Dementia...

Swampfox762

I call it cancer of the self.  It slowly takes away bits and pieces of the person you loved.  My dad had it towards the end.  Mom is slowing down a bit, but I don't think she does.  Having experienced it with others I am very vigilant about it with mom.  Her brain ain't as good as it used to be, but I don't think it is dementia just a little slower because she is 78.  My great aunt had it some, but she was fairly functional and was able to live by herself until she died about 2 years ago at 97 or 96.  I have worked with the elderly and it is tough.

• Like 2

My 86 year old mom lives with me and she has her good days and bad days. On her good days she is sharp as a tack. On her bad days she can't tell time with a digital clock. So far good days far outnumber the bad, but good days can go bad like turning a switch. It's heartbreaking.

• Thanks 1

Dealing with my MIL. Tough to watch. She can;t even write a check, something they still do. There are days she has a hard time just wring her name.

The meds help, and exciting events and new challenges keep her pretty on top of things, so far. Christmas parties, grandchildren visiting, and we are hounding all of them, and other things seem to help, and for quite a while.

It will all come to an end, and we are grateful that we still have her.

It is tough, but at some point, when it is at it's worst, there will be the heart wrenching questions, but for the most part, you are suffering much more than they are. If there is any comfort in all that, that is one of the things.

God Bless

• Like 2