Evening walk

norton

I was out for my evening walk a couple of nights ago.  2.5 miles.  I live in a small town and walk the same route every day.  Over the last few months I have seen a German Shepherd tied up on the front porch of a house and he runs the length of the chain and barks at me. Some days he is outside, some days nowhere to be seen.   That evening he wasn't on the chain.  At first I saw two little girls playing in the yard and then noticed the dog was loose.  He decided to come after me as I walked by in the street.  As he ran up to me I pointed at him and shouted, No! Down!  He retreated, but then came back a 2nd and 3rd time.   I know he wasn't coming up to greet me, and looked very aggressive as he ran toward me.  I was just glad I didn't have my back to him when he came up to me.  BTW, I was carrying, but never considered drawing.  If he had attacked my wife-I had asked if she wanted to walk with me but she declined that night- I might have stuck the pistol in his ear.  Come on people.  If you have aggressive dogs, you are responsible for them.  Several people in golf carts stopped in the street and asked if I wanted a ride to get away from the dog.  I finally gave in and rode with a guy I knew for a few blocks.  End of story.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

That's always a gut-wrenching decision to have to make when the dog's attacking you. Not so hard when it's attacking your wife or kid. Damn the man who puts you in that situation by not minding his dog. :(

Only time it happened to me i gave the dog a solid kick and it left.  

We continued to look for our suspect.

Hate it when this stuff happens.  We hardly deserve good dogs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Like many people on this forum, I am a huge dog lover. I have regretfully used my pistol on a dog before. It was a stray pit-bull that didn't leave me much of a choice at the time. It was either shoot the dog or allow it to keep chewing on innocent bystanders.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My greyhound is a very mellow and laid back dog. He likes everyone, other dogs and cats. One day we were walking through the woods when we were approached by a coyote. My dog went nuts, barking, growling and straining at the leash, trying to get at the coyote. The coyote immediately turned tail and ran off. I read later that greyhounds are used to keep coyotes away from livestock.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

Like many people on this forum, I am a huge dog lover. I have regretfully used my pistol on a dog before. It was a stray pit-bull that didn't leave me much of a choice at the time. It was either shoot the dog or allow it to keep chewing on innocent bystanders.

Not much you can do about that.    I had a guy on my shift....dog went to him instead of me...and he shot it.   It was not a good day.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

I hosed a vicious pitbull with my .357. Right in the noggin. Took the carcass to my gravel pit and fed it to the eagles rather than give the child molester owner the privilege of burying his piece of ****.

• Like 1

Years ago a 14 year old me had to walk to town if I wanted something.

One route I took through the neighborhood had a pitbull on a heavy chain that slept in the shade in the back yard. He would hear someone walking by and then run snarling and barking to the end of his chain, full speed, till the chain jerked his feet right out from under him. Then he would strain at the chain barking and snarling, just a foot or so short of the sidewalk.

I had walked to town to buy a new splitting maul handle, because I had missed a chunk of firewood and broken the last one. I randomly decided to take the route back past the pitbull. I didn't worry about him, he was on a chain, didn't even think about him that I recall, just picked that route because it had the most shade in the early afternoon.

I hear him wake up snarling and barking and then realize I don't hear the chain dragging. Brief moment of panic as I watched him running right at me with maybe a foot of chain connected to his collar. He lunged for me and without even thinking about it I brought that maul handle down right on top of his head. That good American Ash did it's job, the dog hit me and then slid past me, motionless, laying in the parking strip between the sidewalk and road. 

I was so amped on adrenaline I think I could have run the last mile home and set a record doing it. But I forced myself to pause a minute and look around. The street was deafeningly quiet. I put the maul handle back down at my side and walked home.

When I was fitting it for the maul head I found hair stuck in the wood. I was sure I was going to be in huge trouble. I wanted to tell my parents, but didn't, mom loved dogs and I wasn't sure she would like that I'd killed one.

A couple weeks later I'd fixed my bicycle and got up the courage to ride it into town. I went down that same road, pretty fast. To my surprise and relief the pitbull was back on a chain and came running around the house barking and snarling his fool head off. I never walked that way again.

• Like 2

On 8/9/2021 at 2:33 PM, norton said:

I was out for my evening walk a couple of nights ago.  2.5 miles.  I live in a small town and walk the same route every day.  Over the last few months I have seen a German Shepherd tied up on the front porch of a house and he runs the length of the chain and barks at me. Some days he is outside, some days nowhere to be seen.   That evening he wasn't on the chain.  At first I saw two little girls playing in the yard and then noticed the dog was loose.  He decided to come after me as I walked by in the street.  As he ran up to me I pointed at him and shouted, No! Down!  He retreated, but then came back a 2nd and 3rd time.   I know he wasn't coming up to greet me, and looked very aggressive as he ran toward me.  I was just glad I didn't have my back to him when he came up to me.  BTW, I was carrying, but never considered drawing.  If he had attacked my wife-I had asked if she wanted to walk with me but she declined that night- I might have stuck the pistol in his ear.  Come on people.  If you have aggressive dogs, you are responsible for them.  Several people in golf carts stopped in the street and asked if I wanted a ride to get away from the dog.  I finally gave in and rode with a guy I knew for a few blocks.  End of story.  

I make sure my dog doesn't threaten anyone and I damn well will not tolerate a threat from someone else's.  I love animals, but I will not be a chew toy for anything!

One day years ago, I walked back from my mailbox, and the neighbor's dog growled and started to slowly come from it's yard into the street towards my back,  with it's teeth bared.

I turned around in the middle of the street and walked towards the dog.  I figured it's him or me!  I don't like to be "threatened". 

As I got closer to the dog it started to crouch and then the neighbor ran out of the house to their dog and tried to pick it up.

I just looked at them and turned around to go home.  I will not be a victim!

• Like 1

I have found the Dog Dazzer II ultrasonic dog deterrent to be very effective.

Groups of three or more dogs seem to be harder to get through to, they try harder to power through it, but so far they have always turned.

I've been attacked by dogs a few times, starting when I was four, then a couple times since, have the scars, I don't intend to ever get another one.  99% of dogs are fine, I love them and they to like me. I don't want to hurt one, hence the Dog Dazzer, it gets them to turn away for a little discomfort, saves any actual injuries.

As a society we seem to have forgotten that they are animals. We don't require them to behave in an acceptable manner, same for children, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

I have met people who valued dogs more than humans and human life, which is a mental disorder. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I have the .357 version. It works on groups of 6 if necessary. 

I'm pretty sure the G21 will make sure the same dog never attacks again, but it's kind of frowned upon to use that in the city.

So many dogs come running out at you and barking, they don't really intend to attack, they should be controlled but the owners either pretend it isn't a problem or think it ok for some reason. Those dogs get an earful and most of the time the owner, if they are around, don't even seem to notice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I use to have to walk into back yards, to climb poles and cut peoples power off.  I friggin HATED those calls. 

I won't even go into the "stories" I could tell that would just make ya cry.  I sure did. 

BUT...Met a Lot of Critters, and even had people turn their dogs loose on me to stop me from gettin to the pole to cut off their power. 

I'll tell ya from experience, a good Punch in the face. will usually deter most dogs. Otherwise... 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, norton said:

I might look into some bear spray.  

Crazy Dave was bitching about his mixed breed pitbull mutt coming into his shack with bear spray all over it. He had to put the dog back outside so he and his toothless old lady could breathe again. BTW the mutts name is "BEAR." So when the dog charges out on attack mode, if Crazy Dave or his old bag are outside, they start yelling, "BEAR, BEAR." Anyone that names a dog Bear in Alaska is a real dumbass. I have run into boneheads like that out hiking. Here you are out in the bush and some ******* starts yelling "BEAR" when their dog wanders off.

• Haha 3

People don't care. We had a couple in the house next door that had a couple of mutts. One was fine, the other was a pain, but worse, when the pain started in the other followed. After hemming LostWife and our grand daughter in the garage one night, I spoke with the guy. He said they never bothered them.

OK fair enough. If it happens again, I'll leave them both on your porch dead. The dogs amazingly stayed inside the fence from then on. I kinda likes the kid, but that was pretty lame. Happily the new folks, been there a few years now, have great dogs that like us a lot. It wouldn't matter though they have a very firm grip on those animals, leash or not.

• Like 2

In rural areas some people migrate from cities and figure they can just let their dogs run loose. Wrong on several levels. Some states, including Tennessee, have state wide leash laws. Dogs running loose like to “pack up” then go after livestock or people or controlled pets. Dog, Fox, Coyote - caught killing farmer’s livestock only one solution. Also, dogs dashing in front of moving vehicles are as much at risk as deer. 

54 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

In rural areas some people migrate from cities and figure they can just let their dogs run loose. Wrong on several levels. Some states, including Tennessee, have state wide leash laws. Dogs running loose like to “pack up” then go after livestock or people or controlled pets. Dog, Fox, Coyote - caught killing farmer’s livestock only one solution. Also, dogs dashing in front of moving vehicles are as much at risk as deer. 

I have laid into packs of dogs in the past. The Winchester pump .22 is fast enough to get quite a lot of them, as is the H&R model 700 .22 magnum semi auto.