The Fall of Afghanistan

ChuteTheMall

And the real reason military went all volunteer?

Keep doing this s*** over and over with draftees and their relatives will be incensed, marching on DC, occupying Pelosi’s chair, and it can’t all be blamed on Trump. With volunteers, though, “they chose to sign up” so crickets. 

• Sad 4

Falling would imply that is was up at some point.

This is nothing but a media show and Biden is making sure they get the photos they want.

The generals were incensed that Trump wanted to get out and made sure it would be as ugly as possible. I'm starting to think the top brass are not too far off from a coup.

• Like 4

1. It's not the Taliban taking the country over. The Taliban were massacred back in late 2001 & 2002. This is just "warlords" and their militias taking over areas for profit, just like they did after the Soviets left. Soon they will be fighting amongst themselves, just like after the Soviets left.

2. This was always going to be the outcome. It was never in doubt. We'll be back soon, as Afghanistan will again become a breeding ground for terrorism around the globe, since there's not going to be any press or real societal structure there.

• Sad 2

47 minutes ago, M&P15T said:

1. It's not the Taliban taking the country over. The Taliban were massacred back in late 2001 & 2002. This is just "warlords" and their militias taking over areas for profit, just like they did after the Soviets left. Soon they will be fighting amongst themselves, just like after the Soviets left.

2. This was always going to be the outcome. It was never in doubt. We'll be back soon, as Afghanistan will again become a breeding ground for terrorism around the globe, since there's not going to be any press or real societal structure there.

Wonder if the néw rulers will shut down tge heroin pipeline?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

It will go right back to where it was before the war.

And the difference is they will export their ideology as well.   They will come for everyone who helped us in this cause.

This administration has put politics above management of a nation.

Screw'em.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

I read an interesting book about the initial US Military foray into Afghanistan immediately following 9/11.

The people that the CIA & SF hooked up with to battle the Taliban were called the Northern Alliance. A group of Warlords that normally fought each other for control of the cities and populations, but joined together to fight the Taliban. People like Rashid Dostum and Muhammad Nur, who normally fought each other for largely tribal and economic/political reasons.

Anyways, some such Warlords were relatively benign, and actually cared about the people that lived in the areas they controlled (like Dostum, who kept schools open, wanted the females educated, and drank vodka), and others were more strict. 

So, assuming that's sort of what's happening now, who knows if the heroine pipeline will be affected? I think the Taliban kept it rolling to finance themselves, and I would assume most Warlords would too. 

I don't think there's really going to be "rulers" of Afghanistan, if the period between before the Soviet and US invasions is to be applied now. Just various groups of Warlords fighting each other for tribal reasons, doing their own things.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ChuteTheMall said:

Trump could have declared victory and marched home with a parade, but Biden can't manage anything more complicated than ice cream.

Come on, man. Biden is no more managing this clusterfuck than Rapinoe is making sandwiches.

• Like 3

Consider this…

Abandon the equipment in functional condition and…

1) United States will have to buy replacements.

2) United States will have to buy additional equipment to battle and possibly defeat what was left behind.

3) Other nations in the area will need to buy equipment to battle and possibly defeat what the Taliban now has.

4) Taliban will sell some of the abandoned equipment to nations not American friends.

For those in the MIC including retired American generals and politicians what’s not to like. 

• Like 2

I don't think they will leave much behind, let alone working arms.

You can't win this war. We will have to live with the international threat, or make a ******* parking lot out of that toilet. And if you go by that measure, you would have to do the same with parts of Pakistan, Iran, North Korea, Syria, more shitholes in the middle east, and for good measure, China.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, crockett said:

You can't win this war. We will have to live with the international threat, or make a ******* parking lot out of that toilet.

As long as the TSA keeps feeling my junk, up and down and side to side,  and inspects the band in my underwear,  I feel they can eternally protect us. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3