Eric And His Buds Changing A Tire On The Road

Maser

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

On PURPOSE???  Must have been a GREAT night!!!:anim_lol:

Me and some friends ditched computer school one day and drove to Corpus Christi. We had enough money between us to pay for enough gas (Barely) to get back home afterward. We had a flat about 30 miles from Corpus and no spare. So, we drove the rest of the way on the flat. One of the guys in the car had an uncle that lived there and he fixed us up with a spare. The brake drum and brake hardware on that hub were completely destroyed. I took it all off, I took some foil from an old Nestle's Crunch bar that was in the car, wadded it up, unscrewed the brake line to the wheel cylinder for that hub, shoved the foil into the wheel cylinder bore that the line threaded into and tightened the brake line against it. It kept the brake fluid from leaking out and we drove home with three brakes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Eric said:

Me and some friends ditched computer school one day and drove to Corpus Christi. We had enough money between us to pay for enough gas (Barely) to get back home afterward. We had a flat about 30 miles from Corpus and no spare. So, we drove the rest of the way on the flat. One of the guys in the car had an uncle that lived there and he fixed us up with a spare. The brake drum and brake hardware on that hub were completely destroyed. I took it all off, I took some foil from an old Nestle's Crunch bar that was in the car, wadded it up, unscrewed the brake line to the wheel cylinder for that hub, shoved the foil into the wheel cylinder bore that the line threaded into and tightened the brake line against it. It kept the brake fluid from leaking out and we drove home with three brakes.

The "young" have no FEAR    No BRAINS, but NO FEAR     9_9

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Eric said:

I'm guessing at the time you didn't know about downshifting to slow/stop a car.  I learned that early on in my driving lessons just in case the brakes failed. 

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Maser said:

I'm guessing at the time you didn't know about downshifting to slow/stop a car.  I learned that early on in my driving lessons just in case the brakes failed. 

My father restored, modified and built antique cars/street rods. I grew up pushing, pulling, towing and driving all manner of old cars, in all kinds of condition. Downshifting to slow down was an early lesson. I drove down the continental divide in Montana on Lookout Pass about 10pm at night in icy conditions with no rear brakes, about eight months after the flat I mentioned above. Downshifting to control speed is the first move, but it wasn’t enough then. I ended up steering with one hand, while I leaned forward to pull the and hold the parking brake release under the dash with the other and operated the parking brake with my left foot. That was an interesting drive. There was freezing drizzle and patch ice to deal with.

Engine braking only accomplishes so much. Plus it’s not a lot of help for sudden slowdowns and stops. If I can fix the brakes with a candy wrapper so that I still have three fully functional brakes, that’s a win. Losing one rear drum brake on a Chevy Citation was hardly even noticeable. Losing all the brakes because the system bled out would have sucked.

Anyway, using downshifting to control speed on a car with an automatic transmission is much less affective and it overheats the transmission very quickly. If you are relying on the trans for braking and you break the trans, you are boned.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Eric said:

Thats some "Old school"...Fixit **** right there.  AND...you're 20 years years younger than me.  There's still hope....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1