Olympic Hell?

Batesmotel

Any one else there? My wife wants to see it all. She records it during the day and binges it all night. Right now I’m watching Men’s BMX Quarter Finals. 

Back to cleaning the kitchen. Then maybe go prep a few hundred pieces of rifle brass. Anything. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Last olympics I watched was in LA in 1984.

Mary Lou Retton made her country proud, along with many others. I guess she stands out because my grandmother loved her and was friends with some relative of hers so we watched all the gymnastics.

Overall though I remember being proud of my country, proud of our athletes and the work they invested. 

Today the Olympics have been turned into a giant hate America event by our media. It is a disservice to all athletes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm truly saddened.  Truly.

I use to love the Olympics..."Team" America!!!  Just not there anymore...don't give a ****.    It's all BLM and protest ****.  **** the Olympics.

When the Olympics use to be "Countrys, competing against Countrys"...EVERYBODY. watched the "Olympics"!!!  It was SPORTS!!!  And...Rootin FOR America!!  Ok...I'm gonna stop;...B|

!!!

Screw these "woke" mother  *******...and their "records".  The "olympics"...mean nothing anymore.  Thanks.."Woke mother *******'"...Nobody's watchin.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, holyjohnson said:

it was once about National Pride and Unity, now its about Political statements and virtue signalling.

once Professional Athletes were allowed to Compete it lost its meaning.

i have been in Olympic hell in years past, i do not miss it.

Truly Sad, Mr. Johnson, Truly sad.  Everything seems to be about black any more..and not "Spirit, Country, and Pride".  Naw.  **** the olympics....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Any one else there? My wife wants to see it all. She records it during the day and binges it all night. Right now I’m watching Men’s BMX Quarter Finals. 

Back to cleaning the kitchen. Then maybe go prep a few hundred pieces of rifle brass. Anything. 

I can relate. I have watched, recorded, VCR or digital, and binge watched in the evenings. I used to love the Games. I haven't watched a minute this year. I'm part of the ratings freefall that have grabbed the sponsors by the tender bits.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I haven't watched any of it in the last 20 years.  It got too annoying initially (they wasted too much time on their stupid athlete bios instead of showing the events I wanted to see, and then they'd just show "highlights" of those events instead of the entire final round... then we got rid of cable and the antennae, so the only "tv" available was whatever I could stick in the VCR (yeah, it was that long ago).  Then all tv seemed to go to hell in a woke handbasket, including the Olympics, so I've not watched it since, and it is unlikely I'll ever watch it again.  I loved it when I was a kid in the 70's though - it was WAY more fun then - I'd always watch the gymnastics, the skating, skiiing, all the track and field events, and any of the horseback riding they bothered to broadcast...  I miss that, and I'm sorry my kids never got to see it that way.

1 hour ago, aomagrat said:

I'm waiting for buffer riding to be an Olympic sport.

On the one hand I'm impressed, some of those ladies are really good at that sport.

On the other hand I know that is partly why workers comp is so freaking expensive.

If it's swimming, diving, or volleyball, I just turn the channel.  But, I did watch highlights of a U.S. women's rugby match on my Roku.  I was impressed.  It was seven a side rugby and very fast.  The U.S.  women played a very smart game and won.  Pleasant surprise. 

3 on 3 basketball was enjoyable. 

Now that they track and field events are starting, I'll probably tune in a bit more this weekend.  I've got my fingers crossed for some televised wrestling too.

Rock climbing might be weird to see scored, but I'll watch a highlight reel on it (if available). 

... and cycling ....

There, that covers about every sport I ever participated in (except shooting which won't be covered much).

But, they'll probably cover rhythm gymnastics or solo synchronized swimming. 

I thought this was kind of cool:

Trio of U.S. Shooters Claim Olympic Gold

by Guy J. Sagi -                                         Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Shooters from the United States have claimed three gold medals so far in the 2021 Olympics in Tokyo. The trio of first-place finishes include Men’s Skeet, Women’s Skeet and Men’s Air Rifle.

William Shaner captured the first Olympic medal ever claimed by the United States in Men’s Air Rifle. He did it in style, too, claiming gold in his first Olympics.

The University of Kentucky student told the Outdoor Wire, “It feels amazing. I’m only 20, but I’ve been doing this since I was eight. I’ve been doing this a long time, so I’ve been able to get a good score and progress. To finally achieve what I came here to do is amazing.”

Shaner held a 1.5-point lead over the People’s Republic of China’s Haoran Yang with two shots left. Yang closed ground, but not enough, and Shaner’s score of 251.6 claimed top spot on the podium. It also set a new Olympic record. “I just focused on my process and just competing and just stayed within myself and not focus on outcomes,” Shaner said.

Vincent Hancock won his third Olympic gold medal in Tokyo. He also became the first man in history to earn three golds in Men’s Skeet.

His drop to the ground immediately after the winning shot was widely thought to be an early celebration but, in reality, it was an effort to relieve the back pain he endured through the latter matches. “Just coming out here and trying to compete for a gold medal, it’s exhausting,” Hancock told a reporter for USA Today. “It truly is. Not everybody’s able to come out here and compete at the level that they want, so you never know.”

Colorado Springs, CO, native Amber English claimed gold in Women’s Skeet. Her final score of 56 hits also set a new Olympic record.

English’s road to the Olympics was a challenge, though. She failed to make the U.S. team in 2012. It didn’t work out in 2016, either, and on the heels of that disappointment her father—also an accomplished shooter—died. She found it hard to get back on the firing line for a time, joined the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, and after encouragement and support from Hancock has roared into Olympic-winning form.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2021/7/27/trio-of-us-shooters-claim-olympic-gold/

5 hours ago, DAKA said:

I watched a lot of the Tour De France.....does that count?    (Beautiful scenery)

Were you watching when the fool shoved some protest sign in front of the riders for som camera time? Hope that person gets sued back into obscurity then has earnings and assets seized to pay damages. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

There was one glorious moment in 1980 when I cared about the Olympics. I'll never forget that game. I didn't care before then and I haven't cared since. It's of no interest to me.