The unbreakable will of a Cumberland County town

pipedreams

Kudos to the Cedar Cliff community...

In an era when it is all too common for communities to bend over backward for the angriest person in the room, this community refused to buckle. The school district didn’t give in to threats, and the booster club reacted calmly to the demand to have the guns removed from the raffle.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/the-unbreakable-will-of-a-cumberland-county-town

"Gun ownership around here is pretty normal. But this didn’t sit well with one parent at the high school. She complained to the school board, which informed her that the booster club was under no obligation to receive district approval for its fundraisers.

She then took it to the local paper , saying, “I cannot support something that is potentially putting guns in more homes of the teenagers I see, knowing the stats.”

Then something remarkable happened: nothing.

The school, citing its lack of jurisdiction over the matter, didn’t try to stop the event. The community didn’t storm the school with protests outside its doors. It was hard to find any evidence of outrage, even on social media.

Around here, the whining winds of outrage were still because people in this community calmly said, "Not in our town.""

• Like 5

A few years ago, a lady squealed to the School Board about prayer and singing the National Anthem at football games. She had never attended a game, was not in earshot, and was a recent import form somewhere or another.

After several attempts and lots of lawyers, the school finally said enough and buckled. That lasted to the first game. Mandated or not, the students prayed, the Anthem played and the game commenced. Not a single student or coach was chastised. As it should be.

Said Busy Body left town shortly after, much lighter in the pockets, and things went back to normal in the Bible Belt.

Good Riddance

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

A few years ago, a lady squealed to the School Board about prayer and singing the National Anthem at football games. She had never attended a game, was not in earshot, and was a recent import form somewhere or another.

After several attempts and lots of lawyers, the school finally said enough and buckled. That lasted to the first game. Mandated or not, the students prayed, the Anthem played and the game commenced. Not a single student or coach was chastised. As it should be.

Said Busy Body left town shortly after, much lighter in the pockets, and things went back to normal in the Bible Belt.

Good Riddance

Just goes to show...People need to stand UP to pieces of **** like that.  AND, fire EVERY member of the "school board that caved also.  :patriot:

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Just goes to show...People need to stand UP to pieces of **** like that.  AND, fire EVERY member of the "school board that caved also.  :patriot:

The board didn't cave, and I hate taking up for the bunch that was there at the time. They just got tired of spending district money on courts and said enough. I don't know who was backing Busy Body, but from my understanding the bills were quite large.

The judge who made the ruling lost his seat the next election as well. Not sure if he's still around.

• Like 4