Hobbies and other interests

jmohme

Since an early age, I have had an interest in steam power. Not so much steam locomotives, although I do like them too, but more agricultural and industrial steam. Both stationary and traction engines.

I was 12 or thirteen when my father gave me a Mamod Jr steam engine for Christmas. That was the beginning of what would be a very extensive collection of antique toy steam engines. 

Unfortunately they were all lost when my home was lost in the 2011 Texas wildfires.

In the year following I really had little interest in rebuilding that collection but then my wife found one that she gave me for Christmas, and so it began again.

This is a picture I took this morning of my current assortment of toy steam engines and accessories. Not nearly the quantity as the lost collection but some really nice pieces (and some partials).

Steam_Display_wide.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Being in Powerline work for 40 odd years I collected all sorts of old  electrical equipment and devices.  Insulators, (some very valuable actually), old meters, switches, wire connections, and on and on.   When we came back from overseas, my wife basically said, "Ok, we are not living in a Linecrew Show up anymore, sorry but that stuff has to go."  I REALLY wanted to keep my 115 KV station insulator I had my mailbox mounted on back in 78, but Alas....now that I lived in a "community"...we had a communal mailbox thingie...

I called up a bunch of my old Linecrew buddies and apprentices, and it was gone in the blink of an eye.  I kept about 2-3 of my most favorite insulators and the first one I ever found.  

THEN I went to "collecting" guns and knives and stuff!!!  :D  I think the wife sometimes wishes she was back in the "Linecrew Showup.":anim_lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Getting heavy into gardens and canning. No flowers, LostWife has terrible allergies. I understand and am happy beyond belief that I outgrew most of mine, and modern OTC's take care of the rest.

Always fished and am loading again when I can find the components. Had to give up my life long hobby, Riding motorcycles. I really enjoyed the LD challenge. Have a few Iron Butt certificates.

• Like 8

Quilting.  I've actually finished piecing this (the photo was the final layout before assembling the blocks). It is now waiting to be quilted.  It's all from scraps from my stash (I'm not buying any new fabric until the stash is under control, roflmao).   It's for my oldest daughter, so it fits her twin bed at school.  I finished 3 more quilts completely this past weekend, and got two more pin basted and ready to start quilting yesterday, but they are all smaller than this one.  I think I'm going to take this one to a longarmer and have them quilt it due to its size.  

IMG_2430.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2022 at 1:36 PM, jmohme said:

Since an early age, I have had an interest in steam power. Not so much steam locomotives, although I do like them too, but more agricultural and industrial steam. Both stationary and traction engines.

I was 12 or thirteen when my father gave me a Mamod Jr steam engine for Christmas. That was the beginning of what would be a very extensive collection of antique toy steam engines. 

Unfortunately they were all lost when my home was lost in the 2011 Texas wildfires.

In the year following I really had little interest in rebuilding that collection but then my wife found one that she gave me for Christmas, and so it began again.

This is a picture I took this morning of my current assortment of toy steam engines and accessories. Not nearly the quantity as the lost collection but some really nice pieces (and some partials).

Steam_Display_wide.jpg

I still have my Mamod steam engine my Dad gave me sometime in the 1960's.  Unfortunately it sat for many years with water in the boiler and it rusted through.  I had plenty of fun with it though.

006.jpg

007.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 8:25 PM, Mrs.Cicero said:

Quilting.  I've actually finished piecing this (the photo was the final layout before assembling the blocks). It is now waiting to be quilted.  It's all from scraps from my stash (I'm not buying any new fabric until the stash is under control, roflmao).   It's for my oldest daughter, so it fits her twin bed at school.  I finished 3 more quilts completely this past weekend, and got two more pin basted and ready to start quilting yesterday, but they are all smaller than this one.  I think I'm going to take this one to a longarmer and have them quilt it due to its size.  

IMG_2430.jpeg

Beautiful.  Mrs N has been a quilter for many years.  She and the ladies at Church make a quilt every year for our annual fund raiser.  Its the showcase item in the auction.  Sadly it has not come off in the last 2 years due to the Wu Flu.  It looks like it won't be getting started again for some time.  But she and the ladies made very nice quilts which often brought in excess of $500.  

Mrs N now does needlepoint.  She is working on a project right now.  It will end up in the same charity auction later this year.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2022 at 7:23 PM, norton said:

I still have my Mamod steam engine my Dad gave me sometime in the 1960's.  Unfortunately it sat for many years with water in the boiler and it rusted through.  I had plenty of fun with it though.

006.jpg

007.jpg

I believe that Mamod sells that model in a kit form, so if you felt like going to the trouble, you could probably contact them and get a replacement boiler.

Gold Patron

Thanks for the tip.  I see the boilers are listed on several sites.  Not sure its worth it for me to go to the trouble and cost.  Looks like the boiler is 49 pounds.  That's about $65 dollars plus shipping.