But wait!

gwalchmai

So long, Ron! I had a Pocket Fisherman...

https://apnews.com/article/business-arts-and-entertainment-ron-popeil-9b58dabb751fb23f7d08d0d32e32ca5f

https://apnews.com/article/business-arts-and-entertainment-ron-popeil-9b58dabb751fb23f7d08d0d32e32ca5f
Click to copy

Ron Popeil, inventor and king of TV pitchmen, dies at 86

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sad, he was entertaining and some of the products were great, maybe all but I didn't try them all. I have a rotisserie and a set of knives form Ronco. Both are over 20 years old, and going strong. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

The knife set still looks new and has performed every single time. It didn't cost a lot, so many discount them. These will last my lifetime as far as I can tell, and will cut to the bone faster than you can stop.

Vaya con Dios. I've been using that phrase way too often of late.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Administrators

I'm guessing that guy had a very interesting and fullfilling life. Not many people can make a good living being a mad scientist inventor. I saw a couple of interviews with him. He was a bit eccentric, which I think you might expect, but he was very engaging and obviously smart as hell. Congrats on a life well-lived. We should all be so lucky.

• Like 4

My grandparents got one of the latest new fangled cooking gadgets he was peddling a couple years ago. My grandfather raved about it. He had to take on more of the cooking duty after my grandmother's last stint in the hospital and I guess he had no interest in using the oven. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Sad.  Really cool Dude.  Bought a bunch of his stuff.  I LOVED the Pocket Fisherman!!!

10 hours ago, kerbie18 said:

What did you think of the Pocket Fisherman?

It was magnificent! It did everything it was advertised to do and did it surprisingly well. Took a bit of practice to master the "rod tip" action, and of course you had to work within the limitation of a one-foot rod, but it was good. You can still get 'em at the Amazon and eBay.