On 7/10/2022 at 10:15 AM, Schmidt Meister said:

Bacon-Wrapped Tater Tots - Skewers

Prep: 15 mins.
Cook: 50 mins.
Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients:

12 strips bacon cut in half
24 tater tots slightly thawed
1/2 teaspoon chili powder cayenne pepper, or Cajun spice (optional)
2 jalapeno peppers cored and slivered (optional)

Instructions:

Spread tater tots out on a plate and allow to thaw about 15 minutes at room temperature. Cut the bacon strips in half.
Loosely roll a strip of bacon around a tot with a sliver of jalapeño if desired. Be careful not to wrap the tot to tight as the bacon will tighten up around it as it cooks.
Slide the wrapped tots onto a skewer leaving about an inch between them to allow the bacon to crisp on all sides.
Place the skewers on a wire rack on top of a baking pan with an edge to catch the drippings.
Sprinkle with chili powder, cayenne pepper, or Cajun spice if desired. I prefer to eat mine with a mustard aioli.
Place pan in a 400 degree oven for 30 – 40 minutes, or until bacon is crisped.
Remove the tots from the skewers and serve.

Bacon-Wrapped Tater Tots - Skewers - 1.jpg

Bacon and Potatoes, is that KETO?  :anim_rofl2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

It's modified keto. The potatoes would have to go. To go full keto, you wrap the bacon around a piece of steak and a fish filet.

Just had Sweet Kiss Mellon  (out now) wrapped with  Prosciutto ...With my white wine Spritzer  :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, DAKA said:

I;m not much of a drinker, one spritzer or 1 beer...I'm usually the designated driver...

I drink very little these days also. When we go out, which happens seldom these days due to the insane cost of everything, I love to have a margarita but that'll be it. I too, am the driver and my wife might have a couple of drinks. At home we have a margarita or she'll have a couple of glasses of wine while I drink a margarita maybe twice a month.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

I drink very little these days also. When we go out, which happens seldom these days due to the insane cost of everything, I love to have a margarita but that'll be it. I too, am the driver and my wife might have a couple of drinks. At home we have a margarita or she'll have a couple of glasses of wine while I drink a margarita maybe twice a month.

We go to Happy Hour places about once a week..wine for her 1 beer for me coupe of $5 to 7 "bar snacks" usually about $30 not too bad.....

This all started when we lived in Fort LIQUORDALE .....  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DAKA said:

We go to Happy Hour places about once a week..wine for her 1 beer for me coupe of $5 to 7 "bar snacks" usually about $30 not too bad.....

This all started when we lived in Fort LIQUORDALE .....  

You must have the advantage of living in an area that has decent places to go for Happy Hour. We live 30 minutes away from any nice places. We could go around here but, and don't get me wrong, I'm from the country, they play loud country music or they are full blown rednecks. Can't do country music and I'm too old to fight drunk rednecks, I'd just have to pop a cap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schmidt Meister said:

You must have the advantage of living in an area that has decent places to go for Happy Hour. We live 30 minutes away from any nice places. We could go around here but, and don't get me wrong, I'm from the country, they play loud country music or they are full blown rednecks. Can't do country music and I'm too old to fight drunk rednecks, I'd just have to pop a cap.

:599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:     :shooting-two-guns:   :nono:    :agree2:

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

As with almost all recipes, the cheeses can be exchanged for your favorites.

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers With Pulled Pork/Cream Cheese Filling

Ingredients:
1 (8-oz). pkg. cream cheese, softened     1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
10 oz. pulled pork, (cooked, of course) chopped finer than the usual chop and coated with or without your favorite barbecue sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder     1/2 teaspoon kosher salt     12 jalapeños, see note*, seeds removed
12 slices bacon     Fresh dill for garnish, optional     16 toothpicks

I have no idea why the ingredients 'piled' up like that?

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; place rack in baking sheet, set aside. With a hand mixer (or your hands), beat together cream cheese, cheddar, garlic powder, kosher salt, and pulled pork. Fill each of the jalapeño peppers with the pulled pork/cheese mixture. Wrap each jalapeño in a piece of bacon and insert a toothpick to hold the bacon in place; transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining stuffed jalapeños. Bake until bacon is cooked through and the cheese begins to brown in spots, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before removing toothpicks. Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with fresh dill if desired.

*See picture #1. To prepare jalapeños, glove up and use a knife to split the top of the pepper just below the cap/stem. Split the pepper, not quite halfway through, horizontal to the length of the pepper. Then split the pepper from that cut, vertically down the pepper, almost to the bottom. It will look like a ’T’ starting at the top of the pepper and running almost to the bottom. Using your fingers, open the pepper and using a butterknife or butter spreader, scrape out the seeds and membrane according to the amount of heat you prefer.

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers With Pulled Pork:Cream Cheese Filling - 1.png

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers With Pulled Pork:Cream Cheese Filling - 2.png

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers With Pulled Pork:Cream Cheese Filling - 3.png

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers With Pulled Pork:Cream Cheese Filling - 4.png

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeño Poppers With Pulled Pork:Cream Cheese Filling - 5.png

• Like 5

On 10/4/2021 at 5:33 PM, Schmidt Meister said:

The fritters in the picture are fried a little much for me. I usually pull mine out a little sooner.

Okra And Green Tomato Fritters

Prep: 10 mins.

Cook: 20 mins.

Yield: 12 fritters

Ingredients:

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup self-rising cornmeal

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 pound okra, coarsely chopped

1 large green tomato, diced

1/2 onion, finely diced

1 large egg

1/2 cup buttermilk

1/3 cup vegetable oil

Instructions:

In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add the chopped okra, green tomato, and onion. In a small bowl lightly beat the egg into the buttermilk, and then add it to the okra mixture. Stir until just combined.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Drop the okra batter into the oil in heaping tablespoons. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, then flip the fritters and press them flat with the back of a spatula. Cook 4 to 5 more minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Cook in batches, adding more oil if necessary; then drain on paper towels, and serve hot.

Serve with Comeback Sauce

Comeback Sauce

Total: 5 mins

Ingredients:

1/2 cup mayonnaise

2 tablespoons ketchup or chili sauce if you like it spicier

2 tablespoon hot sauce (like Texas Pete) adjust to taste

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

juice of 1/2 lemon

Instructions:

Mix all ingredients together until smooth.

Cover and store refrigerated until ready to serve.

Notes:

Makes about ¾ cup.

Use with: chicken fingers, french fries, salad, seafood, etc.

Okra And Green Tomato Fritters.jpg

I'd eat those, we used to just throw them in a skillet with the breading 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, geeorge said:

download (2).jpg

I used to eat that from time to time but I can't handle it as much now ... maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I worked at a poultry processing plant and they made a lot of that stuff in 70 gallon totes and sold it to other manufacturers, but most of theirs was made into hot dogs.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Schmidt Meister said:

I used to eat that from time to time but I can't handle it as much now ... maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I worked at a poultry processing plant and they made a lot of that stuff in 70 gallon totes and sold it to other manufacturers, but most of theirs was made into hot dogs.

But it has all the food groups in it somewhere

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Everything but the SQUEAL is in that...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Crispy Skillet Potatoes With Steak And Eggs

Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients:

2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound New York strip steak
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 onion, chopped
1 small bell pepper, color optional, chopped
1 tsp. steak seasoning
1 can diced tomatoes, juice drained*
4 eggs

Instructions:

Add the potatoes to a large pot and fill with enough cold water to cover by 1 inch. Season with 1½ teaspoons of salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 5 minutes, then drain and run under cold water to stop the potatoes from cooking further.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season steak on both sides with salt and pepper. Add to skillet and cook 4-6 minutes per side for medium rare; 7-9 minutes per side for medium. Remove steak from the skillet and allow it to rest.
Add the onion and bell pepper to the pan and cook over medium heat until they start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes and season with steak seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook until the potatoes are crispy around the edges. Cut the steak into 1-inch cubes and stir into the potatoes.
Add in tomatoes and allow to heat thoroughly, 1 to 2 minutes.
*You can add some of the tomato juices if you want it juicier.
Using a spoon, make four holes in the hash pushing the potato mixture aside until you can see the bottom of the pan. Crack an egg into each hole and season with salt and pepper. Place a cover on the skillet and cook about 5 minutes. Serve warm.

Hint: Always let steak come to room temperature (70 degree F.) before cooking or grilling. A cold steak will contract when it hits the heat and cause it to toughen. Remove the steak from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking it. Pat the steak dry with a paper towel. The steak should be completely dry before cooking. If the steak is wet, you will essentially be steaming it.

Crispy Skillet Potatoes With Steak And Eggs.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love different foods from time to time but at my core, I'm a meat and potatoes ... and cheese, guy.

Potato Sausage Casserole - Crock Pot

Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 6 hours
Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients:

1 pound bulk sausage
1 10-3/4 ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 small onion chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese

Instructions:

In a medium skillet, brown the sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
In a large bowl, combine the soup, milk, sour cream, onion, salt and pepper.
In a lightly greased 5 qt. slow cooker, layer half the potatoes, soup mixture and sausage; repeat layers.
Cook on low setting for 6-8 hours or until done.
Uncover and sprinkle with cheese.
Cover and cook 5-10 more minutes or until cheese has melted.

Potato Sausage Casserole - Crock Pot.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Valmet said:

Think I’m going to attempt the above recipe once we get some colder weather here with cream of chicken soup as opposed to mushroom (not a mushroom fan). 

I think it would be just as good. A suggestion, if I may. If it is the texture of mushrooms that you don't like, but the flavor is not a deal breaker, you could put the mushroom soup in a blender and puree it. That's what my wife does because she CANNOT tolerate the feel of a mushroom in her mouth. On the other hand, if it's the taste that stops you, you are indeed much better off with the cream of chicken or cream of potato.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 6:52 PM, Schmidt Meister said:

I've said before, I love soup. I love V8. We use V8 in place of some of the broth in this soup and it just warms you completely in my opinion and the V8 elevates it to another level.

V8 Beef And Vegetable Soup

Ingredients:

2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, grated
1 46-ounce container V8 juice
1 46-ounce beef broth
2 or 3 large potatoes, cubed
2 carrots, cubed or coined
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 can corn*
1 can green beans*
2 pounds ground beef
1 onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

*or equivalent fresh or frozen

Instructions:

Sauté onions with butter, olive oil and salt and pepper in a saucepan over medium-high heat until partially translucent and then add garlic. Add ground beef and brown and set aside once cooked.
In slow cooker combine beef mixture, V8, broth, and vegetables. Add broth to completely cover ingredients.
Set slow cooker to low and cook for 6 hours or set to high for 3 hours.
Add salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.

V8 Beef And Vegetable Soup.png

When I went to college, we had a restaurant that served this. It was called "Hodge Podge soup". I survived for 2 years on this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

French Onion Dip Sliders

Prep: 20 mins.
Cook: 5 hours
Yield: 10 servings

Ingredients:

3 lb chuck roast
4 tbsp your favorite beef seasoning

French Dip

1½ whole medium yellow onions
4 cloves of garlic minced
2 1/2 cups water
2 1/2 cups beef broth
2 sprigs thyme
1 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder
2 tbsp onion dip packet

Sliders:
1 pack sweet rolls, or slider rolls
12 slices of provolone cheese
3 tbsp unsalted butter
2 cloves of garlic minced    

Instructions:

Start off by prepping your chuck roast into 4-6 smaller cuts, this will help with braising.
Season with your favorite beef seasoning and let sit at room temp for 30 mins.
Place half of your chuck roast chunks (you don’t want to overcrowd the pot) in your Dutch oven and sear the meat on both sides for a nice crust. Sear your next batch and place on a wire rack to the side.
While the meat is sitting on the side add your onions to the dutch oven and add a pinch of salt. Now sweat them down for about 4-6 mins, until almost translucent and then add your garlic and let it go for an additional minute or so.
At this time add the chuck roast (all the chunks) and add the thyme, vegetable bouillon, water, beef broth, and onion packet. Now mix and place the lid on top. Make sure your temp is a low medium for this step.
Let it braise for 2-3 hours and then flip the meat. Continue to braise all the way until the chuck roast is probe tender, you want it to be shreddable. (I actually like to chop mine some after I shred it)
When the beef is shreddable, place it in a foil pan and rest for 30 mins. During this time, melt some butter in a saucepan and add some garlic, mix.
Cut your sweet rolls in half and then make a bottom layer of provolone cheese, then the shredded beef and topped with another layer of provolone cheese. Add the top buns and then coat with the garlic butter. And then place in the oven at 350 for 16-18 mins. Or until the buns are nice and toasty.
While the sliders are in the oven strain your au jus and place it into individual dipping saucers for serving, skim fat as well.
Serve and enjoy.

French Onion Dip Sliders.jpg

• Like 1