Well, That Was Different

LostinTexas

Spent the afternoon doing yard work. Not raking leaves, we don't have trees, but mowing and weed eating.

Picked up Christmas lights yesterday and the yard needed a cutting very bad. We normally have some late growing stuff that dies off in December, but this stuff was green, thick and full of moisture. St Augustine in the far side is still green as well.

LostWife said I need to edge the driveway. Maybe tomorrow. We'll see.

• Like 5

Wicked wind storm a few weeks ago blew down three or four dead pine trees in our front yard.

My wife got "disenchanted" because I wouldn't immediately go buy a chainsaw (our old killer-homelite 14" is probably mummified by now),  after a 60 hour week,  and I was doing paperwork, on the weekend.

She went and bought a Kolbalt 12" battery Monster.

She got all the branches cut off.

• Like 2

None were on the lots when we built. A couple of locust trees in the corner tat have finally met their demise. We planted a couple, and the tornado took them right out. Plucked like a weed.

OK a higher being didn't want them there.

Shade is fine. Just 100 and humid in the shade, so we don't sit out in summer. Trees are often more of a problem here than not. We have a covered porch on the east side of the house with a fan for when we feel like venturing outside.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Longer growing season, grain belts moving further north into Canada and Siberia, feed the world’s growing population. 

It is going to suck for a lot of people living in on many coastlines, but they still have years to move. Tough **** if they don't.

• Like 1

A company I worked for got bought by an out of state company. They were headquartered in the Deep South. They set out to save money. The first cut was the snow removal budget. 

On the rare occasions they saw snow they put a few pallets on a forklift weighed down by a couple bags of concrete and pushed the snow off the parking lot. They told us to do the same. 

Management had a fit seeing an $80,000 forklift spinning doughnuts trying to clear 18 inches of snow off of massive lot. I might have also mentioned OSHA violations. 

So they just said to schedule the plows as originally intended. But the plows already had contracts for the winter and we were no longer one of them. So we got plowed after everyone else who did have contracts and at 2X the original price. 

You would think the new management would listen to us dumb locals after that but that would be too much to hope for. 

The next mess was over swamp coolers. What would us desert dwelling hicks know about them?  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

That little homelite had cut many trees down,  twice as big as it was.  It would scream from sunup-to-sundown, and annihilate all manner of obstacles.

Magnificent ice-storms in Texas happen only every five years,  but they sure mess things up.

Fellow from my department went to Texas on company business years ago and getting out of his rental car at the hotel he slipped on the ice and broke his arm.  I have a great appreciation for Southern Ice storms.  I'm in Minnesota.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Spent the afternoon doing yard work. Not raking leaves, we don't have trees, but mowing and weed eating.

Picked up Christmas lights yesterday and the yard needed a cutting very bad. We normally have some late growing stuff that dies off in December, but this stuff was green, thick and full of moisture. St Augustine in the far side is still green as well.

LostWife said I need to edge the driveway. Maybe tomorrow. We'll see.

"Weed eating"?  Sounds to me you need to take a trip to your local dispensary.  :D

10 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Wicked wind storm a few weeks ago blew down three or four dead pine trees in our front yard.

My wife got "disenchanted" because I wouldn't immediately go buy a chainsaw (our old killer-homelite 14" is probably mummified by now),  after a 60 hour week,  and I was doing paperwork, on the weekend.

She went and bought a Kolbalt 12" battery Monster.

She got all the branches cut off.

Sounds like you handled the situation adeptly! :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Haha 1

Just odd. As cold as it was last year here, it isn't a surprise. We will usually have mild weather after a cold winter, this was just a bit of an oddity.

The weather has been changing for the billions of years this rock has been here. It has gone from mild to wild. A frozen rock and just a short few million years later, everything was either a steamy swamp or under water. The DC types think taxing you will change that. They think trading tit for tat will as well. It just won't.

We may be warming, but if we warm enough, we will be a frozen rock again, followed by a steam bath. It will be that way as long as the planet is here. Our being here, or not.

BTW, LostWife won out. The place is edged and purdy now, and a chocolate pie is cooling on the stove for good measure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1