Flying into LAX in 7 days

kerbie18

I'm flying into LAX next week. I'll have about 2 days to spend in L.A. before I move on to the rest of my vacation. (a cruise ship) Any ideas for stuff to do for a day or two in Los Angeles? I will have a teenager with me, so keep that in mind.

I'm sure some of you will tell me I'm going to die or something. I have a nice hotel, and I plan on sticking to the nicer parts of town during the daylight. I'll be reasonably safe. Any suggestions on stuff to do would be great. 

8 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

I'm flying into LAX next week. I'll have about 2 days to spend in L.A. before I move on to the rest of my vacation. (a cruise ship) Any ideas for stuff to do for a day or two in Los Angeles? I will have a teenager with me, so keep that in mind.

I'm sure some of you will tell me I'm going to die or something. I have a nice hotel, and I plan on sticking to the nicer parts of town during the daylight. I'll be reasonably safe. Any suggestions on stuff to do would be great. 

There are a number of nice museums in the area.  

Take Arlo Guthrie's advice.

If you don't know what that advice was or who Arlo is, you're not an old curmudgeon.  :fred:

Could be a young whipper snapper.

I was a young whipper snappers when Arlo was famous for that advice (1968.)

Now, I can neither whip nor snap anymore.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

Two places you MUST go.

1. Pinks chili dogs on the corner of Melrose and La Brea in Hollywood. Open 24 hours, It's one of the better parts of Hollywood where there are upscale shops on Melrose. 709 N La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90038 get 2 or 3 per person with mustard, onions and chili, and if you like sauerkraut add sauerkraut. it is an XLNT combination!

2. Pecos Bill's bar-b-q Glendale near Griffith Park.  open Thurs-sun 11-3 the current menu lists pulled pork and shredded pork sandwiches. asked which one they have served the longest. that's the one I would recommend. I had been going there since `1959 when I was 11 years old. The family that runs the place has been there since the dust bowl days when Okies migrated to California.. Also, call and ask if they still serve ribs on the weekend.

1551 Victory Blvd, Glendale, CA 91201 (818) 241-2750

Alternatives: Tommy's chili burgers 2575 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90057 It's open 24 hours a day and it's near the rampart division police station, If you like chili burgers get a double with cheese.

Canter's Deli 419 North Fairfax Ave, West Hollywood. If you like Jewish deli's Canters is one of the best. Hippies is used to hang out there back in the 60's when the free press bookstore was across the street. Very safe neighborhood, a lot of Orthodox Jews living there. Plenty of parking on the side streets.

Lawry's Prime rib Rib 100 La Cienega Blvd, Beverly Hills, CA 90211 Pricey, but the best steak house in L.A.

• Like 2

I worked in Huntington Beach last year.  I actually took a third flight, to John Wayne,  so I wouldn't have to deal with downtown.  I kept to that area.

I had $ome magnifi¢ent meal$ at the ya¢ht restaurant$,  amongst the hoi polloi.

For every beautiful polo-club Swell on the streets, there would be a perfectly deranged homeless person.

I hate big cities

14 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I worked in Huntington Beach last year.  I actually took a third flight, to John Wayne,  so I wouldn't have to deal with downtown.  I kept to that area.

I had $ome magnifi¢ent meal$ at the ya¢ht restaurant$,  amongst the hoi polloi.

For every beautiful polo-club Swell on the streets, there would be a perfectly deranged homeless person.

I hate big cities

The John Wayne airport is in Burbank. that's near Pecos Bill's Okie Bar-b-Q in Glendale near Griffith park, And the there's the Western Heritage Museum and the Griffith park zoo.