The New Phonebook's Here!!!

Eric

8 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Yes there was.  BUT..ya had to take the TIME to "READ".  That is a lost art...that nowdays, only applys to cell phone texts.:(

Reading is a lost art?  Maybe with a traditional book.   

Finding facts?!  Now that's a rare one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DAKA said:

Now that you mention it...I remember also...Dewey decimal and card files in little drawers....boy are we old.

Thinking back I remember our first "computer" we planned a European trip on it WEB TV...

WEB TV....yeah that was a thing.   Wow.   Long since gone.

I used to volunteer to shelve books in the high school and junior high library.    So I got to know that Dewey system very well.

A friend of mine has a card catalog at home.  He uses it for manually tracking information related to his job as a professor at a university.

It's an interesting labor of love.   But it works for him and he has turned it into a massive data collector.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Historian said:

Reading is a lost art?  Maybe with a traditional book.   

Finding facts?!  Now that's a rare one.

I do still get over to the library and grab a couple of novels...unfortunately some of the authors I used to like have sold out and have other "people" using their "name" or have really run out of good plots and are just crappy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

Naw.  Use to piss me off havin to pick em up and carry em to the "Recycle" bin.  Friggin USELESS now days.  Haven't got one thrown in my driveway in years....

Save a Tree bitches...Really.

Have to disagree with your logic there, Swampy. Phone books were printed on paper made from pulpwood specifically grown to make newsprint. Then they were recycled to print new ones. As they grew these trees made oxygen and ate CO2. AND they provided rural jobs for real Murcans. They were one of the few recycling success stories. :(

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAKA said:

I do still get over to the library and grab a couple of novels...unfortunately some of the authors I used to like have sold out and have other "people" using their "name" or have really run out of good plots and are just crappy

That happens when they become a book mill or they turn an idea into an industry. 

I average about 20 to 30 books a year.  The record about four years ago was 34 in a year.

That does not include technical reading for work.

I really like reading for pleasure.

3 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Was not a waste, but rather a proper allocation of renewable resources which provided a useful product. 

It was a waste because everybody started picking them up just do bin them before they ever made it into the house.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DAKA said:

A lot of the good novelists have died and their estates sold out. Many did sell out while alive. Clancy and Cussler to name two. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Historian said:

That happens when they become a book mill or they turn an idea into an industry. 

I average about 20 to 30 books a year.  The record about four years ago was 34 in a year.

That does not include technical reading for work.

I really like reading for pleasure.

Don’t read for pleasure as much as I once did.  

I’ve been less and less willing to invest time in new to me authors. Some authors who once appealed to me no longer do for various reasons. I have some books by long time favorites in digital form and periodically reread them. 

Been told I need cataract surgery and having that done successfully would revitalize my reading. And maybe it would. 

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Historian said:

WEB TV....yeah that was a thing.   Wow.   Long since gone.

I used to volunteer to shelve books in the high school and junior high library.    So I got to know that Dewey system very well.

A friend of mine has a card catalog at home.  He uses it for manually tracking information related to his job as a professor at a university.

It's an interesting labor of love.   But it works for him and he has turned it into a massive data collector.

I really hated WebTV. Building a website that worked properly for IE and Netscape was bad enough, but along came WebTV. What that format did to HTML was almost impossible to unravel and stay compliant with the two formats that I really had to worry about. It was a PITA. 

15 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Have to disagree with your logic there, Swampy. Phone books were printed on paper made from pulpwood specifically grown to make newsprint. Then they were recycled to print new ones. As they grew these trees made oxygen and ate CO2. AND they provided rural jobs for real Murcans. They were one of the few recycling success stories. :(

They're fun to shoot when you have a nice stack of them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MO Fugga said:

They're fun to shoot when you have a nice stack of them.

There is an urban legend that I once proved that a 3" .410 with #6 shot will blow a hole completely through a 3" Sears catalog, the carpet and padding under it, and the top half of the hardwood floor of my bedroom. The story goes that I successfully covered the hole from when I was 13 until I left for college. But you can't believe everything you read on the internet.

• Haha 2

On 8/16/2021 at 6:46 AM, gwalchmai said:

Spent a night at a motel just off I-81 in Tennessee many years ago. Commented to the clerk while checking in about odor from nearby paper factory and was told “That’s the smell of money.” 

• Like 1