What are these badges on everyone’s avatar.

NPTim

• Administrators

It’s a feature of the software that I turned off when I was installing the upgrade last month. It assigns an icon based on number of posts, or reputation or something. It doesn’t eat anything, so I thought I’d turn it on. 

• Thanks 1

It is a psychological tool to get folks to participate more. All human beings subconsciously seek validation. The "like" button, the badges, all part of subliminal gratification designed to get folks to participate more. Participate more and the website "business" grows. More sponsors will jump onboard, based on site visits, and The BGH can pass those benefits ( prizes, giveaways, contests, etc ) folks tell other folks about www.theboresite.com and things start evolving...

Then, at some point in the not too distant future, this website can compete with "the other place".

Recent events respective, I think it's on an upward trend .. ..

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, inthefrey said:

It is a psychological tool to get folks to participate more. All human beings subconsciously seek validation. The "like" button, the badges, all part of subliminal gratification designed to get folks to participate more. Participate more and the website "business" grows. More sponsors will jump onboard, based on site visits, and The BGH can pass those benefits ( prizes, giveaways, contests, etc ) folks tell other folks about www.theboresite.com and things start evolving...

Then, at some point in the not too distant future, this website can compete with "the other place".

Recent events respective, I think it's on an upward trend .. ..

I'm having a cocaine button installed next week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

And...Your purpose for turning THAT feature on...was what Eric?

Because it is there and I paid for it. What does it matter? Good grief. It is a part of a system intended to increase member participation on the site. I'm trying to increase member participation on the site. There was no ulterior motive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Eric said:

Because it is there and I paid for it. What does it matter? Good grief. It is a part of a system intended to increase member participation on the site. I'm trying to increase member participation on the site. There was no ulterior motive.

Cool.

How do we know, really, that those badges aren't taking pictures of us sitting at our computers? Oh sure, a lot of people will tell us that they're not, or that it's unpossible for them to, but really, isn't that just another appeal to authority? Just like with the moon-phase carburetor and the toilet-roll oil filter, it's always important to follow the money...  

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Just like with the moon-phase carburetor and the toilet-roll oil filter, it's always important to follow the money...  

I was sure it was the muffler belt or the radiator fuse. Maybe the blinker fluid? Got me on this one...

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Gunboat1 said:

Personally,  I like it.  I just wish I knew what the color codes are.

If you are on a computer, hold your cursor over them and you will get more info. If you are on a mobile device, you do do the same thing by clicking on them.

• Thanks 1