Sailor charged in Bonhomme Richard fire

aomagrat

6 hours ago, Gunboat1 said:

If found guilty,  a serious example needs to be made.   Death by firing squad. 

While I agree, I have a question. Has there ever been a US military execution by firing squad outside wartime? 

Also, what onboard conditions would allow a fire to reach such proportions? I think there's more to be investigated than just who lit the match... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

i`d still like to know exactly how it happened, ships being repaired or up fitted have pretty strict Security on board and guidelines to follow that are usually pretty specific about what can be stored and where.

I have been on three major ships during major maintenance periods, two aircraft carriers and an amphibious assault ship, a sister ship to Bonhomme Richard. During these periods when most ship's systems are shut down for maintenance, the passageways are festooned with temporary ducting, piping and cabling the length of the ship to provide necessary services. The airtight and watertight doors and hatches that would normally be closed during an emergency are blocked by all of the temporary stuff running through them, and some passageway have so much stuff running through them you cannot walk upright through them. All of this stuff can act like a wick during a fire and allow it to spread quickly. Of course fire safety is paramount during these periods. Every ship I was on had a temporary Fire Watch division manned by members of the crew specifically for these periods. That was twenty years ago. I don't know if they still do that. Major fires during shipyard maintenance are not unprecedented. In 1960 the aircraft carrier USS Constellation caught fire in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, killing over 50 people.

• Thanks 2

On 7/30/2021 at 7:31 AM, aomagrat said:

I have been on three major ships during major maintenance periods, two aircraft carriers and an amphibious assault ship, a sister ship to Bonhomme Richard. During these periods when most ship's systems are shut down for maintenance, the passageways are festooned with temporary ducting, piping and cabling the length of the ship to provide necessary services. The airtight and watertight doors and hatches that would normally be closed during an emergency are blocked by all of the temporary stuff running through them, and some passageway have so much stuff running through them you cannot walk upright through them. All of this stuff can act like a wick during a fire and allow it to spread quickly. Of course fire safety is paramount during these periods. Every ship I was on had a temporary Fire Watch division manned by members of the crew specifically for these periods. That was twenty years ago. I don't know if they still do that. Major fires during shipyard maintenance are not unprecedented. In 1960 the aircraft carrier USS Constellation caught fire in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, killing over 50 people.

This is exactly right.  Add much of the crew elsewhere, dust/debris/combustible stuff everywhere,  plus a poorly trained crew with some percentage of females who can't handle a charged hose and the exertion of fighting a major fire.  That's how you lose a two billion dollar ship, IN PORT.

My guess that the arsonist is a sailor man and the chain of command is also all males.  

The incompetence of the male dominated US Navy is beyond embarrassing.  Captains relieved of duties.  Admirals relieved of duties.  SEALs charged with murder.   

On 7/30/2021 at 4:18 AM, tadbart said:

This sailor set a TWO BILLION DOLLAR fire. 

That gets you MAD cred in the brig.  Ain't nobody getting shot over this. The New Navy is too soft for that.

Dock his pay until he pays for it? 

• Haha 1