Schmidt Meister's Grab Bag

Schmidt Meister

8 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

How many of you remember these balsa wood gliders? We killed quite a few of them in my youth.

Balsawood Glider Toy .jpg

So many planes - So much fun!  However, that one is the second iteration.  The original ones had a round nose and no weight up front clipped to it.

Similar to this one:  Most Efficient Balsa Wood Glider Designs

• Like 3

Read about Martin Ehrengraf, a character  in several Lawrence Block short stories.

Ehrengraf always makes sure that his clients are found not guilty, even if they are guilty and he has to arrange their acquittal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

That is technically a correct statement.

“Just because you didn’t do it doesn’t mean you are innocent.”

Guilt and innocence are court findings. 

When I worked in a state prison I met a guy who was railroaded in divorce court. He was found guilty of domestic psychological violence. He never hit his wife but she claimed she was mentally shattered because she thought he was going to. He was guilty of not hitting her. Turned out her attorney wanted to use a loophole in the law to get her EVERYTHING in the divorce.

It took over a year before he was exonerated and the loophole in the law that put him away was eliminated.

I also met guys who raped little kids and got a slap on the wrist because of the way the courts define guilt and innocence and the massive area in between. 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Southern - BBQ Vs Grilling  copy.png

Yesterday I taught a bread baking class to a church young mens group. About a dozen boys and their leaders. I talked about why guys should know how to bake and cook. Not just burn random meat on a grill. This devolved into a brief discussion on grilling and barbecue.

I knew I had lost them when even the adults didn’t understand the difference. To them any meat burned on a propane grill with Kraft BBQ sauce is Barbecue.

• Haha 3