Schmidt Meister's Grab Bag

Schmidt Meister

R.I.P. I just found out. No one has ever replicated the music of the '70's/'80's and they never will. Seals & Croft, no tricks, no fake frills, just smooth, mellow music.

Jim Seals died at home in Nashville on Monday, said his wife Ruby Jean Seals.

The cause was an unspecified "chronic ongoing illness", she added.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Back Woods Math Exam:

If your uncle builds a still which operates at a capacity of 20 gallons of shine produced per hour, how many car radiators are required to condense the product?

A woodcutter has a chainsaw which operates at 2700 RPM. The density of the pine trees in the plot to be harvested is 470 per acre. The plot is 2.3 acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14 inches. How many Budweiser’s will be drunk before the trees are cut down?

A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pines on 24-inch centers with a field rock foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16 feet. The porch floor is 1-inch rough sawn pine. If the porch should collapse, how many dogs will be killed?

A man owns a house in Georgia and 3.7 acres of land in a hollow with an average slope of 15%. The man has five children. How many of his grown children can place a mobile home on the man's land and still have enough property for two broken down vehicles per child to sit out front?

A 2-ton truck is overloaded and proceeding 900 yards down a steep slope on a secondary road in Kentucky at 45 MPH. The brakes fail. Given average traffic conditions on secondary roads, what is the probability that it will strike a vehicle with a muffler?

With a gene pool reduction of 7.5% per generation, how long will it take a town which has been bypassed by the Interstate to breed a country-western singer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Back Woods Math Exam:

If your uncle builds a still which operates at a capacity of 20 gallons of shine produced per hour, how many car radiators are required to condense the product?

A woodcutter has a chainsaw which operates at 2700 RPM. The density of the pine trees in the plot to be harvested is 470 per acre. The plot is 2.3 acres in size. The average tree diameter is 14 inches. How many Budweiser’s will be drunk before the trees are cut down?

A front porch is constructed of 2x8 pines on 24-inch centers with a field rock foundation. The span is 8 feet and the porch length is 16 feet. The porch floor is 1-inch rough sawn pine. If the porch should collapse, how many dogs will be killed?

A man owns a house in Georgia and 3.7 acres of land in a hollow with an average slope of 15%. The man has five children. How many of his grown children can place a mobile home on the man's land and still have enough property for two broken down vehicles per child to sit out front?

A 2-ton truck is overloaded and proceeding 900 yards down a steep slope on a secondary road in Kentucky at 45 MPH. The brakes fail. Given average traffic conditions on secondary roads, what is the probability that it will strike a vehicle with a muffler?

With a gene pool reduction of 7.5% per generation, how long will it take a town which has been bypassed by the Interstate to breed a country-western singer?

1) foreign or domestic?

2) all of them.  Chainsaws won't engage the centrifugal clutch at those RPMs

3)depends, what kinds of dogs?

4)do they have to be on the ground or can you stack them?  Also, are they american made cars, or can you toss in a few foreign ones?  

5)None if they manage to get out of his way.

6)depends on your definition of "singer" but 100%

• Haha 2

The Major Founding Documents of the United States of America, are typically considered to be The U.S. Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and the Articles of Confederation and I also include the Bill of Rights, but because they are amendments to the Constitution, sometimes they are considered a part of the Constitution, along with the other amendments.
Here are two excellent links to use if you want to research any of the founding documents.

Milestone Documents - National Archives

https://www.archives.gov/milestone-documents/list

Federalist Papers - Library Of Congress

https://guides.loc.gov/federalist-papers/full-text#:~:text=The%20Federalist%2C%20commonly%20referred%20to%20as%20the%20Federalist,various%20New%20York%20state%20newspapers%20of%20the%20time.

• Thanks 2

My wife and I passed by this huge sandstone squareish rock and as we passed by, we saw the opening at the bottom and we both wondered if it was being used for anything. We joked about finding our own rock and digging out a house when we retire. Here's the story about the rock we saw on that trip.
Church Rock is a solitary column of sandstone in southern Utah along the eastern side of U.S. Route 191, near the entrance to the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park and Monticello.
In the same area with the majestic Colorado and Green River canyons and Canyonlands.
One of the interesting pages of 1930s myths tells about Church Rock, and how the gumdrop shaped rock earned its name. The story is that Marie Ogden's Home of the Truth, an Utopian community, was erroneously responsible. Ogden was a spiritualist during the 1920s, giving lectures across the U.S. on spiritualism, until she came to San Juan County, Utah. She allegedly called San Juan County and Church Rock "the spiritual center of the universe." With a small band of followers, Ogden's group moved onto a tract of barren land along Utah's Route 211 in 1933, calling it the "Home of Truth." Members turned over all their worldly goods to Ogden to join her Home of Truth, abiding by a strict code of conduct, and were expected to work for the common goals of the settlement. Women tended to the domestic chores and men worked the arid farm acreage. Not far from Church Rock are the remains of Ogden's ghost town. A few buildings and a small cemetery are all that remain of the Home of the Truth community, found on a ridge called Photograph Gap. After the community broke up, Ogden stayed in Monticello and became the owner and publisher of the community newspaper, The San Juan Record, in the 1940s. She died in the 1975 and is buried in Blanding.
The three-tiered sandstone rock is located not far from the Home of Truth. Part of the myth is that the group set upon a grand plan to hollow out the entire center of the sandstone monument, by hand, to build a church. In fact, the sandstone formation was owned by a local rancher, Claud Young of Monticello. Young owned about 2000 acres of land, for cattle range, before the highway came through the area known as Dry Valley.
The only evidence of the myth, and the apparent basis for the assumption of turning the rock into a 'church,' is the 16 by 24 foot opening chiseled into the rock. In fact, that 'opening' was contracted out by the owner, Claud Young. The opening was done through the of use of dynamite and cut out of the stone during the late 1940s to store salt licks and feed for the cattle. The rock is still owned by the Young family.

Church Rock - UT - La Sal Mts. In Background.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Goetze's also makes these things which are equally addicting. They have 4 or 5 flavors, the original caramel and chocolate are the only ones I enjoy.

Cow Tales - Caramel - 1984 - Goetze's Candy - Baltimore, MD.jpg

Cow Tales - Chocolate - 1984 - Goetze's Candy - Baltimore, MD.jpg

?? Never seen these anywhere ?? (In S FL)

45 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Tractor Supply carries some old style candy. Used to buy lemon drops there, but lately haven’t been able to.

Found them on Amazon after trying to shop local. 

Tractor Supply is the only place I know to find the old fashioned soft peppermint candies in a large bag. I usually buy two bags at a time. I keep them on my desk, I love them.

• Like 3