Sci Fi gun turned into reality

Silentpoet

It's interesting that if you were near the battlefield (NEAR) you could use a magnetometer/gradiometer to know when/where someone was shooting, and with proper electronics, you could know their location.

One of my Research products was a Gradiometer/Magnetometer that would measure the distortion in Earths field due to an "object" and locate metallic objects at a "great" range and tell you exactly where they were.

A very simple version of my project would do the same to locate the shooter.  Given that the Electromagnetic gun was "quiet" it still wouldn't protect the shooter from an adversary.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

It's interesting that if you were near the battlefield (NEAR) you could use a magnetometer/gradiometer to know when/where someone was shooting, and with proper electronics, you could know their location.

One of my Research products was a Gradiometer/Magnetometer that would measure the distortion in Earths field due to an "object" and locate metallic objects at a "great" range and tell you exactly where they were.

A very simple version of my project would do the same to locate the shooter.  Given that the Electromagnetic gun was "quiet" it still wouldn't protect the shooter from an adversary.

Wow!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, janice6 said:

Counter measures always emerge a bit after new weapons.  Taken to the extreme future of Dune that is why they all use bladed weapons because shielding technology is so advanced that projectiles or energy weapons are rendered near useless.  I would counter emp detectors by just having emp generators placed randomly to present false positives.

• Like 1