Schmidt Meister's Grab Bag

Schmidt Meister

On 12/12/2021 at 4:48 PM, Schmidt Meister said:

Can you find the snake? Once you find it, you can't help seeing it. And since I posted a lot of them in a prior post, that log is covered in turkey tail mushrooms/fungus. They're all over Florida. The snakes are too.

Snake - Copperhead - Can You Find It.jpg

That and water moccasins; 12 gauge, 1 ounce load of #8 shot works really well.  Or machete, ax, shovel……

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 21 shooter said:

That and water moccasins; 12 gauge, 1 ounce load of #8 shot works really well.  Or machete, ax, shovel……

I'm one of those freaks who won't kill 'em unless they're a threat to me or other people, pets and such. But I do know people that say they kill every one they see ... I'll never understand that and I tell 'em that. I try to tell people the good vs. the bad. Just about a month ago, I was driving down one of the hundreds of asphalt backroads in rural N. Florida and I saw the car ahead of me hit the brakes and then start to back up on the road until they saw me approaching behind them. They backed off the road and I saw what had attracted their attention. It was a 5 ft.~ rattlesnake starting to cross the road. They wanted to run over it and kill it ... out in the middle of nowhere, where it couldn't bother anybody. Once they told me they were going to run over it and kill, I just pulled my truck up and covered him while he crawled across the road. The people cussed me a little and went on. Almost every creature on this Earth has a purpose .... except them damn mosquitoes ... you can kill all of 'em you can kill, no limit on those b@st@rds.

• Like 4

On 12/14/2021 at 8:23 AM, 21 shooter said:

Shovel works best, allows decapitation from beyond striking range, and doesn't freak the neighbors because it's not usually considered a weapon.

And it's handy if you'd rather feed the worms than the vultures.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

I'm one of those freaks who won't kill 'em unless they're a threat to me or other people, pets and such. But I do know people that say they kill every one they see ... I'll never understand that and I tell 'em that. 

I agree,  but my first dog (in FL) survived a painful bite from a pygmy rattler right outside the kitchen door, and then became an angry snake killer for life.

He went berserk when he later cornered a garter snake against a brick wall, and there was nothing I could do. He believed all snakes should be killed on sight.

I liked snakes and kept some as pets, before my dog got bit and before my mom found an escapee on a bookshelf. :Alex:

My second dog (in VA) was introduced to a friend's large pet boa and never developed any interest in snakes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChuteTheMall said:

I agree,  but my first dog (in FL) survived a painful bite from a pygmy rattler right outside the kitchen door, and then became an angry snake killer for life.

He went berserk when he later cornered a garter snake against a brick wall, and there was nothing I could do. He believed all snakes should be killed on sight.

I liked snakes and kept some as pets, before my dog got bit and before my mom found an escapee on a bookshelf. :Alex:

My second dog (in VA) was introduced to a friend's large pet boa and never developed any interest in snakes.

Most dogs seem to have a natural anti-snake nature but mostly they just give 'em their space. I've had dogs that just seem to have an awareness about when a snake is near. Your dog seems to have developed a serious vendetta, lol.

We've had cats that just couldn't say no to a snake fight. We lost one to a pygmy rattler bite but he could at least claim that he took the snake out too. He had been an awesome cat and we both cried after that. R.I.P. Dukey.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, 21 shooter said:

I tolerate most of them as long as they don’t get close to the house.  Moccasins are the worst, they just have a bad attitude.  Maybe they are the democrat version of a reptile.  :o  Skeeters are surely sent from Hades!

Moccasins do seem do be born with a seriously f'ed up attitude. They're the one venomous one that I am most wary about because they will hit without any kind of provocation.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

Snakes, for me Copperheads have also seemed the meanest. I have been near Mocs and Ratter Tails and not felt as in danger as I do by Coppers.

I have been chased by Copperheads, especially in fall while out walking creek banks fishing.

If I don’t have a long gun, I carry a wheel gun with rat shot.   As I’ve gotten older, the snakes seem to have gotten faster, as in I can’t run fast enough anymore.  And I have seen some really fat copperheads in excess of 3 feet long.  If I can go around them I do, as I figure they are decimating the rat population.  

Many years ago some small copperheads were flushed out of a field near a neighborhood I lived in.  I tagged one while I was mowing the yard and finished him and another one off with 357 ratshot.  My neighbor was laughing about me being scared of a snake barely a foot long until we saw one going under the door to his crawl space.  I seem to remember getting a carton of longnecks for the use of my revolver.  :anim_rofl2:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Moccasins do seem do be born with a seriously f'ed up attitude. They're the one venomous one that I am most wary about because they will hit without any kind of provocation.

I watched a backhoe cleaning out around a pond and he brought the bucket out with a copperhead hanging on to it.  Did this twice before the operator got tired of him.  Also a water moccasin that was a conservative 6 feet long did the same thing.  I had always been told a snake couldn’t bite underwater.  I guess those 2 didn’t get the memo.   
I have noticed that a pond with a lot of bass, especially larger ones, don’t have near as many snakes.  Bass will hit and eat about anything. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 21 shooter said:

If I don’t have a long gun, I carry a wheel gun with rat shot.   As I’ve gotten older, the snakes seem to have gotten faster, as in I can’t run fast enough anymore.  And I have seen some really fat copperheads in excess of 3 feet long.  If I can go around them I do, as I figure they are decimating the rat population.  

Many years ago some small copperheads were flushed out of a field near a neighborhood I lived in.  I tagged one while I was mowing the yard and finished him and another one off with 357 ratshot.  My neighbor was laughing about me being scared of a snake barely a foot long until we saw one going under the door to his crawl space.  I seem to remember getting a carton of longnecks for the use of my revolver.  :anim_rofl2:

LOL. I've never been chased by any kind of snake other than a coachwhip. They are terribly aggressive for a non-venomous snake. But they will definitely chase your azz. 

Yeah, when they start coming up in the house, they have to be reckoned with.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 21 shooter said:

I watched a backhoe cleaning out around a pond and he brought the bucket out with a copperhead hanging on to it.  Did this twice before the operator got tired of him.  Also a water moccasin that was a conservative 6 feet long did the same thing.  I had always been told a snake couldn’t bite underwater.  I guess those 2 didn’t get the memo.   
I have noticed that a pond with a lot of bass, especially larger ones, don’t have near as many snakes.  Bass will hit and eat about anything. 

Moccasins take fish under the water all the time. Bass also take smaller moccasins under and on top of the water on a regular basis. I have a FWC friend who has seen it on multiple occasions.

• Like 2

Mike Rowe Details Real Meaning Of ‘Clever’ ‘Let’s Go Brandon’ Chant

Beloved host and advocate for blue-collar workers Mike Rowe explained the real meaning behind the highly-popularized, “clever,” and “hysterical” “Let’s Go Brandon” chat.

Rowe explained how the anti-Biden/media chant came about at a NASCAR event, and elaborated on how it’s a refutation of not only the president, but of the media and the Left’s effort to change the meaning of language.

“The times that we’re living in right now are forcing lots of people on both sides of the aisle to look at a thing, or hear a thing, and be told that what they’re seeing and what they’re hearing is not real,” Rowe said. “And you can’t do that to people indefinitely and expect them not to push back somehow. You can’t tell people that the border is secure and then show them images of tens of thousands of people flooding over it. You can’t tell people that the evacuation of Afghanistan was a success and then show them people falling off of a plane. … And you can’t ask people who are watching a NASCAR race at home, who clearly hear the crowd yelling ‘F*** Joe Biden’ to pretend that what they’re really hearing is ‘Let’s Go Brandon.’”

“I think what’s happened is people have just become sick and tired of being told that what they’re seeing and what they’re hearing is not what they’re seeing and hearing,” emphasized Rowe.

“And this is the perfect trope,” he continued. “I don’t think people who yell it are necessarily enemies of the president. I think they’re enemies of being told that what they’re seeing and what they’re hearing isn’t real, that it’s somehow a figment of their imagination. People are sick of that.”

“It’s hysterical, because we’re doubling-down on the lie,” the “Dirty Jobs” host said.

Rowe went on to detail the recent manipulation language and “tricky” words, like how being “anti-vax” now includes people who oppose vaccine mandates, or how only some people are deemed to have “essential” work, and only some education is “higher” than other education or work apprenticeships.

“So ‘essential’ is a tricky word, ‘higher’ is a tricky word, ‘infrastructure’ is a tricky word,” Rowe said. “I used to know what it meant, and then the infrastructure bill came along. … How can you debate an ‘infrastructure’ bill when, at the same time, people are telling you that, no, no, infrastructure is not limited to bridges and roads and the electric grid, it’s not limited to runways and plumbing, it also includes free college, it includes free health care, it includes reparations for slavery.”

“Look, we can talk about any of those things, that’s all fine, but if you’re now telling me that we have to do it in the context of infrastructure, I’m going to say ‘Let’s Go Brandon,’ because that’s crazy … you can’t just refine a word.”

https://www.dailywire.com/news/mike-rowe-details-real-meaning-of-clever-lets-go-brandon-chant-admits-what-makes-him-want-to-say-it

• Thanks 2

On 12/15/2021 at 7:23 PM, 21 shooter said:

When my Dad was Stationed in NY, we had a nice woods behind our house.  I was in 6th grade and me and the boys use to screw around all the time in there.  One day we found about 8-10 cute little snakes under a rock.  We put em a shoe box and proudly took em home to show Dad.   I opened that box and my Dad turned WHITE, and very carefully put the lid back on the box.  He asked "did anyone get Bit???  Show me your hands."  We we were all Ok.  You guessed it.  Baby Copperheads...which are supposedly twice as venomous a an adult.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1