Welder for a small job

DAKA

I need to weld some small "stuff", cutting a section out of the legs off stools to make them chair height,,1/2" x 1/2" steel....

Is there an inexpensive machine that will do this or should I keep looking for a shop that will do this small job...

2 shops that I asked didn't want to do it, and the third wanted $100.....(how hard would it be to "stick" these together...)

you might see if there is a high school near you with a welding program, or a college.

For doing basic work with small pieces, the wirefeed machines from Harbor Freight are capable of doing some decent work.  Not the best mind you, but if you get them dialed in correctly, they will do the job.

I hate to plug Hazard Fraught tools, but the little Titanium welder I got has been doing a really good job. I bought it as a throw away, and it just keeps impressing me. Dual voltage, does good on 120 for light stuff, actually impressive on 220 as you get into heavier stuff.

https://www.harborfreight.com/welding/welders/mig-170-professional-welder-with-120240-volt-input-64805.html

4 hours ago, DAKA said:

I need to weld some small "stuff", cutting a section out of the legs off stools to make them chair height,,1/2" x 1/2" steel....

Is there an inexpensive machine that will do this or should I keep looking for a shop that will do this small job...

2 shops that I asked didn't want to do it, and the third wanted $100.....(how hard would it be to "stick" these together...)

Honestly, just pay the $100 and be done with it. You're not going to get proper welding equipment, clothing, knowledge and experience for less. Just let a pro handle it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M&P15T said:

Honestly, just pay the $100 and be done with it. You're not going to get proper welding equipment, clothing, knowledge and experience for less. Just let a pro handle it.

Geezze you sound just like MrsDaka....I thought I "needed" a welder    SPOIL SPORT

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/7/2021 at 4:41 PM, Silentpoet said:

If I was closer.  But Just get a cheap stick rig and prep the metal properly.  Probably the biggest stick you could run with the cheap 110 units is a 3/32.  Should be enough amps for a stool leg. 

When you're welding with 5/32 all day on a dock, the stinger gets so hot after while you lower it into the water for a bit to let it cool off.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

When you're welding with 5/32 all day on a dock, the stinger gets so hot after while you lower it into the water for a bit to let it cool off.

I just got a deal on a mig max 215 from harbor freight.  It was over 300 dollars off.  So I took it to school because I don't yet have my own tanks. The booth I set it up in only had a 110 outlet, the big miller there is wired directly.  I decided to see how good the duty cycle was by padding beads.  I used up the 1 pound spool and never hit the duty cycle.  But I did have to tap out after the 1/4 inch plate was glowing redish orange.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I've done machine repairs running 1/4" 7018 and the leads get so hot the insulation starts dripping off. Not little leads either, they were about the size of a garden hose, heavy as sin. I kept dunking the stinger in a bucket of water so I could burn another rod. Being over water sure would have been convenient, but this was in a rock pit on a dry god forsaken mountain top.

I thought that was hot till I got a bigger wire feed machine, water cooled mig gun, running dual shield wire 1/16" wire at about 400 amps. The radiant heat was burning me through my leathers like I was naked. I got some of the reflective stuff and that helped a lot. Also had to turn my lens way darker because that wire was bright. I welds so fast I hate picking up rods anymore, but there are times they work better.