Military Life

Eric

• Administrators

I was in the Army when they started that 80% brass accountability horseshit. In  other words, you had to recover at least 80% of the brass from the ammo you expended during training.

fc8e03f809eac09bd87113de8469cdb7ca97788385b17d9c2afaa182591fea0d_1.webp

• Haha 2

80%?

I joined under the Carter budget cuts. I was a grunt. We had to account for every damn piece of  brass. We were responsible for 100%. 

We did a lot of training saying Bang Bang because we knew we couldn’t retrieve all that brass. 

Reagan Stopped that **** cold. 

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

80%?

I joined under the Carter budget cuts. I was a grunt. We had to account for every damn piece of  brass. We were responsible for 100%. 

We did a lot of training saying Bang Bang because we knew we couldn’t retrieve all that brass. 

Reagan Stopped that **** cold. 

Maybe it was just a unit thing. I joined in 1986 and I was in about six months when we had to start policing up our brass, in the field. We always did at the ranges.

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg.d46237e12d1a9835bc5b0e69b643047f.jpgmy-dude-is-washing-the-ground-in-the-rain-and-23131456.jpg.f78b05a26e96dee05071cc54bc2d8984.jpg12274336_10153803376888606_6084647293438729130_n.jpg.425361ea3bdba76092bb07561af5ccc3.jpgmopping-up-rain.jpg.ecdfa1b0c3e74ce6ed3a2b5197cd113c.jpg

Our leaders decided one week that an upcoming retirement ceremony had to take place outside on our parade field, but it had rained for days and the field was covered with standing water. They brought in 3 UH-1s that hovered a few feet over the field for half an hour or so, to try to blow it dry. I **** you not. This really happened. When that didn't work, they grabbed two infantry companies, had them collect mops and buckets from every company in the battalion and they mopped up all the puddles on the field. After all that, the field was too muddy for the parade, so it was held indoors. People wonder why soldiers have such fucked up senses of humor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Was in a Marine Infantry company. On a few occasions we had to do a FOD walk on airstrips. No problem. Important job. 

But one time we were asked to do it at an unimproved runway at Dugway Utah. That’s right. Picking up gravel on a gravel runway. We just sat there in the sun waiting for someone to get a clue and rescind the order. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

for those that don't know FOD is "Foreign Object Damage" 

So a FOD walk is where you get a bunch of guys walking elbow to elbow across a landing field or strip looking for anything large enough to cause damage to an aircraft if it was to be kicked up pr thrown by the wheels or the air movement from the props/rotor blades.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

for those that don't know FOD is "Foreign Object Damage" 

So a FOD walk is where you get a bunch of guys walking elbow to elbow across a landing field or strip looking for anything large enough to cause damage to an aircraft if it was to be kicked up pr thrown by the wheels or the air movement from the props/rotor blades.

Thanks. I should have mentioned that. Unbelievable how much junk can get blown onto a runway. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric said:

It's funny, but leg infantryman and tankers train to do the same thing: Kill tanks. :greensupergrin: I think I like my chances of survival better in the weeds.

Me too. Armor is a bigger target. Besides when they gave me an M151 Jeep I found that was easier to hide than an M60 tank. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Me too. Armor is a bigger target. Besides when they gave me an M151 Jeep I found that was easier to hide than an M60 tank. 

One of the most dangerous weapons an armored cavalry unit has in its arsenal is a small, cheap wheeled vehicle with a TOW launcher and a radio to call his buddies.

• Like 2