Mitt Romney: Trump Administration Helped ‘Cause this Crisis’ in Afghanistan

pipedreams

"Romney said, “Leaving Americans behind and leaving our Afghan friends behind, who worked with us, would put upon us and will put upon us a moral stain. This is the result of very ineffective decisions by the prior administration and the current administration. This did not have to happen. It was preventable. And let me note that’s very different than the military. Our military came in at the very last moment and has performed admirably as far as I can tell to move people out as quickly as possible. We didn’t have to be in this rush, rush circumstance with terrorists breathing down our neck. It’s the responsibility of the prior administration and this administration that’s cause this crisis to be upon us and has led to what is, without question, a humanitarian and foreign policy tragedy.”"

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2021/08/29/mitt-romney-trump-administration-helped-cause-this-crisis-in-afghanistan/

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

"Romney said, “Leaving Americans behind and leaving our Afghan friends behind, who worked with us, would put upon us and will put upon us a moral stain. This is the result of very ineffective decisions by the prior administration and the current administration. This did not have to happen. It was preventable. And let me note that’s very different than the military. Our military came in at the very last moment and has performed admirably as far as I can tell to move people out as quickly as possible. We didn’t have to be in this rush, rush circumstance with terrorists breathing down our neck. It’s the responsibility of the prior administration and this administration that’s cause this crisis to be upon us and has led to what is, without question, a humanitarian and foreign policy tragedy.”"

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2021/08/29/mitt-romney-trump-administration-helped-cause-this-crisis-in-afghanistan/

It's always "Someone else's fault", isn't it Democrats!

• Like 4

Watching them unload the caskets from the C-17 at Dover AFB today was hard, and reminded me of the days after the Beirut bombing in 1983. All kinds of sorrow and handwringing from elected officials and the general public over a very visible sh*tshow that was the direct result of a foreign policy failure combined with rules of engagement which prevented our Marines from defending themselves; but a year later... all forgotten as Reagan was reelected in a landslide. Beirut was forgotten by everyone except the families and the comrades of the 241 fallen Marines and corpsmen. Most folks today couldn't even find Beirut on a map.

Our 13 fellow service men and women who fell in Kabul will suffer the same fate. The general public has a short memory, unless they had a spouse, son or daughter who served in the GWOT and deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan.  The cynics among us will be quick to say that those who served in uniform knew what they were getting into when they enlisted. And those cynics would be partially correct... we did know, but took the oath anyway, and for many reasons, but all underscored by the fact that wearing that uniform and serving honorably meant serving a greater good. And believing that our elected leaders had learned from Vietnam, Lebanon, Somalia, and would not commit the same mistakes.

I don't regret a single moment in the 20 years, 2 months, and 10 days spent in uniform; in fact, it was the highlight of my life. What I regret now is ever believing that the elected officials under whose tenure I served ever cared about the sacrifices we made... not just by those in uniform, but our families, too. Did it mean anything? Maybe some day we can make a law that requires the sons and daughters of politicians to serve in infantry units as a prerequisite to running for elected office. Count me as a "yes" vote on that one.

Semper Fidelis

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, TXUSMC said:

Watching them unload the caskets from the C-17 at Dover AFB today was hard, and reminded me of the days after the Beirut bombing in 1983. All kinds of sorrow and handwringing from elected officials and the general public over a very visible sh*tshow that was the direct result of a foreign policy failure combined with rules of engagement which prevented our Marines from defending themselves; but a year later... all forgotten as Reagan was reelected in a landslide. Beirut was forgotten by everyone except the families and the comrades of the 241 fallen Marines and corpsmen. Most folks today couldn't even find Beirut on a map.

Our 13 fellow service men and women who fell in Kabul will suffer the same fate. The general public has a short memory, unless they had a spouse, son or daughter who served in the GWOT and deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan.  The cynics among us will be quick to say that those who served in uniform knew what they were getting into when they enlisted. And those cynics would be partially correct... we did know, but took the oath anyway, and for many reasons, but all underscored by the fact that wearing that uniform and serving honorably meant serving a greater good. And believing that our elected leaders had learned from Vietnam, Lebanon, Somalia, and would not commit the same mistakes.

I don't regret a single moment in the 20 years, 2 months, and 10 days spent in uniform; in fact, it was the highlight of my life. What I regret now is ever believing that the elected officials under whose tenure I served ever cared about the sacrifices we made... not just by those in uniform, but our families, too. Did it mean anything? Maybe some day we can make a law that requires the sons and daughters of politicians to serve in infantry units as a prerequisite to running for elected office. Count me as a "yes" vote on that one.

Semper Fidelis

Add sons and daughters of top employees in “defense” industries - or better yet the top employees themselves.

Nothing has changed since Major General Smedley Butler wrote “War Is A Racket”…

https://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/warisaracket.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1