gwalchmai

5 minutes ago, MO Fugga said:

Enforcement of unsustainable bullshit at gunpoint. Hopefully technology evolves, and makes it possible without major price increases or outright robbery, as in taxes. I believe easily biodegradable plastics are totally possible and will be the norm, we're just not there yet. 

True solution would be walking away from our stupid throw-away-society.

In a perfect world we would bring reusable containers to the supermarket, fill them up, pay, bring home, consume, clean container, repeat.

Same with  those stupid one-time-use plastic shopping bags. Why not bring your own bags or a foldable crate?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, crockett said:

In a perfect world we would bring reusable containers to the supermarket, fill them up, pay, bring home, consume, clean container, repeat.

Same with  those stupid one-time-use plastic shopping bags. Why not bring your own bags or a foldable crate?

Those were supposedly banned in 2020. 

I agree with you about the throwaway culture. It's abbhorant. Between raising kids (who know to pick up wheel weights for dad) and being a tightwad contractor, I see wasted resources everywhere and try my best to fight it. It's a bitch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crockett said:

Middle America will not comply. No one else will either, except for the fringe folk, obviously. Unless of course it's at gunpoint, and here we are, watching it unfold.

Edited by MO Fugga

5 minutes ago, MO Fugga said:

Middle America will not comply. No one else will either, except for the fringe folk, obviously. Unless of course it's at gunpoint, and here we are, watching it unfold.

However, I will admit I saw a guy roll his own cart into DG this afternoon. In a one horse town. Where ZZ Top will be playing Friday. Without Dusty.

I **** you not.

I was at the city dump getting rid of some heavy items last year when I moved.  I saw truck after truck come and dump the special recycling materials right into the same hole I was using without even looking.  I asked the attendant and he just laughed.

Ever since then I use my recycling can as a 2nd trash can, just like the city does.  I bet they get federal funds for being green though.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, crockett said:

I love the shopping bags I made out of old animal feed bags (that would have just gone in the trash otherwise)... the oldest ones have lasted a decade so far.  It annoyed the heck out of me when the grocery stores here all banned people from bringing in their own bags because 'OMG THE 'RONA, we'll all get the 'RONA from your reusable bags!'  I still get their plastic shopping bags on some trips, though - at the stores where they don't rip before you even get to the car  (looking at you, Meijer!)- because I actually do re-use them around here to line the trash baskets, but then they do go to the trash, (whatever I use for that job is going in the trash.  If I didn't use those, I'd have to buy trash bags especially for that job.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I love the shopping bags I made out of old animal feed bags (that would have just gone in the trash otherwise)... the oldest ones have lasted a decade so far.  It annoyed the heck out of me when the grocery stores here all banned people from bringing in their own bags because 'OMG THE 'RONA, we'll all get the 'RONA from your reusable bags!'  I still get their plastic shopping bags on some trips, though - at the stores where they don't rip before you even get to the car  (looking at you, Meijer!)- because I actually do re-use them around here to line the trash baskets, but then they do go to the trash, (whatever I use for that job is going in the trash.  If I didn't use those, I'd have to buy trash bags especially for that job.  

I always bag my own groceries. For the most part the baggers know the drill and walk away when they see me lol

I don't want THEM spreading any viruses or bacteria onto my food that I may consume the same day. They touch items that have been handled by a 100 customers before they get to wash their hands. If ANY of those customers has the cold or flu, chances are they smeared bacteria or viruses onto the products they placed into their shopping carts. The baggers can easily pick the germs up and smear them onto my groceries soon after. Its already bad enough that the cashier is handling the same amount of product, I don't need 2 fools doubling the risk.

My local Publix supermarket, COSTCO and Home Depot installed self-checkout registers in the past year. Love it. None of the cashiers or baggers touch my groceries anymore.

Only the cashiers at Home Depot try to talk me into checking me out all the time, its super annoying because they don't let it be with just one question. Last time I told that idiot to leave me alone. I have zero interest in any help, or being forced into some bullshit small talk.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, crockett said:

Since the COVID some stores no longer allow reusable bags to be brought in. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, crockett said:

Call around and ask where your recycled materials go. I highly doubt that it goes straight to the landfill.

Hey, Charlie Rockett, looking back on this thread I think I was unnecessarily assholy to you about stuff that don't matter. Sometimes I get caught up on a roll and forget who I am. I'm sorry and I'll try not to do that again (who am I kiddin'? Skinks don't change stripes :greensupergrin: )

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

Hey, Charlie Rockett, looking back on this thread I think I was unnecessarily assholy to you about stuff that don't matter. Sometimes I get caught up on a roll and forget who I am. I'm sorry and I'll try not to do that again (who am I kiddin'? Skinks don't change stripes :greensupergrin: )

lol

No need to apologize. ******* is my middle name. Well, I don't have a filter, so I was told...

Whatever I say, is simply my opinion.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, crockett said:

That started to be somewhat popular till the virus thing started.  Stores banned them because some people brought in some real grubby looking bags. Looking back I see someone else mention the ban. 

I don't recycle.

I don't make much trash at home. Jobsites are a different animal, if it pays it gets recycled, if not it doesn't. Plain and simple math.

Recent example was a whole bunch of AC units removed from a renovation project. The state required them to be evacuated and then to recycle them there was a surcharge, but you can dump them in the landfill for the ton price, so they got dumped.

I realized that a 7 minute haul to another state and they paid us scrap value at the metal recyclers, and they did the evacuation to boot. Second, third and forth batches went there. Several hundred dollars per load paid to us, plus no dumping fee was a net of $1700 per load. 

But, if we hadn't been near the other state, because of stupid laws, they would have all gone in the landfill.

4 minutes ago, Fog said:

I don't recycle.

I don't make much trash at home. Jobsites are a different animal, if it pays it gets recycled, if not it doesn't. Plain and simple math.

Recent example was a whole bunch of AC units removed from a renovation project. The state required them to be evacuated and then to recycle them there was a surcharge, but you can dump them in the landfill for the ton price, so they got dumped.

I realized that a 7 minute haul to another state and they paid us scrap value at the metal recyclers, and they did the evacuation to boot. Second, third and forth batches went there. Several hundred dollars per load paid to us, plus no dumping fee was a net of $1700 per load. 

But, if we hadn't been near the other state, because of stupid laws, they would have all gone in the landfill.

Given prices now asked for classic refrigerant - Freon - evacuating the units and cleaning the Freon could have been a nice deal for the salvage yard. 

Just now, railfancwb said:

Given prices now asked for classic refrigerant - Freon - evacuating the units and cleaning the Freon could have been a nice deal for the salvage yard. 

Wouldn't surprise me, it looked like a pretty well run operation.

They had small mountains of the different metals and grades, easily pushing 100' tall.

On 8/3/2021 at 1:24 AM, Hook said:

Nope. We have no recycling around here. It’s not cost effective to send the trash to the states. It just goes in the landfill. 

Where is “here”? When wife and I visited Hawaii years ago and I commented about “the states” (meaning the lower 48) I was told in no uncertain terms that Hawaii is part of “the states”.

We don't have a lot of trash to disposed of but recycling has got to be a joke around here.  You pay a deposit on bottles and cans but almost no place to return them to and get your deposit back.  In our county we have one place which is the facility for mentally or physically handicapped, you can take them there but they are hoping for you to donate them rather than ask for the money.   Living rural I have a burn barrel which I use to get rid of a lot of stuff since no one wants paper and cardboard. What won't burn usually get donated to trash containers in the Walmart parking lot, since I never have enough to make a trip to the county landfill. 

19 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Where is “here”? When wife and I visited Hawaii years ago and I commented about “the states” (meaning the lower 48) I was told in no uncertain terms that Hawaii is part of “the states”.

Im in AK. K&K used to recycle some stuff but they gave up because it was just not cost effective for them. They used to buy copper wire up until about 10 years ago then they gave up because the junkies were going to construction sites and stealing the rolls of wire and burning the coating off and selling them the copper. The university had an un godly amount of rolls of wire stolen from them on a huge remodel job on like three buildings and K&K was buying so much of it and they put two and two together and let the troopers know what was going on. Shortly after that they gave up on buying copper.