Spicy/Hot Foods

Eric

I've always liked spicy food and I still put hot salsa on half of everything that I eat and it's especially good on omelets. I like the Pico de gallo salsa that you can get in most supermarkets and I like Pace picante which comes in mil,medium, and Hot, and a lot of times the stores don't have hot so I get medium and add sriracha hot sauce to it and sometimes I just use the Sriracha instead of Salsa. And I never use regular ketchup now that I can find Sriracha ketchup locally My favorite spicy food is ALL spicy foods, Mexican, Vietnamese, Korean, Indian and especially Thai.

When I lived in Los Angeles I had a favorite Thai Restaurant I liked to go to that had the type of liquor license where they couldn't serve liquor but you could bring your own wine and there was Liquor Barn around the corner that had good wine at low prices. When my first wife and I started dating I took her there and brought a bottle of nouveau Beaujolais and when we were about to order they asked us, "How spicy, mild, hot, medium hot, or Hot-hot?" and my wife-to-be says, "oh Mild Hot for me but for him, the hotter the better"  So the waitress looks me in the eye and says, "Oh! You want THAI hot??" --Which is hotter than Hot-hot which is mostly for round-eyes who only think they can handle hot spices, but wanting to impress my girlfriend and enhance my street cred, I said Yes, Thai hot.

So the bring us our plates and what seemed to be the entire restaurant staff came to our table to watch me make a fool of myself. and I'm eating it and I'm having to wipe the sweat from my face and they can see I'm in distress, so sadistically they ask me if I want water which makes it worse. And I said, no, but bring me a glass of milk and more napkins.

These days I can't handle Thai hot anymore and no habanero or ghost peppers for me. Sriracha hot sauce and Jalapeño based sauces have been just the right level of heat for me since I moved to Washington State where not as much spicy food is available and I'm older and not as used to really hot food anymore. But every once in a while I'll eat something that will burn coming out the other end.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Historian said:

This stuff can melt metal.

Mad Dog 357 Gold Edition Hot Sauce 1,000,000+ SHU

That has been in the lineup on the Hot Ones You Tube videos before. I love that channel. They interview celebs while they eat progressively hotter chicken wings. It is a clever format and it is well-produced.

8 hours ago, Eric said:

That has been in the lineup on the Hot Ones You Tube videos before. I love that channel. They interview celebs while they eat progressively hotter chicken wings. It is a clever format and it is well-produced.

Mrs. Historian and I enjoy that program and she purchased Da Bomb for me.

Trust me.  It's a full on OC exposure.

• Like 1

I don't like eating things just because they're hot. All the pacqui chip challenges and that type of stuff is not for me. But I do like a bit of tingle when it comes to heat. The chipotle Tabasco is also high on my favorites list. I used to add half a bottle of it to my crock pot when I made chili, along with a heavy hand of various pepper varieties. Sriracha on pizza was also a frequent occurrence for me but the older I get, the less my insides can stand lots of hot stuff.

I've toned down to mostly just Old Bay Hot Sauce but I put it on a lot of stuff. It's not very hot at all. Actually buffalo wing sauce is hotter. I just like the flavor. I still always get the spicy Chick-fil-A sandwich, which normally isn't what I'd conside hot except for that one I got a month or so back. I swear something went very wrong in that kitchen because I could barely eat that thing. My mouth burned for 20 miles up the road after I finished it and my poop shoot felt like the nozzle on a flame thrower later that evening.

• Like 1

A person I know grows Carolina Reaper and Ghost peppers, among other kinds of peppers.  It’s a hobby.  He takes some to work and slices off thin slices which is about all most could stand.  A fairly new guy he thought was Samoan tried a bite and asked if he could have the rest of the pepper.  20 minutes later he came back and said those were really good, got anymore?  They believed him to be a Terminator.  

• Haha 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, 21 shooter said:

A person I know grows Carolina Reaper and Ghost peppers, among other kinds of peppers.  It’s a hobby.  He takes some to work and slices off thin slices which is about all most could stand.  A fairly new guy he thought was Samoan tried a bite and asked if he could have the rest of the pepper.  20 minutes later he came back and said those were really good, got anymore?  They believed him to be a Terminator.  

He probably terminated the toilet later. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, 21 shooter said:

I have a buddy who married a girl from China.  Lovely young lady he rescued from that communist disaster.

Anyway.  She will put three or four Ghost peppers on a plate with dinner...and eat them whole.

9 hours ago, jfost11 said:

I've toned down to mostly just Old Hot Sauce but I put it on a lot of stuff. It's not very hot at all. Actually buffalo wing sauce is hotter. I just like the flavor. I still always get the spicy Chick-fil-A sandwich, which normally isn't what I'd conside hot except for that one I got a month or so back. I swear something went very wrong in that kitchen because I could barely eat that thing. My mouth burned for 20 miles up the road after I finished it and my poop shoot felt like the nozzle on a flame thrower later that evening.

I got one of those off-the-scale CFA sammiches a couple months ago. :newburn:

6 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

I got one of those off-the-scale CFA sammiches a couple months ago. :newburn:

I was searching the internet trying to find out if they changed the recipe or if it was a fluke. I was scared to get it the next time I went and opted for a regular one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 21 shooter said:

Haha!

Some years back a guy I worked with brought in a couple crock pots of chili to work,along with his home grown ghost and habanero peppers that he had dried and put in pepper mills. I added some of both, didn't think it had enough kick and added more ghost, sampled again, then another bit more. I wasnt aware of the slow build of the ghost then. It didnt bother me a whole lot going down but I was sweating like a pig at the slaughter house finishing that little bowl of chili. That was before my stomach stopped tolerating hot stuff very well.

1 hour ago, jfost11 said:

I was searching the internet trying to find out if they changed the recipe or if it was a fluke. I was scared to get it the next time I went and opted for a regular one.

Not sure if the heat is from liquid or powder, but it's probably just inconsistent mixing among the batches. OR, it could be that the batter is shipped in 5 gal tubs and somebody is smuggling meth in some of the tubs and one of the bags-o-meth leaked. It could happen.

Daddy grew Chile Petines. Beauty of a bush.  Grandma had a small garden in the flower bed, she grew Cyan of some sort. Those things would set Satan on fire. Not sure what they did to them, but Daddy saved seeds every year for both.

I went to boot camp before I ever realized meal time wasn't supposed to be painful.

On 8/27/2021 at 4:49 PM, Historian said:

I like this quiet a bit as well.   Different. Goes great on a hot dog or pork.

Review: Professor Phardtpounders Colon Cleaner Hot Sauce ...

This looks interesting.  In my younger days I found that hot wings dipped in a lot of hot sauce, chased with copious amounts of beer ( Michelob if I had some extra money) to have the same effect.  This can also cause one to look for a fast creek with cold water the next day.   Really cold water.