Did we learn anything from Hurricane Katrina?

inthefrey

• Administrators

Weird. Katrina hit New Orleans on my birthday in 2005 and this one could hit on the same day, in the same place this year. And of course, 29 August is Judgement Day, in the Terminator movie series.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Eric said:

Weird. Katrina hit New Orleans on my birthday in 2005 and this one could hit on the same day, in the same place this year. And of course, 29 August is Judgement Day, in the Terminator movie series.

Not sure I completely understand your meaning here. Are you equating your brother's birthday to judgment day? 😳

• Haha 1

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, inthefrey said:

Not sure I completely understand your meaning here. Are you equating your brother's birthday to judgment day? 😳

My birthday and yes. My mother painted that picture of my birth often enough. I had a really big head even as a baby. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LostinTexas said:

We learned a whole lot. Will we act on what we learned? Since there are so many Democrats elected in La, I don't have a lot of faith. This time they can blame their savior though, so there is always that.

They'll find a way to blame Trump.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Utah sure as hell did. We hired the Louisiana director of emergency services after it was over. He totally revamped our response plan in case of a major earthquake. 

Emergency directors are usually egos hoping something goes wrong, very few of them are worth a damn in any real emergency.

I used to secure the emergency operations center, if it all went sideways my job was to collect the elected officials and top level emergency managers and take them to the operations center. I begged to have a different assignment, baby sittting whiny entitled oversized brats is not what I was born to do. I told the sheriff this and he said that was my primary qualification.

5 minutes ago, Fog said:

Emergency directors are usually egos hoping something goes wrong, very few of them are worth a damn in any real emergency.

I used to secure the emergency operations center, if it all went sideways my job was to collect the elected officials and top level emergency managers and take them to the operations center. I begged to have a different assignment, baby sittting whiny entitled oversized brats is not what I was born to do. I told the sheriff this and he said that was my primary qualification.

This guy was good. No BS. Just facts and the reality of a bad event. Biggest thing he did was to create a realistic communication system. He spoke at a conference I attended. I loved his information and approach. 

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

Utah sure as hell did. We hired the Louisiana director of emergency services after it was over. He totally revamped our response plan in case of a major earthquake. 

Forgive me, but isn't that like hiring Custer because he has experience with Indian attacks?

Not really. Louisiana officials had ignored warnings from their own emergency response team for years. Mostly citing budget problems. There was a lot they ignored.

Blaming the response teams is like blaming a bad employee with a boss who refuses to give the employee any support. 

After Katrina hit it was a total fluster kluck. By the time we hired him he was through with taking **** from elected officials. We hired him to be blunt. He was. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Batesmotel said:

Not really. Louisiana officials had ignored warnings from their own emergency response team for years. Mostly citing budget problems. There was a lot they ignored.

Blaming the response teams is like blaming a bad employee with a boss who refuses to give the employee any support. 

After Katrina hit it was a total fluster kluck. By the time we hired him he was through with taking **** from elected officials. We hired him to be blunt. He was. 

That's good to hear. Most of those positions are filled with those who kiss the rump of elected officials. Seen too many times where they just get in the way.

• Like 1