Evidence of how bad we have been socially engineered.

Batesmotel

I have a camera with an integral lens hood. In the retracted position you can’t make any adjustments to the f stops or shutter speed. I want to use it with a filter system that only fits if the hood is retracted. My solution was to cut the hood off. I will replace it with a screw-on hood when I need it. 

Before I cut it off I looked on line to see if other people had similar issues and how they solved it. I found other people asking the same question I had. The responses were interesting. 

Some were very positive. People talked above how they cut it off or dismantled the lens to remove it. But now they can use Lee or K&F filter systems. 

Most were very negative. 

You can’t do that. You are not allowed to do that. You have ruined your camera. You have destroyed the resale value. You need to replace it. You are not allowed to do that. 

For kicks and giggles I threw it out to some local photographers and artists. The artists were cool with it. Do whatever it takes to make art. The photographers were split. Four agreed with the artists. About a dozen were of the “You are not allowed to do that” camp. 

We have been so engineered to obeying rules, even ones that don’t exist that a photographer is afraid to modify his own gear to get the image he wants. 

This mentality is very disturbing. 

7E48395B-EB3A-4A01-AB8E-63ADA39A9FAB.jpeg

580C1A79-6CF2-4A7E-82BA-BD6BC5572BD0.jpeg

6AAC2FF2-7212-4660-B697-FDF8B93D6F98.jpeg

• Like 2

I am stunned that anyone would say “you are not allowed to do that.”  It’s YOUR equipment!! You can do whatever the hell you want with it!!  I am provoked ( NOT to be confused with “triggered” or “offended”!!!) by brainwashed rule followers telling me what I can and can’t do.   People who cannot think outside the box of rules… are not good in a shtf situation.  And, they are not helpful to have around when inventing stuff.  And I don’t like them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I am stunned that anyone would say “you are not allowed to do that.”  It’s YOUR equipment!! You can do whatever the hell you want with it!!  I am provoked ( NOT to be confused with “triggered” or “offended”!!!) by brainwashed rule followers telling me what I can and can’t do.   People who cannot think outside the box of rules… are not good in a shtf situation.  And, they are not helpful to have around when inventing stuff.  And I don’t like them.

I wonder if with the young photographers it a reaction to them being raised on digital cameras and dealing with software licensing and intellectual property issues. But it still blows my mind. 

• Like 1