Changes to your daily driving

DAKA

I, pretty much, only drive from home, to the car place or airport.  When I'm home, I'm home.

I do all shopping during short days at work (which is usually).  (can't do much when flying, only small and light stuff)

I'm suddenly more worried about someone punching the gas tank of my car,  while it's parked behind the mini-mall at the rental place, for weeks at a time.

• Like 1

I wish I could, but the jobs are not any closer to home than they were. 

I've got machines that burn in the hundreds of gallons a day. That bulk tank in the yard went way up in value, technically, but that doesn't change the fact that it went from $450 a day in fuel to $958 for the big machines.

Used to be I could fill my personal truck for ~$80 and now it's closer $190

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

4 hours ago, DAKA said:

How have you changed your "daily" driving pattern....

(Are you making less trips with more "stops"?)

I've already been driving less since Covid and my insurance company even recognized that fact and gave me a discount. But now, ever since I put 10 gallons in my tank and it cost 40 bucks, I've been driving even less and I think they should give me another discount.

Anyone living on a fixed income like I am, who voted for Biden, words cannot describe what a complete and total dumb f-ing arsehole they are, especially since most of them are probably too stupid to even realize what dumb f-ing assholes they are. :angryfire:

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Borg warner said:

I've already been driving less since Covid and my insurance company even recognized that fact and gave me a discount. But now, ever since I put 10 gallons in my tank and it cost 40 bucks, I've been driving even less and I think they should give me another discount.

Anyone living on a fixed income like I am, who voted for Biden, words cannot describe what a complete and total dumb f-ing arsehole they are, especially since most of them are probably too stupid to even realize what dumb f-ing assholes they are. :angryfire:

THEY will never admit that they F****D up voting for the dumbass and the BJ Queen 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DAKA said:

How have you changed your "daily" driving pattern....

(Are you making less trips with more "stops"?)

No, I haven't changed a thing.  Of course I don't drive to work, but even during the previous gas crisis I maintained my normal movement.

Small changes, mainly because I'm cheap.  I was only driving the premium drinking V8 Camaro monster one or two days a week for short errands around town, that hasn't changed.  My wife commutes 3-4 miles round trip a day in a Honda and does the majority of our shopping, that also hasn't changed.  My son drives himself and his two younger siblings to school and back every day, which is the majority of miles driven in terms of commuting.  He's still doing that, but we're putting regular in his Mustang instead of premium.  

Can anyone point me to some Biden "I did that!" stickers?

• Thanks 1

Alright, I'm probably going to piss people off. I spend most of my life driving around in a take home police car. The city pays my gas bill, so I mostly don't give a rat's ass if gas prices go up or down. It's a perk of the job. Before you hate me, there are heavier downsides to being a cop that cancel out the free crap. 

But, I own a dodge caravan as my personal car. I have literally driven that thing to the entire lower 48 states. It is my second home, I can easily live in that little van and be happy. Sadly, gas prices are going to negatively affect the ability to do so. I can barely manage 24 mpg if I take it easy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm renting a place about 6 blocks from the hospital I'm working at these days. I'm about 60 miles away from my property. Used to be, I'd be out there every off day. Now, I go out once a week and get as much as I can done, on that one trip. 

I'm 5 miles from Walmart, liquor, restaurants, and car wash. I usually make a loop these days, and hit the errands I need to hit. No more random explorations through the mountains or desert.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Fog said:

I wish I could, but the jobs are not any closer to home than they were. 

I've got machines that burn in the hundreds of gallons a day. That bulk tank in the yard went way up in value, technically, but that doesn't change the fact that it went from $450 a day in fuel to $958 for the big machines.

Used to be I could fill my personal truck for ~$80 and now it's closer $190

Fuel for farming - plowing, harvesting, preparing fields, feeding and transporting livestock and/or food for livestock. More fuel to haul farm products to market. Lots of fertilizer used in today’s farming, and natural gas is a big part of fertilizer. 

For many of us cost of the fuel used in our personal driving will soon seem like small potato’s compared the increased costs of all purchases as their prices jump to reflect their fuel cost increases.

18-wheelers get maybe 6 mpg. So at $3.00 per gallon that’s $0.50/mile. At $12.00 per gallon, which some are predicting, that’s $2.00/mile. Painful. 

• Sad 1

A little, not much. "Town" is 20 miles away or more depending on which town we go to. We always consolidated trips when we could anyway. LostWife does the bulk of driving, but I'm on target for 6-7K this year thanks to getting a car that will get me into places the Camry wouldn't.

As noted, fuel prices at the pump are just the beginning. Everything will cost more for trucking, and in every aspect. Add record inflation to the mix and the retired dude is really stressing over things. I don't know that inflation is "record" but having it is something pretty new in recent times. Interest rates are moving, but still historically low,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interest rates won’t need to climb much before selling rural road frontage for McMansions - and construction of same - slows way down. If a person can squeak out payments on a $300,000 thirty year mortgage at 3% that same payment will only buy a $200,000 house at 6%.

People with that $300,000 at 3% house have a great hedge against inflation if - I said IF - their income increases at or better than the rate of inflation. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 12:17 AM, railfancwb said:

Fuel for farming - plowing, harvesting, preparing fields, feeding and transporting livestock and/or food for livestock. More fuel to haul farm products to market. Lots of fertilizer used in today’s farming, and natural gas is a big part of fertilizer.

8 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

As noted, fuel prices at the pump are just the beginning. Everything will cost more for trucking, and in every aspect. Add record inflation to the mix and the retired dude is really stressing over things. I don't know that inflation is "record" but having it is something pretty new in recent times. Interest rates are moving, but still historically low,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for now.

LGB.

• Confused 1