Butter knife thread

gwalchmai

24 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

What do you use to spread butter on bread? Do you use a common table knife <snicker> or a dedicated professional tool? I have a sterling tool  which resides in its own butter knife caddy.

Also, how do you store your butter?

Ok....I'm gonna catch hell for this but here goes.  A standard "Table" butter knife.  AND...You're gonna kill me for this too...I keep it in a covered dish on the counter.  Been doin that for YEARS.  I can't STAND cold butter on my warm toast!!!

On another note..."Cheese Knife"...

I remember many moons ago when my Mom and Dad came down to visit, he had brought some Real good cheese, and he said, "Son, where is your "cheese knife?"  I handed him a table steak knife and he was Mortified!!! :anim_lol:  I said, "Dad, It's a Knife.  It cuts cheese."

I will admit, Now days, when we have people over, I do have an actual "Cheese Board with Cheese knife".:greensupergrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We use butter in my house, no plastic. A common table knife is used, I'm too cheap to buy another tool that will work just the same as what I have a drawer full of.

We store it in the fridge. I take it out when I start a meal that I know will need it on the table. We don't use a lot on average. When we had the kids home, it would stay on the table from the time we got home until bed time.

Summer time in Texas, the house stays ~78 degrees, so I'd rather have it refrigerated in off times.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

We store it in the fridge. I take it out when I start a meal that I know will need it on the table.

We use Butter on EVERYTHING so we go thru a stick in about 2 days.  Then I'll clean out the butter tray with hot water and soap and then put in a new stick.  Never had a problem over many years.  Mrs. Swamp keeps the house at 75 in the day...Yeah, I know.  Ya don't want to know night time temp.  "You cold??  Put on a sweatshirt".  "Yes Ma'am".

• Like 1

Real butter works best at room temperature, we take out of the frig beforehand when going to use.  Most of the time the butter knife stays in the drawer but it does come out for occasions.  Wife has been making honey butter for use on homemade bread.  Got to limit that good stuff for for the sake of the waistline.

• Like 1

The butter is stored in the cabinet in one of those stoneware crocks that sits upside down in another crock with water in it.  It doesn't melt that way even when I shut off the AC and let the house get up into the 80s.  Everyone around here is annoyed if the butter is cold from the fridge.  I have a little "butter knife" that is actually the knife from one of the kids first real flatware sets (have no idea what happened to the fork or spoon, but the knife survives as the butter knife).  Most of the time, no one remembers to get it out and they just use whatever knife they grab from the silverware drawer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

We use Butter on EVERYTHING so we go thru a stick in about 2 days.  Then I'll clean out the butter tray with hot water and soap and then put in a new stick.  Never had a problem over many years.  Mrs. Swamp keeps the house at 75 in the day...Yeah, I know.  Ya don't want to know night time temp.  "You cold??  Put on a sweatshirt".  "Yes Ma'am".

Yea, if we went through it that fast it would stay out. It may take 2 weeks or so to go through a stick. Just the two of us, and we don't use a lot.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LostinTexas said:

Yea, if we went through it that fast it would stay out. It may take 2 weeks or so to go through a stick. Just the two of us, and we don't use a lot.

Hear ya. :cool:  

Just GOT to have my two pieces of Pepperage Farm, 7 grain toast in the morning with my eggs and Bacon.  Of course the eggs are cooked in butter.   AND...Maine Blue berry Jelly on my toast!

Ifin I'm gonna die...It's gonna be happy.  I'm too old to "cut back" now.  Don't believe in that crap.  Throw in an Atkins Protein shake for each of us...and that's why we only eat 2 meals a day.

Just for the record...I do walk on a treadmill...2 miles a day, and do 5 lb hand weights in 3 different sets two times during my 25 min. walk at 5 miles per hour.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Hear ya. :cool:  

Just GOT to have my two pieces of Pepperage Farm, 7 grain toast in the morning with my eggs and Bacon.  Of course the eggs are cooked in butter.   AND...Maine Blue berry Jelly on my toast!

Ifin I'm gonna die...It's gonna be happy.  I'm too old to "cut back" now.  Don't believe in that crap.  Throw in an Atkins Protein shake for each of us...and that's why we only eat 2 meals a day.

Just for the record...I do walk on a treadmill...2 miles a day, and do 5 lb hand weights in 3 different sets two times during my 25 min. walk at 5 miles per hour.

Yea, we don't enjoy much for bread these days. A piece of toast on Sunday, and every few weeks a couple of biscuits.

Then again, around the holidays or when I just get a wild hair, I can go through a pound in a day of cooking, if not more.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Breakfast has Always been my Mainstay meal, all my life.  AND, my Favorite meal.  Hell, back in the day...I'd have it for Dinner!!!:cool:

You should read the back of a Pepperage Farm, 7 Grain Bread loaf.  Ya might want to try some.  I "stepped" off the reservation last week and bought a loaf of "honey wheat"...

Wife ended up makin most of it into french toast after I cut the crust off.  "Indulge" in one of those may be once a week till that ****'s gone. With Sugar Free syrup of course...

• Like 2

a Regular Table knife and the ceramic butter crock on the Counter.

we have two actual Butter knives.

one is Metal and the other is Wood.

i don`t eat much Bread anymore, so Butter is used to Cook with or sit on Pancakes or if i`m feeling Froggy a Fresh Blueberry Muffin.

• Like 3

I can keep the butter in the fridge and pull it out when needed.

One steely glare from TBO melts it in no time. :tbo:

Okay, reality time here. I mostly keep it on the counter w/o issue. There's about a 2 wk period some summers I move it to the fridge.

I use an old time classic butter knife handed down through the family. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 8/30/2021 at 4:24 PM, gwalchmai said:

What do you use to spread butter on bread? Do you use a common table knife <snicker> or a dedicated professional tool? I have a sterling tool  which resides in its own butter knife caddy.

Also, how do you store your butter?

Goodness.  The things people actually care about.  

• Haha 1