Remove Ray Ban logo?

Ricordo

Purchased Ray Ban sunglasses (polycarbonate lenses) which should be delivered today. It has the billboard logo and I need it removed.

I've been perennially cross eyed ever since a killer hornet stayed on top of my nose for what seemed like an eternity. It's OK, my brain adapted quite readily.

But with that  white logo, I'm certain my vision out of my left eye  will seem that it has a really bad case of cataracts.

How do I remove the logo on the right lens? IAT

231910307alt3?$prod_thmb2$&f=1&nofb=1

People probably buy tiny "ray ban" stickers and put them on their $2 sunglasses.

So they don't feel inadequate while posing at the mall in their UA / North Face / Pink / Nike outfits.

(there's actually a very high-priced bootleg market for the Canadian Goose patches)

• Sad 2

• Administrators

The lettering may be silkscreened on there. If it is, you will have to cut through it to remove it. A product I used to use on the polycarb faceshields of my helmets is Novus. It has a fine scratch remover, a heavy scratch remover and a polish. I doubt that it would be enough to remove the lettering by itself, but it might. Otherwise, you would need to use some very fine-grain sandpaper, like 2,500 or 3,000 grit and then finish up with the Novus.

This sort of thing takes a steady hand and you could easily trash the lens trying. I wouldn't attempt this unless you are confident you can do it and you are really sure you want to try.  You might get some cheaper polycarb glasses to practice with, if you want to attempt it. Most cheap sunglasses are not polycarb, but most safety glasses are, even the cheap ones. They don't have to have letters silkscreened on the lens. Just use them to practice sanding the lens and then polishing it back to clear, without creating a distortion. If you press too hard, or dwell too long on one spot, you will create a distrortion and that will be at least as distracting as the lettering. Be warned.

Anyway, that's all I've got. Good luck.

484773146_91fdxUQ73L._AC_SL1500_.jpg.c64ce53b1dfbf2325132ea326ebcdabf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

This is apparently something a lot of people ask about. There are several YouTube videos and other content posted about it.

I'll stand by what I said above, but you could try scraping the logo CAREFULLY off. There is a greater potential for damage to the lens, but it might help, if you are very careful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eric said:

BTW, if the polycarb lenses have a UV coating, or an sort of coating, you will cut through it with the sandpaper, or with heavy polishing.

Yes they do. UV400. And polarized. That was the main reason for them.

Sun here is very bright. Water is also very wet. 😁

• Like 1

• Administrators
Just now, Ricordo said:

Yes they do. UV400. And polarized. That was the main reason for them.

Sun here is very bright. Water is also very wet. 😁

Putting their logo on the lens is a shitty thing to do. I think I would buy another brand. I used to wear Maui Jim's. The polarizing always played hell with the polycarb faceshields on my helmet. The two would react and cause a shimmer, like a heat haze, everywhere the sun hit. I had to stop wearing them when I rode.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Ricordo said:

Purchased Ray Ban sunglasses (polycarbonate lenses) which should be delivered today. It has the billboard logo and I need it removed.

I've been perennially cross eyed ever since a killer hornet stayed on top of my nose for what seemed like an eternity. It's OK, my brain adapted quite readily.

But with that  white logo, I'm certain my vision out of my left eye  will seem that it has a really bad case of cataracts.

How do I remove the logo on the right lens? IAT

231910307alt3?$prod_thmb2$&f=1&nofb=1

Still got my Actual set of Ray Bans...BEFORE they started putting that crap on the Lens.

• Like 2

Eye glasses are "finicky". These are purposed to prevent, I'm not getting any younger.

My other pair is a prescription (myopia) whose frame is a Ray Ban Aviator purchased in 1975. It's a miracle it has lasted so long. Still  retains most of its yellow, have replaced the temple tips a few times and the nose pads.

Even though the lenses were updated in late 2019 , I see the same or better without them. It's usually been like that. An eye test in June of this year showed no need.

My DL has no restrictions. Go figure!

• Like 1

I been wearin these with prescription Lenses.  Got em back in the late 80's think it was.  Just stumbled across em about 3 years ago.  Took em down to my glasses dude and he whipped out a set of script lenses.  Have always worn These exact Carrera glasses with script lenses till I came back to the states.  My daughter tells me..."They're back in Style Dad!!!"  Uh huh...

image.png.5a0eb87bfe20b032c10ad9310038aabc.png

• Like 3

As far as I remember, I've only had 4 pairs. Beyond the one with the billboard now and the '75, an Aviator '71 that got really mangled in a soiree.

Then another Ray Ban Aviator sometime in the 70s, probably '74-'75,  that had the mirror lenses and the springy legs that wrapped behind the ears. Those were murder on my ears. I probably left them in some God-forsaken place. Have them torture someone else instead.

2 hours ago, Eric said:

A product I used to use on the polycarb faceshields of my helmets is Novus. 

484773146_91fdxUQ73L._AC_SL1500_.jpg.c64ce53b1dfbf2325132ea326ebcdabf.jpg

I use this on my Jeep soft top windows, works great.  12 year old windows look almost new.

I use it 3 or 4 times a year. NH weather

• Like 1