits in a crossfire hurricane. Too bad we didn't have video recorders. Then again, maybe it's not too bad.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, janice6 said:

My group of grade schoolers with guns, found that if we waved them around and made a fuss while walking to the city limits, we soon would have a squad car stop and ask us what we were doing?  We would say that we are going to the city limits to target shoot.

The kind gentleman would then ask us if we wanted a ride and we would of course, accept.  He would drive us to the city limits and let us out with the admonition to "be safe".

We rarely had to walk all the way.  Sometimes at the intersection where the city limits sign was, we would ask if we could shoot in the trees "over there".  He always said, "I guess so".

So we would go over where all the trees were and start shooting.  It was a game to us.  On the other side of the trees was a sign saying, "State Game Preserve".  But the "guy" said it was ok to shoot here!

We often went to the local dump. Lots of things to shoot there. Appliances were very satisfying. Crows were a bonus as were rats. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2022 at 11:50 AM, Walt Longmire said:

Loved hosing old cars. Was very satisfying to be the first to plug that old fender, or shoot out the tail lights.

Doing that with a short barrel pistol and .22 shorts was eye opening about the steel in fenders. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 9:50 PM, tous said:

Imagine the outrage and apoplectic fury today if  someone suggested that we give ten-year-olds a rifle and ammunition, have them walk or bicycle through town and shoot rats or hunt rabbits  at a city dump.

Yet, for much of this country's history, that was so common as to not even be worth mentioning.

From my own experience, no lads were shot, no dogs or cats were shot, no adults were shot, the male youth of the country did not become savage murderers as adults.

And when called to war, we already knew how to shoot.

Many a refrigerator in the dump was, however, assailed and given its just do.

The occasional ricochet stung some, but that was just the price to be paid for dealing with malevolent, discarded appliances.

No one wants to admit it, but they themselves believe it to be rooted in changing demographics. Especially the Yankees.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 5:09 AM, railfancwb said:

Doing that with a short barrel pistol and .22 shorts was eye opening about the steel in fenders. 

But with a Winchester pump rifle it was amazing what a .22 can do to a car. Then we see in the movies people hiding behind a car door in a shoot out without being hit. Teah, right. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, tous said:

Are those the same movies where lead bullets make sparks as they ricochet off of wooden beams?

Or automobile tires screech when accelerating on a dirt or gravel road?

Those movies?

Those guys had 50 shot revolvers. Don't **** with them!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Alien Nation gave an accurate portrayal of what using a car for cover will get you.

SBR ammunition makes a 350gr .458 tracer.... Jus' sayin'. Blowing up cars with granddad's .45-70 ain't off the table.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, MO Fugga said:

And them western movie and television cowboys were so danged good, they could make 200 yard shots with a Peacemaker, uphill,  and always hit the rock the bad guys were hiding behind.

We knew that they hit the non-ferrous rock with lead bullets because -- sparks.

:cowboy2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MO Fugga said:

The climactic shootout in High Noon had several cameos of classic Peacemaker single action revolvers being reloaded in the heat of combat. Loading gate, ejector rod, and all. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

The climactic shootout in High Noon had several cameos of classic Peacemaker single action revolvers being reloaded in the heat of combat. Loading gate, ejector rod, and all. 

I'm still perfecting my 12g quad load technique. My middle finger is wore out. Should have joined the Trap team when I had the chance.

3 hours ago, tous said:

And them western movie and television cowboys were so danged good, they could make 200 yard shots with a Peacemaker, uphill,  and always hit the rock the bad guys were hiding behind.

Yeah they can make that shot with the .45 Colt and yet miss repeatedly from 20 yards at a guy standing in the open. Then there is the bad guys leaving town on their horses while every able bodied person is levering rounds through the Winchesters and they all get away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MO Fugga said:

SBR ammunition makes a 350gr .458 tracer.... Jus' sayin'. Blowing up cars with granddad's .45-70 ain't off the table.

Think some solid copper bullets of the correct shape and weight will help a .45-70 do a number on an engine block. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tous said:

We have an area popular with shooters that has a hillside behind it made of high grade iron ore. Lead bullets can cause a spark. It is not the bullet sparking but the spark is caused when the rock fractures. Causes fires every couple of years. 

• Thanks 1