The Wild West

tadbart

Been in Phoenix for 3 weeks out of this month, with a short hiatus to Athens GA to work a weekend at my clinic there. Been pretty much working every night shift, and just got off a 60 hour stretch at work. This clinic is an absolute **** show. That stated, I've tried to have some time to at least look around. 

Earlier this month, I see why the folks in the Wild West were so shooty. 117 degrees is hot. 94 degrees at 6am is fkin ridiculous. I'd shoot someone for farting in my general direction too, if I lived here in the 1800s. Just, wow. OPPRESSIVE heat.

That stated... I've watched these mountains turn from pink to purple, bathed in an orange sunset light, for most of the last month. I've gone from seeing only browns, to seeing all the greens, and all the neat architecture, in the Valley of the Sun. Of course, I've had the chance to talk with so many gorgeous ASU and Mexican women (WOW). 

Phoenix has really grown on me. This town is SO easy to get around in, without having to drive around lakes (like I do in FL) or mountains (like I do in Kenville). 

Last night, it was cloudy with scattered showers. Yep, rain. In the desert. It feels like Florida here this morning. I swear to you guys, with all I got, that the sunset last night looked just like the AZ flag. I work tonight, then have the next 36 hours off. Gonna head up to Sedona when I get off Tue at 0800, and probably car camp near meteor crater Tuesday night. Petrified Forest NP on Wednesday, then blast back to PHX to work Wed night. Of course, I left my National Parks Passport book at home, as this was suppose to be a work-only trip. Lesson learned. Also, I left the good camera at home, like an infernal imbecile...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I was stationed at NAS Fallon NV for three years. I loved it. 4000 ft above sea level in the high desert. The weather was incredible. Six inches of snow on the ground at 8 am, 80°F at noon. Thunderstorms with frequent lightning and a heavy rain curtain that evaporates before it hits the ground. Air so dry an ice cold can of beer would have no condensation on it. I should have retired there.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Pima Pants said:

Next time you are heading north from Phoenix, let me know and I will show you around Prescott, especially Whisky Row and the Courthouse Square. Definitely an Old West vibe at the Palace Saloon and their original 1880's ornate wooden bar.

Wayne salute.gif

I have a very good friend who lives in Chino Valley...not to far from Prescott.

Anyway.  I really liked Arizona when i was there but that was many years ago. 

One day when I disappear it might be the place to go. Or, maybe, i just dropped a false lead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Historian said:

I have a very good friend who lives in Chino Valley...not to far from Prescott.

Anyway.  I really liked Arizona when i was there but that was many years ago. 

One day when I disappear it might be the place to go. Or, maybe, i just dropped a false lead.

I'll help hide you out until your trail goes cold.

• Haha 3

@NPTim Bossman only hires FNPs, man. Gotta take care of the sticky little boogery vectors, amigo. 

@Pima Pants I'll take you up on that, Sir. I have a feeling I'll be out here a few times a year. 

@Historian I really like your statement. "Don't have anything to run from.  Just don't want to be found."  If that ain't song lyrics, it should be. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tadbart said:

@NPTim Bossman only hires FNPs, man. Gotta take care of the sticky little boogery vectors, amigo. 

@Pima Pants I'll take you up on that, Sir. I have a feeling I'll be out here a few times a year. 

@Historian I really like your statement. "Don't have anything to run from.  Just don't want to be found."  If that ain't song lyrics, it should be. 

My comment was mine.  Not a lyric.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Pima Pants said:

Next time you are heading north from Phoenix, let me know and I will show you around Prescott, especially Whisky Row and the Courthouse Square. Definitely an Old West vibe at the Palace Saloon and their original 1880's ornate wooden bar.

Wayne salute.gif

Years ago happened to be in Prescott when they were having a cowboy artists’ quick draw contest.

Doesn’t Ruger have facilities there now?

When someone in Texas sees a rattlesnake that you are about to step on,  they don't jump around yelling, "SNAKE! SNAKE! JUMP! RUN!".

The first guy just stands there, swigs his beer,  nudges the guy next to him and nods toward you,  that guy nudges the next guy, he nudges the next guy....   and then they are just standing there smirking and grinning at you.

"What?"

(I've actually seen it "raining fire in the sky" in Colorado.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

When someone in Texas sees a rattlesnake that you are about to step on,  they don't jump around yelling, "SNAKE! SNAKE! JUMP! RUN!".

The first guy just stands there, swigs his beer,  nudges the guy next to him and nods toward you,  that guy nudges the next guy, he nudges the next guy....   and then they are just standing there smirking and grinning at you.

"What?"

(I've actually seen it "raining fire in the sky" in Colorado.)

how many Texicans you think been needlessly bite by Snakes just for the Humor of it?

On 9/28/2021 at 9:43 PM, holyjohnson said:

how many Texicans you think been needlessly bite by Snakes just for the Humor of it?

All of them.

"What are you trying to tell me?  Speak up!"

"a... a... the.... bit......"

"Timmy?!?"

"No.  the... the.... the..."

"Timmy's in the well???  Over there???"

• Haha 2