What make of car is this beauty?

inthefrey

• Administrators

This Crosley was kind of their version of a British Mini Moke, or rather the Mini Moke was a version of this Crosley. The Crosley came out first, by more than a decade.  Anyway, it was called the Farm-O-Road. It was also available with an optional dumpable cargo bed, PTOs on the front & the rear and a dually rearend.

2560px-Crosley_Farm_O_Road_without_bonnet.jpg

Crosley_Farm-O-Road_with_rear_bed_extension.jpg

• Like 3

• Administrators

Crosley was the first company to offer an affordable, mass-produced overhead-cam engine, the first to offer four-wheel disk type brakes and the first vehicle to be marketed as a 'Sport-Utility' vehicle.

• Like 1

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Eric said:

This Crosley was kind of their version of a British Mini Moke, or rather the Mini Moke was a version of this Crosley. The Crosley came out first, by more than a decade.  Anyway, it was called the Farm-O-Road. It was also available with an option cargo bed and dually rearend.

2560px-Crosley_Farm_O_Road_without_bonnet.jpg

Crosley_Farm-O-Road_with_rear_bed_extension.jpg

Here is a pic of a 1967 Austin Mini Moke, for comparison. I would be very surprised to learn that their design team had never seen a Crosley Farm-O-Road before making this.

MOKE-1967.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Eric said:

Crosley. Probably is. Late forties/early fifties.

1951-crosley-wagon-photo-by-chequered-flag-international_100409883.jpg

Yes, Crosley. That's probably what it is but it except for the tail lights on the tailgate look the same size as an early 60's Ford Cortina which is why I thought  it might be an English Ford except that the steering wheel is on the right side. the tail light coue have bee added at another time but probably not, just a different year.

ford cortina.jpg

• Like 2

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

That's probably what it is but it except for the tail lights on the tailgate look the same size as an early 60's Ford Cortina which is why I thought  it might be an English Ford except that the steering wheel is on the right side. th etail light coue have bee added at another time.

ford cortina.jpg

I can see where you would think that, but the Crosley is even smaller than the Cortina. It falls somewhere between sub-compact and microcar. When I rode in one when I was twelve and skinny as a rail, me and my dad's hips touched in the middle and both our outer hips touched the door panels. It's REALLY small. 

The Ford Cortinas were interesting rides. They were very popular cars for use in sedan class races in Europe, and to a lesser extent, in SCCA sedan class races here. I always liked their styling. I almost bought one back in the late 1980s, but the deal fell through. It was a fun little car.

• Administrators

Other than the stupid LED light bar, I kind of like the look of this one. To put things in perspective, I think that drivetrain is from a Suzuki Samurai and they needed those fender flares for the wider track.

defpbm4-0aaf5dba-e198-4ce7-a8e2-3db86bab9659.jpg

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Eric said:

I can see where you would think that, but the Crosley is even smaller than the Cortina. It falls somewhere between sub-compact and microcar. When I rode in one when I was twelve and skinny as a rail, me and my dad's hips touched in the middle and both our outer hips touched the door panels. It's REALLY small. Anyway, the one in the OP is definitely a Crossley, probably a 1946-1948.

The Ford Cortinas were interesting rides. They were very popular cars for use in sedan class races in Europe, and to a lesser extent, in SCCA sedan class races here. I always liked their styling. I almost bought one back in the late 1980s, but the deal fell through. It was a fun little car.

I had a girlfriend who had a 65 Cortina GT back in 1967. it was a fun little car and nice looking, too. Red with black interior 4 on the floor and bucket seats. That same year they were available with a lotus engine

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, Borg warner said:

I had a girlfriend who had a 65 Cortina GT back in 1967. it was a fun little car and nice looking, too. Red with black interior 4 on the floor and bucket seats. That same year they were available with a lotus engine

They were fun to drive. The cars were very rigid, which gave them great handling. 

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

One variation of Crosley engine was furnace brazed from steel parts. The concept has fascinated me since I first read about it. Don’t know if any other engines were made this way. 
https://crosleyautoclub.com/EngineTree/Crosley_Eng_Tree-1.html

Yeah, that engine got a lot of play in WWII, in a variety of applications. I believe a version  was used as a generator motor on B-17s. It was used in mobile generator and refrigeration units and other applications as well. Crosley was an innovative company.

I'm leaning towards a 46-48 range Crosley with some added tail lights. The ones in the 50s I've seen have the small tail lights on the outer edges of the rear end. This '48 does not. And if you look closely you can see where the emblem used to be under the window.

17704235-1948-crosley-station-wagon-thumb.jpg

• Like 1