Smoke detectors are for idiots!

crockett

31 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

The apartment at my shop has 2 detectors wired together. When one fails they both beep so it's unpossible to know which one needs the attention. The new detectors have a shelf life and need to be replaced every few years. Not a fan.

They do that on purpose. Smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years, max. Spider webs, dust, mold, dander, pollution, and in your case (mine too), soot clog them up.

20 minutes ago, jmohme said:

The wife and I were on a motorcycle trip a few years back. We checked into a fairly nice hotel. We were settling into our room and heard a chirp. "What was that?" my wife asks. A few minutes later we hear it again. and again, and again.

Finally figured out it was the smoke detector. We saw the red LED flat when it would chirp. I called down to the front desk and asked for a different room, but we had gotten the last one, and it was late, so I said screw it and claimed on a chair and removed the battery. A few minutes later, I hear the chirp again, so I get back up on the chair with my multitool in hand, removed the mounting screws and unplugged it.

At that point, I figured I had better inform the guy at the front desk what I had done, and rather than calling him, I headed to the front desk with the unplugged smoke detector in one hand, and the 9volt battery that I had removed from it earlier in my other hand. I informed the young man what I had done and set the two items on the counter. He started to inform me of the error of my ways, when the disconnected and batteryless smoke detectors chirped on the counter.

I went back to my room and went to sleep.

As worthless as a covid shot!

It wasn't malfunctioning. As irritating as it is, most will chirp for a while, so they have some kind of internal capacitor or backup. Ours do the same, and will chirp for about 5 minutes or so when a fresh battery is installed. The time it is chirping is relevant to the time it continues after power is restored.

Irritating, but we have to be protected from ourselves, like it or not. You are also lucky the Fire Marshall didn't pay you a visit. It would be out of the ordinary, but then removing a life saving device from a public place is a bit extraordinary.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

It wasn't malfunctioning. As irritating as it is, most will chirp for a while, so they have some kind of internal capacitor or backup. Ours do the same, and will chirp for about 5 minutes or so when a fresh battery is installed. The time it is chirping is relevant to the time it continues after power is restored.

Irritating, but we have to be protected from ourselves, like it or not. You are also lucky the Fire Marshall didn't pay you a visit. It would be out of the ordinary, but then removing a life saving device from a public place is a bit extraordinary.

Yup. Same with your phone.  When ya shut it OFF, 
There's a "capacitor" that keeps the phone active for up to 24 hrs.  So your LOCATION can still be accessed.  You want off the grid.  SMASH that phone with a hammer...don't just "Turn it off"... Dangerous times folks...dangerous times...

• Sad 2

Sorry crockett but i am keeping mine. I replace the batteries on daylight savings times every year. Havent burned my food in many years. Keep calm and cook on bro. You ok buddy you seem pretty high strung lately? 

8 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Yes, I understand why it was still chirping, but the look on the young guys face at the check in desk when the unplugged detector without a battery beeped at him was priceless

• Haha 1

I got so annoyed with the DEAFENING one that went  off 2 minutes into browning some ground meat on the stove...When it wouldn't turn off,  I ripped it out of the ceiling and threw it into the yard.  It was so loud in the house that the dog took off in terror when I opened the door and ran to the neighbors' porch (that's a fair distance), and cried at their door til she came out to see what the problem was.  I have a better replacement around here somewhere, but I haven't managed to install it yet.  Probably should get around to that sooner rather than later...

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I got so annoyed with the DEAFENING one that went  off 2 minutes into browning some ground meat on the stove...When it wouldn't turn off,  I ripped it out of the ceiling and threw it into the yard.  It was so loud in the house that the dog took off in terror when I opened the door and ran to the neighbors' porch (that's a fair distance), and cried at their door til she came out to see what the problem was.  I have a better replacement around here somewhere, but I haven't managed to install it yet.  Probably should get around to that sooner rather than later...

Now that's exactly my style!

• Like 1