Measuring carbon footprint

railfancwb

We continue to be told we must do this instead of that to reduce our carbon footprint. Electric vehicles such as Tesla are good, gasoline or diesel powered ones are bad. Electricity from wind or solar is good, from burning fossil fuels bad. Ancient incandescent lightbulbs condemned, twisty fluorescent and LED bulbs praised.

So far my success in learning total carbon footprints - raw materials to landfill/recycle - for competing technologies has been almost non-existent. If such information is not readily available how can concerned citizens make educated choices? 

• Like 2

I like a big comfortable footprint and I refuse to bow to the false god of environment. I worship the Creator, not His creation.

I use earth day as a reminder to test every machine I own, well over a hundred, every one gets fired up and run. I really like the big old diesels that spew a nice cloud! But I don't neglect even the humble weed wacker with the two stroke smoke!

I leave on all the lights all night long for earth day, even run the light towers overnight, just for fun! It's a good test anyway, make sure they are ready in case of emergency. Since I been doing this I've been joined by some of my neighbors, we make it an event. 

So, if anyone finds an authoritative list somewhere I'd like a copy, I could use some suggestions for how to improve my performance.:anim_lol:

• Like 4

11 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Supposedly “the next big thing” will be using hydrogen to power locomotives. Using hydrogen will reduce carbon footprint how?

Cause there ain't no carbon in hydrogen. You burn it and you get water vapor. All you need to make hydrogen is water and electricity, both of which you get by burning hydrogen. It's like perpetual motion, kinda. 

image.jpeg.2d7dc4b5c0b6e790c1d11b4635221d95.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Supposedly “the next big thing” will be using hydrogen to power locomotives. Using hydrogen will reduce carbon footprint how?

Hydrogen is sourced from, Petroleum, Coal, natural gas, Biomass.  Get rid of fossil fuels and you remove the greatest sources of Hydrogen.

If you pretend to get all Hydrogen from sea water, the electricity to produce it still comes from a power plant.  Chicken and egg.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

How long before someone (Musk could do it) drills deep enough into the earth, or taps into a volcano, to get magma, and uses it to make steam?

There are geysers in California and Iceland, and probably other places, which have been tapped for energy. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

How long before someone (Musk could do it) drills deep enough into the earth, or taps into a volcano, to get magma, and uses it to make steam?

The town of Klamath Falls, Oregon heats the city sidewalks with geothermal energy. 

Here's a list of geothermal power plants.

http://globalenergyobservatory.org/list.php?db=PowerPlants&type=Geothermal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

I wonder if the marvelous large windmills and wonderful solar farms actually contribute enough energy to offset that used to produce and install them. 

No. There was a paper recently published that says they need to run for 55 years on average to break even but they are wearing out at 24-30. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/15/2021 at 10:21 PM, railfancwb said:

We continue to be told we must do this instead of that to reduce our carbon footprint. Electric vehicles such as Tesla are good, gasoline or diesel powered ones are bad. Electricity from wind or solar is good, from burning fossil fuels bad. Ancient incandescent lightbulbs condemned, twisty fluorescent and LED bulbs praised.

So far my success in learning total carbon footprints - raw materials to landfill/recycle - for competing technologies has been almost non-existent. If such information is not readily available how can concerned citizens make educated choices? 

Concerned citizens cannot make educated choices... and most of them are too stupid to realize that their current choices are not informed by reality.   They just follow along like sheep whatever the legacy media is currently spouting.  I spent my childhood hearing about the Ice Age we were heading for that never arrived, so until there is good info available (not temps taken over asphalt parking lots) I'm not taking the ScreamingMeemies seriously about the Greenhouse Effect here, either.  The evidence available is entirely... inconclusive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2