CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY

DAKA

What exactly is CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY ?

I think this is NOT such a GREAT IDEA.

This means that anyone can buy a gun either privately or from a Gun Store and just carry it...no background checks NOTHING?

It's bad enough that too many A/H's are carrying illegal now  ....  so it will get worse?

• Like 2

Just now, DAKA said:

This means that anyone can buy a gun either privately or from a Gun Store and just carry it...no background checks NOTHING?

It's bad enough that too many A/H's are carrying illegal now  ....  so it will get worse?

Doubt it will make much if any difference. Those who are going to carry without background checks and any formal training are already doing so - often a street corner gun which was possibly stolen.

Some people I know, who now have carry permits, packed heat from time to time before their states made permits available. 

• Like 2

Oh, and to the phrase “Constitutional Carry”… the Second Amendment sets no restrictions on gun ownership or carriage. Limited restrictions on carrying have been imposed from time to time. In a saloon by the owner - legal. In the towns of Tombstone et al by local governments - probably violates Constitution. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Oh, and to the phrase “Constitutional Carry”… the Second Amendment sets no restrictions on gun ownership or carriage. Limited restrictions on carrying have been imposed from time to time. In a saloon by the owner - legal. In the towns of Tombstone et al by local governments - probably violates Constitution. 

The Constitution, primarily, doesn't tell us what we can do,  but what the government can't do.

Amen.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As a rookie that rolled up on a street brawl I dutifully reported over the radio that one of the suspects that ran was reported to have a gun.

My sergeant told me that putting that out on the air was the right thing to do, but I should know that this was the east side and everyone had a gun.

In the years that followed I have taken so many gun and knives off of felons, it was a matter of course, it was an exception if they didn't have one! The gun laws are a weak joke, nothing more, another false narrative made up to herd the sheep.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DAKA said:

People who are prohibited from owning guns are still so prohibited in Constitutional Carry states. 

• Like 5

I think that a BACKGROUND CHECK should be made for every gun sale... A "PERMIT ISSUED" ON DEMAND. IF CHECK IS "CLEAN"  (Like fishing licenses)

ALSO "YOU" (ME) should be able to check before a private sale... I will "ONLY SELL" a gun FTF if the person has a CWP and a FL D/L., best I can do as a private citizen

• Like 2

I ran into a black man the other day that proudly produced an Ohio Concealed Carry Permit. I politely explained he was in Kentucky, where we didn't need a permit to carry a gun. He looked at me perplexed that he had a permit for nothing. I appreciate that he was nice towards me.

• Like 5

I put myself in the place of the police.  When stopped for a traffic violation, or anything, I offer my D/L and my CC permit.  I have had officers thank me and go about their business.  It's not a requirement in my state, but I consider it a courtesy.

I had one say, "You keep yours where it is and I will too".  One just handed it back and didn't say a word.

My experience carrying a gun with the knowledge of a Minnesota police officer or Highway Patrol has been excellent and strictly professional.  I respect them. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DAKA said:

Hate to be the one to tell you this, but it happens every single day. Buy from an individual without any paperwork. Carry it legal or not. 

Freedom isn't safe. It is the ability to make one self safe. 

Gun crime supposed to have gone up 300% when OZ put in their bans. Looking at board members on a few places like this, it seems rifles are still allowed with restrictions, so not sure how it all goes.

If being a victim is the way people should live in your world, there are places to live the dream. Just another "I support the 2A, but_________" thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DAKA said:

I think that a BACKGROUND CHECK should be made for every gun sale... A "PERMIT ISSUED" ON DEMAND. IF CHECK IS "CLEAN"  (Like fishing licenses)

ALSO "YOU" (ME) should be able to check before a private sale... I will "ONLY SELL" a gun FTF if the person has a CWP and a FL D/L., best I can do as a private citizen

Hell no. It's none of their damn business.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

The Constitution, primarily, doesn't tell us what we can do,  but what the government can't do.

Amen.

Hear, hear.

It is interesting that many of you will vehemently debate gun ownership laws (firearms are inanimate objects; they cannot follow or violate a law) and have lost the ability to consider that the  government's role in firearm ownership was settled in 1789.

The debate is not how many and what sort of gun laws are valid, it is that there is only one gun law that is valid until the government legally changes that.

Any discussion of how far a government can go to restrict that right  and increase the role of government is a herd of sheep being conditioned to ignore the wolf.

The United States Constitution and subsequent amendments make no mention of carrying a firearm, thus the entire concept of CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY is meaningless.

Note well that those that congratulate themselves for being good citizens by following the illegitimate laws created by a government that has no legal power to do so are simply letting the wolf creep closer to the herd.

Even the Moomins cannot save those that willingly participate in their own destruction.

Edited by tous
It's Moomins, not Moonins
  • Like 5

Some states have constitutions with gun discussions. The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution invalidates any more restrictive state provisions. And since city/county governments are part of and subsidiary to state governments they cannot be more restrictive than the United States Constitution. For a reminder of how effective that Constitution actually is, consider the plights of those swept up in Pelosi’s January 6 2020 event. Most still in jail under cruel and inhumane conditions with no speedy trial offered.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, DAKA said:

Respectfully, the intent of that clause in CGA68 was for the seller to only sell to buyers whom he considers "looks OK to me". i.e., not that they've passed a background check, but that they look like responsible buyers and don't give off a bad vibe. As you know, background checks don't catch everything and they have false negatives. However, AFAIK, there's nothing stopping you as a seller to require a background check now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cougar_ml said:

If someone has done something illegal in the past and isn't "safe" to own a firearm, then they shouldn't be out of jail.  

HA   HA   Good luck with that...THAT IS MY REASON FOR A CHECK

• Like 4

It's my understanding that you still have to fill out the paperwork and have the background check to buy the gun. Because BATFE. The constitution of that particular State just has no law or permit requirement to restrict carrying, either concealed or open. Hence the the name "constitutional CARRY".

My aunt lived in Wyoming for a bit. It was just assumed everyone had a gun on them, whether it was visible or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2022 at 12:04 PM, DAKA said:

I always call the cops and run the serial number before I buy from a private person to make sure it isn't stolen. Other than that nothing else needs to be done.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2022 at 2:58 PM, minderasr said:

After reading some of these replies, I had to double-check to make sure I was on a gun forum.  AFAIK Constitutional Carry simply means you can carry a gun without permit if you're legally able to possess a firearm.

With all due respect, amigo, the Second Amendment makes no distinction between legal or illegal possession of a firearm.

That the text includes, ",,, right ... shall not be infringed." tells me that any attempt to declare people's status legal or illegal is antithetical, no?

And those that would demand a background check for all transactions, anyone that would ever trust a government are fools.

Keep in mind that when the National Instant Check System (NICS) was passed a a law, you know, that thing that the government had to do or face prosecution, any request for the background check and the information and identity of the person requesting it had to be purged as soon as a decision was reached.

Purged.

Meaning, eliminated, not stored or filed in some other form or place.

Like a big giant database available to just about any government agency that wanted access.

Then, a year later, we discover that the government is not deleting the records, that the government is storing the records in a big giant database that just about any government agency can access.

When reminded that it was illegal, the government said, We're not storing that stuff, but if we are, fear not.  It's just for system testing and efficiency.  Nothing illegal to see here.   Don't notice that we're still illegally keeping the records.  Nothing to see.  Move on.

Yeah, you can trust them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I always call the cops and run the serial number before I buy from a private person to make sure it isn't stolen. Other than that nothing else needs to be done.

Do you do the same when you purchase other goods from individuals, like power tools and recreation equipment? Not trying to be argumentative, but if I'm buying something from someone and suspect it may be hot I pass on the sale. This hasn't happened to me with guns, but I have had folks try to sell me jewelry and cameras that I had a bad spidey-sense about, so I passed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Do you do the same when you purchase other goods from individuals, like power tools and recreation equipment? Not trying to be argumentative, but if I'm buying something from someone and suspect it may be hot I pass on the sale. This hasn't happened to me with guns, but I have had folks try to sell me jewelry and cameras that I had a bad spidey-sense about, so I passed.

There is a huge difference between possessing a stolen power tool and a stolen firearm. I don't buy anything that I think might be stolen. and firearms are easy to check. I sure as heck don't want to list a stolen Winchester for sale that I ignorantly bought without checking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1