Walmart poisoning the air

"Walmart Burning" sounds like a William Faulkner novel, but I did an Intrawebs search for it anyhow.

https://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2022/03/fire-engulfs-12-million-square-foot-walmart-warehouse-in-indiana-photos.html

The National Weather Service posted on Twitter a satellite loop showing the smoke was visible via satellite imagery:

"3-D" view of radar data of the smoke plume from the Plainfield fire today (March 16). The white line near the top of the plume represents a height of 10,000 feet. (Individual images were created via GRAnalyst) #inwx pic.twitter.com/xbsfqKqghH

— NWS Indianapolis (@NWSIndianapolis) March 16, 2022
  • Sad 1

Couple of thoughts. Usually on a place that large the water supply can only fight a few zones, if the fire gets bigger than that it just burns tills it's out of fuel. Flammable liquids can easily spread the fire outside the initial sprinkler zones and may even be spread by the water. Usually those products are stored in portions of the warehouse that have a foam type suppression system, fluid dams in the floors, fire doors and fire stop walls.

I have no idea why this one got out of hand, but it sure cost Walmart a lot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

u.jpg.1e53aaff43008f2df66b77e50244671a.jpg

The thought had crossed my mind.  When 'negotiations' fail, intimidation, violence and coercion always seem to happen.  Although, if anyplace needs a union, Walmart and Amazon are prime candidates.  Ironically, Toyota and Subaru are the models for how to run a non union shop. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, minervadoe said:

It might put their insurer out of business, but Walmart won't miss a beat. 

Suspect most of the risk was spread among a number of carriers probably including Lloyds of London. A company the size of Walmart, with properties world wide, is certainly self insured to an extent - maybe even enough to eat most of this loss. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Suspect most of the risk was spread among a number of carriers probably including Lloyds of London. A company the size of Walmart, with properties world wide, is certainly self insured to an extent - maybe even enough to eat most of this loss. 

I heard that most companies over about 10mil in revenue are self-insured. That varies widely, and many times even really big companies will buy insurance for specific projects or products, basically stuff where the potential liability is far bigger than they can absorb.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fog said:

I heard that most companies over about 10mil in revenue are self-insured. That varies widely, and many times even really big companies will buy insurance for specific projects or products, basically stuff where the potential liability is far bigger than they can absorb.

My medium sized city I work for is self insured. At some point it makes sense just to be self insured. Not sure how that works for Walmart.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, geeorge said:

I live 25 miles east of the fire and you could see the smoke easily..

I think the smoke was  from all the Chinese flip flops Croc Knock offs burning

Will this fire leave you needing any necessities? I'd be willing to take up a collection.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 6:44 PM, minervadoe said:

Ironically, Toyota and Subaru are the models for how to run a non union shop. 

Many gigantic Japanese companies offer a very competitive wage, plus a free single-occupancy dorm room,  free meals,  free hot showers,  free starched white cotton overalls every day,  free calisthenics three times each day, and sufficient toiletries.  And every third Saturday off,  to do whatever you want!!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

Many gigantic Japanese companies offer a very competitive wage, plus a free single-occupancy dorm room,  free meals,  free hot showers,  free starched white cotton overalls every day,  free calisthenics three times each day, and sufficient toiletries.  And every third Saturday off,  to do whatever you want!!

A waifu pillow for every shift, or **** off. Make her smell like cheeseburgers so Chico can lick 'em.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...