Injections in my back today

Got steroid injections in both SI joints today. They didn't inform me until last night that the plan was to put me under for this and I would need someone to drive me. I went in anyway and convinced the Dr. to proceed without knocking me out. I barely felt it. I'm feeling improvement already. Now I'm wondering who the whimps are that need to be put to sleep for this. "Here, let us shove this gigantic IV in your arm and pump you full of drugs so we can stick a little needle in you." Maybe it's just to give a larger bill to the customer.

• Like 4

I once got a cortisone shot in my lower spine.  But it was at a "teaching" hospital (Duke).  I wish I had been zapped-out.

They had an xray, or ultrasound, or whatever screen they were looking at:

"Over a little. Little more. In more. Did you feel that crunch? Yeah? That means too far. Back out.  Try again."

It took, like, 45 minutes.

(And then they said it would last several months.  I got about two days out of it.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Roughly every three months I get a steroid shot in each knee and one shoulder.  The first time my doctor gave me the first one I flinched. 

He quickly asked if I was uncomfortable.  I told him no and to continue, it was only "anticipation" of the shot, he did nothing wrong.

I react the same way with Dentists and Novicane shots, the anticipation is far worse than the shots themselves.  I try to produce no reaction at all.  I'm mostly successful!

• Like 2

First one I had they put me in "twilight".  After that they asked if I wanted to have anesthesia and I have declined.   I too go to a "teaching" hospital.  The DR. asks ahead if I want them or the Intern to do it.  My response is "if the intern doesn't learn how will they ever be a good DR., plus you are there watching and making sure itr is being done properly.  Biggest problem I have ever had it that a male intern who was 6ft about 210lbs put more pressure as he put the needle in thus making it a touch uncomfortable.

After the shots the Dr. asks for my opinion on how it went and uses constructive criticism to help the Intern learn.

18 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Got steroid injections in both SI joints today. They didn't inform me until last night that the plan was to put me under for this and I would need someone to drive me. I went in anyway and convinced the Dr. to proceed without knocking me out. I barely felt it. I'm feeling improvement already. Now I'm wondering who the whimps are that need to be put to sleep for this. "Here, let us shove this gigantic IV in your arm and pump you full of drugs so we can stick a little needle in you." Maybe it's just to give a larger bill to the customer.

Glad you had good luck! Now, just because it's feeling better, don't be a knucklehead and go hurt it again! Take it easy for a while! :)
Being a "tall" person, I have had my share of back problems. I'm a rather big, athletic, strong guy for 62 and can dig in the heat with kids 1/2 my age. However, severe back pain, especially spasmatic back pain, has turned my into a whimpering puddle, begging for anesthesia! Sounds like you had a really good surgeon. However, If he would have missed with that needle and hit a nerve, you'd have been on the ceiling.

Back pain is one of those **ouch** things that I listen to.  Again, glad you're doing better.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Had one in my shoulder years back.  Damn, I felt like I could walk on water!!  Lasted me about 3 months.  Funny though, the pain was never really that bad after that one shot so I just sorta lived with it.  When I retired, after a few months, I didn't have Any pain.  Cause my lazy ass wasn't doin hardly anything that strenuous I guess.

3 hours ago, inthefrey said:

Glad you had good luck! Now, just because it's feeling better, don't be a knucklehead and go hurt it again! Take it easy for a while! :)
Being a "tall" person, I have had my share of back problems. I'm a rather big, athletic, strong guy for 62 and can dig in the heat with kids 1/2 my age. However, severe back pain, especially spasmatic back pain, has turned my into a whimpering puddle, begging for anesthesia! Sounds like you had a really good surgeon. However, If he would have missed with that needle and hit a nerve, you'd have been on the ceiling.

Back pain is one of those **ouch** things that I listen to.  Again, glad you're doing better.

Oh I have plans. Archery for moose starts on the 22nd and rifle on the 1st of Sept. I have a couple legal bulls on my radar already.

• Like 1

I felt good enough to weld up a lumber rack for my grandsons pickup yesterday. All 1/4 material. Heavy. 2"x3" angle on the bed rails and across the front. A cab guard with expanded metal to protect the back window. 2x2 metal welded to pieces on 2 1/2" pipe for spacer above the bed rails. All stick welded. Heavy. 6 hours from start to finish. It could have gone quicker, but I sat back and let him learn to do some of the metal work with the chop saw and portaband. Laid out the cab guard, which is tapered to fit the cab rather than straight up, by snapping lines on the shop floor. And there he goes as I type driving by with it proudly sitting on the back of his Super Duty headed to a shift at the Fire Station where he hopes to have time to paint it today. I'm not hurting this morning.