Backing the blue... gone wrong

TBO

He should not have walked around and all. That was a serious impact when the wheel rips out like that. With adrenalin pumping you can walk with a broken neck or back and cause some serious damage on top of it. Whatever happened, chances are you will not "walk it off" right there. Some of his partners should have told him to lay down.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I imagine that happens a lot. People tend to drift into things they watch, when they drive. There was a gruesome wreck in San Antonio involving two state troopers, when I used to live there. They had someone pulled over on the inside shoulder of the freeway and a guy in a loaded cement truck ran over them and their car. It killed both Troopers and several people in the car that was pulled over.

• Sad 2

Bikers know the issue of "target fixation" but I think this can also apply to car drivers. And those blue lights can be a VERY strong target.

Always look where you want to drive / ride, not where the danger sits.

The few times I get pulled over, I try to get off the main street the very next opportunity or into a gas station if one is really close by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So DRIVER A gets pulled over for routine traffic stop. Unknown to OFFICER A, Driver A is toting the POT and gets nervous, calls his MOM who is following in Vehicle B a little ways back. MOM smashes into POLICE to distract him, knowing he'll  let DRIVER A go without a search. 

The old Smash into the Police Car Diversion Trick.

• Haha 1

I’ve been working with my daughter and son in law over the last two years in their fast growing towing business, and we see this a lot more often than one might suspect.

Causes can be listed as distracted driving, sleepiness/drowsiness, and even too tight of a focus if we’re set up incorrectly.  Drivers can become almost hypnotized by the flashing lights and drive right into them.  They’ll sometimes try to split the difference between two response vehicles if they’re more than six feet apart.

I’m 62 with a bad knee, and the only way they’d take me in is if I promised to stay off the trucks, but even as a shop monkey, I see things that can really surprise me.

I will say that I came across a wreck in the country after dark with no lights around except the EMS, Fire and police.  I almost came to a dead stop because I could not see.  The officer wasn't pleased but I would rather go super slow when I can't see.   I understand the need for bright LEDs but in some situations they can be a hazard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crockett said:

Bikers know the issue of "target fixation" but I think this can also apply to car drivers. And those blue lights can be a VERY strong target.

Always look where you want to drive / ride, not where the danger sits.

The few times I get pulled over, I try to get off the main street the very next opportunity or into a gas station if one is really close by.

Yup...e...

3 hours ago, Eric said:

I imagine that happens a lot. People tend to drift into things they watch, when they drive. There was a gruesome wreck in San Antonio involving two state troopers, when I used to live there. They had someone pulled over on the inside shoulder of the freeway and a guy in a loaded cement truck ran over them and their car. It killed both Troopers and several people in the car that was pulled over.

I'm quite the opposite when it comes seeing cops with their lights on parked.  I go out of my way to stay away from that area.  Not exactly sure why the cop who got hit felt the need to draw his sidearm.  I been rear ended many times while stuck in traffic and never once did I feel the need to pull a gun. 

25 minutes ago, Maser said:

Not exactly sure why the cop who got hit felt the need to draw his sidearm.

Buncha cops getting hurt these days by idiots that bought into the anti police hate in the media. Some nonjob may crash into a police car on purpose, and may produce a gun or get the car going again for another hit.

5 minutes ago, crockett said:

Buncha cops getting hurt these days by idiots that bought into the anti police hate in the media. Some nonjob may crash into a police car on purpose, and may produce a gun or get the car going again for another hit.

I highly doubt any cop hater out there is gonna deliberately total their car just to annoy a cop.  Unless of course they're rich cop haters.  Maybe sponsored by BLM?    

9 minutes ago, Maser said:

I highly doubt any cop hater out there is gonna deliberately total their car just to annoy a cop.  Unless of course they're rich cop haters.  Maybe sponsored by BLM?    

Walmart shopper hits cop with car after refusing to wear a mask

https://www.sunherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article244246362.html

NC DA says Andrew Brown Jr. hit cops with car before they opened fire

https://nypost.com/2021/04/29/nc-da-says-andrew-brown-hit-cops-with-car-before-shooting/

Students yelled 'hit him again' when cop was struck by car

• Sad 1