The rabbit sex change fairy...

Mrs.Cicero

showed up in my rabbitry.  Sigh.  I was short two cages, so I had a pair of growout rabbits  together in each one.  They were only supposed to be there until they were 12 weeks old and large enough to process and NOT mature enough to be breeding, but things have been a little hectic, so I'm behind on the processing - I was going to do it TODAY, but instead I was lifting an AC unit and filling in the sinking ground beneath it.  Anyway, when I dividing up the growouts, I carefully put the does in one cage and the bucks in another.  I thought.  Two days ago, one of the bucks started growling LOUDLY at the other, so, since I'd emptied my indoor cages (I had a couple rabbits indoors while their poor noses recovered from being chomped by the damn mosquitoes), I moved the growly one to a basement cage.  Annnnnnd, now there are 6 rabbits  in that cage.  SHE had 4 blue and 1 black Silver Fox kit today... right when I was SUPPOSED to be sending rabbits to Freezer Camp, but didn't get to it (again)...obviously fathered by the buck that I correctly identified as a buck.  I'm probably in trouble  with alphabet-people for assuming the NOW-A-DOE'S gender earlier.  Sigh.  Chickens are SO MUCH EASIER.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

is this your bunny??

Hunky-Jesus-2014-Bunny-Ears.jpg.accc35970a6af24ed234c06fc012ac2d.jpg

"From old celtic mythology; A fairy spirit in animal form, always very large. The Pooka appears here and there, now and then, to this one and that one. A benign but mischievous creature. Very fond of rum pots, crack pots, and how are you Mr. Wilson?"

• Haha 3

Lol.  Sorry!  It’s a silly joke among people who raise rabbits because it is not so easy to tell what sex a rabbit is when they are young, so when we’re wrong, we all blame the rabbit sex change fairy for messing things up… this is the first time the fairy has visited my rabbits… but I doubt it will be the last, especially if I try sexing rabbits without my reading glasses again…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Chickens are SO MUCH EASIER.

Several times, we brought home rabbits from the fair / farm shows.  Always the same sex. Right! Right?  That's probably why Dad hated rabbits. (and that time that Harvey almost eviscerated him)

I saw a tv show about chicken farms and they "squirted" them before they looked,  and then threw them in the proper pen.  What's up with that???  I remember Mom taking guesses at all her peeps,  but I never ever saw her squirt one.

• Like 1