Corn and Soybean Farmer to Americans: Your Grocery Bill Is Going to Go Up

pipedreams

"If you think the high cost of gasoline is a problem now, wait until summer when your grocery bill soars.

Riensche went on to point out that costs to raise his crops have already gone up 40 percent because the cost of nitrogen is three times higher than last year. Phosphorus and potassium fertilizer prices have doubled, he added.

The farming expert also warned that these skyrocketing production costs cannot be changed in the near term. The costs are already set for now.

“The planting season in the northern hemisphere is just weeks away,” Riensche explained. “There is no miracle technology that can cut that in half or a third. It’s a pretty fixed formula. For me to grow an acre of corn on my farm, I need 200 pounds of nitrogen, 200 pounds of phosphorus, and 100 pounds of potash. We just — it’s going to be hard how this plays out. Will farmers switch to other crops that produce less? We’re certainly not going to literally pour on the groceries to grow this crop.”"

https://www.westernjournal.com/corn-soybean-farmer-americans-grocery-bill-going-go-1000-month/

"Brace yourself, America. Joe Biden’s policies are not being reversed, and that means the pain is just beginning."

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Yah.  In some thread here someplace,  I think I posted we'd see $4/gallon gas by March 1... I was off by 4 days... it's over $4/gallon for the 87 octane here now.  That's up more than $.70 in what?   Two weeks?  I'd start a pool on when WW3 will include our troops, but I'm afraid I'm still channeling my inner Cassandra and am just going to keep my mouth SHUT for a bit about that sort of thing.  Also, it's 60F and the garden is calling me - actually, with stuff like the OP posted, the garden is screaming EXPAND ME NOW... So, I'm off to cut up some more tires for raised beds, while the rest of my family is busy enjoying Spring Break in Florida and Tennessee.  (I'd call them names, but I kind of like the alone time...).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

You might as well grease your bunghole now. It's gonna be a hard ride.

Pantry's full, deep freezer has been full. Perhaps by winter things will improve, but not without a giant stack of political corpses in front of the Washington Monument.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Yah.  In some thread here someplace,  I think I posted we'd see $4/gallon gas by March 1... I was off by 4 days... it's over $4/gallon for the 87 octane here now.  That's up more than $.70 in what?   Two weeks?  I'd start a pool on when WW3 will include our troops, but I'm afraid I'm still channeling my inner Cassandra and am just going to keep my mouth SHUT for a bit about that sort of thing.  Also, it's 60F and the garden is calling me - actually, with stuff like the OP posted, the garden is screaming EXPAND ME NOW... So, I'm off to cut up some more tires for raised beds, while the rest of my family is busy enjoying Spring Break in Florida and Tennessee.  (I'd call them names, but I kind of like the alone time...).

How do you cut up tires? Landscape companies sell treated shred, but I hear it's expensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MO Fugga said:

How do you cut up tires? Landscape companies sell treated shred, but I hear it's expensive.

I'm just using the Sawzall to cut the sidewalls off.  Then I lay the tire flat on the ground (on top of a piece of cardboard or an old cotton sheet to keep the weeds down, fill the tire with rabbit poop, top it with a couple inches of garden dirt, and sow seeds/put in transplants).  As raised beds, they work well for warming the soil earlier in the season, draining better than my garden-in-the-ground area, and there's way less weeding involved.  Currently I have 52 tires that I used for raised beds the last few years.  I have 12 more I picked up on the side of the road this year that I'm in the process of cutting and filling, and I have another truckload I have to go get next week from a FB friend who is happy to be rid of them.   Yea!

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Valmet said:

Literally everything is going up in this “Build Back Better” version of America...$3.79/gal gas here in central VA. 

Gas just hit $3.70 a gallon today here in Minnesota.  This state full of democrats claim that it's just the war and biden hasn't anything to do with it.  Democrats have very selective memories and can't seem to recall "history".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MO Fugga said:

Pantry's full, deep freezer has been full. Perhaps by winter things will improve, but not without a giant stack of political corpses in front of the Washington Monument.

Freezer full of moose and halibut here. Salmon will be running soon. I'm planting a garden this spring.

• Like 3