Apple Will Scan All iPhones for Illegal Child Abuse Images, Sparking Privacy Debate

pipedreams

Now what could possibly go wrong with that?

"Apple announced Thursday is it planning to scan all iPhones in the United States for child abuse imagery, raising alarm among security experts who said the plan could allow the firm to surveil tens of millions of personal devices for unrelated reasons.

Apple, which has often touted itself as a company that promises to safeguard users’ right to privacy, appeared to try and preempt privacy concerns by saying that the software will enhance those protections by avoiding the need to carry out widespread image scanning on its cloud servers."

https://www.theepochtimes.com/mkt_morningbrief/apple-will-scan-all-iphones-for-illegal-child-abuse-images-sparking-privacy-debate_3935633.html?utm_source=Morningbrief&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mb-2021-08-06&mktids=8b4348d96e6dd3016a2331c109d3dd48&est=4lAjieyKC3rnAL0%2BUAUiiwdqbe7TiNCP0mG79wcXonalsBVxzWofvoKUY4RXmSLWtwxCpQ%3D%3D

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Historian said:

Who defines abuse?  I know my state statutes very well.

But let's just say...you have a picture of Little Historian at the gun range...is that abuse?  

Good example of that is the young boy taking online classes and there was a BB gun on the wall behind him.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

Good example of that is the young boy take online classes and there was a BB gun on the wall behind him.

That did happen.

But this also makes me think:  What other crimes are the Apple experts looking for?

Let's just say some dude likes to tie his wife up and get freaky...he snaps a few mementos of the event....and someone now sends the cops by because it's looks like a rape?   

It might be something legal they are into.  People is freaky.

• Like 2

My wife does hour long Skype thing  every week and she is very careful about the background.  This past week I came inside during this and as I passed through the hallway someone on the other end said is that your husband. I couldn't been on camera more than a second in the corner of the screen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

My wife does hour long Skype thing  every week and she is very careful about the background.  This past week I came inside during this and as I passed through the hallway someone on the other end said is that your husband. I couldn't been on camera more than a second in the corner of the screen.

We Skype all the time for work.    Same general concerns.     

We learned from Edward Snowden, and past experience, that there is usually more going on than is publicly known. I have already decided to treat my smart phone like it is a tracking and spy device. If for some unknown reason I ever decide that I actually don't want to be tracked, step one will be to ditch my smart phone. 

Edited to add: My brother in law likes to track my niece (his daughter) VERY closely using her I-phone. He tracks her every daily movement, whether or not she made it to class on time, spent enough time studying in the library, etc....She is an adult in med school....

I jokingly suggested to her that she needs to send here father a cryptic message for help, and then send her phone via FedEx to Mexico City.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, kerbie18 said:

We learned from Edward Snowden, and past experience, that there is usually more going on than is publicly known. I have already decided to treat my smart phone like it is a tracking and spy device. If for some unknown reason I ever decide that I actually don't want to be tracked, step one will be to ditch my smart phone. 

I agree and it's really sad when ordinary citizens going about their daily life start expressing these concerns.  For convenience at one time I had a list of my firearms and serial numbers as well as copies of other important documents on my smart phone.   Those have all been removed quite some time ago. 

• Like 2

1. Don't use their cloud service, ever. Disable it. Your data belongs on your phone and your computer, not on their servers.

2. Don't buy Apple products. Samsung and Android is better, for now.

3. Never update your phones.

4. Keep old phones and don't update them.

5. When you don't need them, turn them off and keep them inside a phone box that blocks all signals.

• Like 3

I have an RFID bag that was used in a class....cell phone sometimes goes in this thing....not able to get a signal it drops off the phone network and I am free.

Open the bag take the phone out and turn it on....poof...back on the grid.

You get these off Amazon.

• Like 2

Someone mentioned RFID bags, also if you travel especially to foreign countries it's not a bad idea to get a data blocker for charging your phone or other devices.  There quite simple to make if your handy.  The USB connector you plug into a computer or charging station only connects to the power since the data leads or connector are removed.  Also allows you to charge your device at the work place if they have a IT policy against it.

3 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

Apple probably has something in their terms of service that nobody bothers to read that gives permission for this type of privacy invasion.  If not they probably will soon.

"You have to agree to it in order to know what's in it"

All of them do. Even if they didn't, have you ever read the Terms of Service on every app you load? How about all the preloaded that you can't uninstall? Why does a service app that does nothing with a microphone, camera, contacts, phone logs, location, and other things need access to those? Some won't work at all without some or all of those permissions. All the better to follow you and everyone you know with, My Pretty.

Apple tried to get a advertising op with the California shooters a few years ago. That backfired. I don't know who broke their security, but they did it in a hurry, and now Apple doesn't own or control that information, unless they purchased the rights from who ever it was that cracked them in what seemed to be short order. Even at that, they don't own the knowledge, so if the situation ever comes up again, they are hosed.

28 minutes ago, DAKA said:

IF THE US .GOV MANDATED THAT EACH OF US CARRY A DEVICE THAT IS "TRACKABLE"  and can be HACKED at any time ...WOULD WE DO IT?

You know that crowd that says"Well, if I'm not doing anything illegal, then I have nothing to hide, and if you won't, then obviously you are doing something illegal and we should definitely be tracking YOU!"  just loves that idea...

https://arkadiyt.com/2021/07/25/scanning-your-iphone-for-nso-group-pegasus-malware/  Hell if i know if the link works dont know if i pasted it correctly dont even know if what they say works. I disable location service dont use the cloud disable find my phone crap. When i went to canada att sent me a text about half a mile from the border that said we see your entering a different country would you like to sign up so plan blah blah. I was surprised they knew that so quickly. I know they are tracking us. I bet whoever reads my texts between me and my friends probably think we are sickos and freaks.