In Case Some Of You Guys Thought Crew Duty Was Boring

willie-pete

1 hour ago, kerbie18 said:

I'd still like to be a fly on the wall for THAT call to the homeowner's insurance agent. Hello? State Farm Insurance? The Air Force dropped a nuclear bomb on your property by accident? Let me locate the form for that...

I think the .gov gave them around $10k to fill the hole and build a new house.  It hit that close to the house.

See The North is still fighting the "Recent Unpleasantness"... LOL

On 8/19/2021 at 7:44 PM, Historian said:

Or the other Carolina.

https://gizmodo.com/in-1958-america-accidentally-dropped-a-nuclear-weapon-5904633

In both incidents, complete catastrophe was avoided thanks to that ever-potent combination of foresight and unmitigated dumb luck. And in the former incident, the bomb fell square on some unsuspecting children's playhouse.

Somewhere out there is a child, probably grown now, that can honestly claim the street cred that their playhouse got ******* nuked and he survived...

• Like 2

On 8/19/2021 at 9:03 AM, Historian said:

The amount of power...energy...you mention is beyond normal understanding.

And yet...the sucker didn't leak!

Also characteristic of the Nuclear Power industry spent fuel casings.  I watched a video of a rocket sled shooting a spent fuel cask into a concrete wall.  The cask just bounced off, intact!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

Also characteristic of the Nuclear Power industry spent fuel casings.  I watched a video of a rocket sled shooting a spent fuel cask into a concrete wall.  The cask just bounced off, intact!

I should have gone into that kind of job.

PHD...Wile E Coyotee School of Engineering.

I think you guys start by saying, "Hold my beer!  I saw this in a cartoon!  I think we can do it!"

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Historian said:

I should have gone into that kind of job.

PHD...Wile E Coyotee School of Engineering.

I think you guys start by saying, "Hold my beer!  I saw this in a cartoon!  I think we can do it!"

I was interested in the spent fuel storage casks, because so many of my extended family work in the Nuclear Power industry.  They work as reactor operators, industry consultants/advisors, regulations experts, etc.  So we talk a lot about the industry.

For example:  A local Nuc power company has just upgraded their facility remote 50 cals, to 4(quad mounts) 50 caliber remote controlled site protection.   And other stuff..........

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

I believe it's called a broken arrow. The fact that there is a term for it, and even a movie named after the occasional loss of a nuclear weapon, is more disturbing...

Giles Prentice: A Broken what?

Secretary Baird: Broken Arrow. It's a Class 4 Strategic Theatre Emergency. It's what we call it when we lose a nuclear weapon.

Giles Prentice: I don't know what's scarier, losing nuclear weapons, or that it happens so often there's actually a term for it.

Occasion loss ?

:anim_rofl2:

To date there have been 32 since 1950.  There are still half a dozen or so still missing IIRC.

https://www.businessinsider.com/list-of-broken-arrow-nuclear-accidents-2013-5

And that's not counting the " Bent Spears " and " Dull Swords " - lesser incidents with nukes.

• Like 2