Charlie Watts, the heartbeat of the Rolling Stones, dead at 80

Borg warner

He wasn't a flashy drummer, he was just rock solid. And he was known for being truly humble and never wanted to be a rock and roll star.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/charlie-watts-rolling-stones-drummer-dead-obit-1161926/

Here's just one of his stand out performances. Listen to the way the drums kick in after the Guitar intro in this song. I also like the interplay with the Bass and guitars throughout the song. He and Bill Wyman were a great rhythm section.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Historian said:

Had the pleasure of hearing them live once....and seeing them live another time.

One hell of a band.   One hell of a trip they had.  It will be interesting to see if they continue.

One thing is for sure...they were the best.

I graduated high school in 1966 and friends of mine went to some of the early stones concerts in !964 and 1965. and in 1965 they followed the band's limo from the concert hall to a motel where they were staying and got some pictures of some of the guys in the band, Brian Jones, and Charlie Watts I'm still in touch with those guys today and for about 5 years in a row we were getting together every year in the different cities where we all live. My one friend who followed the limo to the motel in 65 still has those pictures which I will post here.

I didn't get to see the band live until 1975 at the L.A. forum which was one of their best shows.

Pictures: Brian Jones holding a cat Charlie Watts signing an autograph. Also in the picture to the left is Charlie's wife of many years. They were married in 1964. The picture of Brian Jones my friend loaned it to Rolling Stone magazine and they never returned the original.

stones81.jpg

stones82.jpg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

I didn't get to see the band live until 1975 at the L.A. forum which was one of their best shows.

Pictures: Brian Jones holding a cat Charlie Watts signing an autograph. Also in the picture to the left is Charlie's wife of many years. They were married in 1964. The picture of Brian Jones my friend loaned it to Rolling Stone and they never returned the original.

Amazing memory.   A friend of mine, who recently retired, had a great memory of the Stones.    

She and some friends were in a park eating lunch.  Just a friendly picnic.   The stones pull off road and stop where they were....signed a bunch of autographs.   Shared some of their lunch...and some of my friend's party.

They were gone in thirty minutes.   But she had photos of the event.

Anyway.  Charlie was one of a kind.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

He collected some of the rarest cars in the world but didn’t drive. Didn’t even have a license. Interesting guy. 

In the 1970s he was at a part at the Playboy mansion and refused to hang out with the babes.   He played video games and remained true to his wife.

When Charlie made up his mind....he made up his mind.

• Like 1

The first concert I took my Dad to, was the Stones. He had taken me to see bands such as Rush, Huey Lewis, Hall and Oates, etc. as a kid. But after I got a job and got stable, I returned the favor with Stones tickets. Helluva memory. Those old dudes (yeah, back in the late 1990s) ROCKED. 

RIP Charlie.

• Like 1