Hell's Angels

Eric

• Administrators

The movie Hell's Angels was made in 1930, directed by Howard Hughes. It starred Jean Harlow, among many others. The book I posted above was a promotional book produced  by the studion the same year. I've scanned it and used OCR software to render the written parts as text. I'm not sure how well the PDF file is going to work for everyone embedded in the page as I did. Please let me know if it is viewable and usable for you. If not, please let me know what browser and device you are viewing the site on.

I posted in the new Donations thread about a new website project I'm working on. This little book is one of the items I've scanned so far. It's interesting stuff.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators

Hell's Angels was Jean Harlow's film debut, at the age of only 19. By all accounts, she was quite a lady. She was also an avid car enthusiast and owned some of the coolest cars of her day. Tragically, she died of kidney failure when she was only 26 years old.

The car below is a 1931 Cadillac Roadster that she owned. It was the first car I ever detailed for a major car show. I was 13 at the time. The car, including the paint, was all original. I spent three weeks rubbing out the paint by hand, before that show. It was a beautiful car.

IMG_0991.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

• Eric featured this topic
16 hours ago, Eric said:

The car below is a 1931 Cadillac Roadster that she owned. It was the first car I ever detailed for a major car show. I was 13 at the time. The car, including the paint, was all original. I spent three weeks rubbing out the paint by hand, before that show. It was a beautiful car.

THAT is Totally AWESOME Eric!!!  :worthy:

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Fnfalman said:

Howard Hughes was a weirdo but he went all about with his aviation movies.  I like Dawn Patrol more though.  

He built Spruce Goose, which I believe was the world’s largest airplane at the time. It flew once and has since been moved to a museum for preservation.

Didn’t Hughes also own an airline?

And… could it be that he is the Hughes in the name of satellite internet provider HughesNet?

32 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

He built Spruce Goose, which I believe was the world’s largest airplane at the time. It flew once and has since been moved to a museum for preservation.

Didn’t Hughes also own an airline?

And… could it be that he is the Hughes in the name of satellite internet provider HughesNet?

He owned TWA.  

• Like 2

On 12/14/2021 at 11:44 AM, Fnfalman said:

He owned TWA.  

Hughes Air West; nicknamed Hughes Air Worst.

I flew it from SFO to Arcata one time.  Seemed okay.

Hughes Airwest (IATA: RWICAO: -Call sign: Hughes-Air) was an airline in the western United States, backed by Howard Hughes' Summa Corporation. The airline's original name was Air West. Hughes Airwest flew routes in the western U.S. and to several destinations in Mexico and Canada; its headquarters were on the grounds of San Francisco International Airport (SFO) in unincorporated San Mateo County, California.[2]

With distinctive all-yellow aircraft, the company slogan was Top Banana in the West;[3][4][5] it was purchased by Republic Airlines on October 1, 1980.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughes_Airwest

On 12/11/2021 at 10:52 PM, Eric said:

Here is the movie:

The dog fighting scenes were outstanding when you consider that a lot of it was filmed by the aircraft involved in the actual fur ball maneuvers. 

Shots from the dedicated camera plane showed roughly forty aircraft swarming at one point.  :Alex:

• Like 1